all posts post new thread

Barbell Daily Dose Deadlifts with Fat Gripz

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Kanji

Level 2 Valued Member
Hey, I am currently doing the Daily Dose Deadlift plan. I wondered if the DDD plan would be the same if I wanted to use the Fat Gripz on the bar? If I strictly use the fat Gripz, then would you test for the max without the fat Gripz? Just wondering thoughts on structuring. My goal is to have a great deadlift and also I am really into grip training and would like to have a goal of certifying in the captain of crush grippers. Thank you

Hey, I am currently doing the Daily Dose Deadlift plan. I wondered if the DDD plan would be the same if I wanted to use the Fat Gripz on the bar? If I strictly use the fat Gripz, then would you test for the max without the fat Gripz? Just wondering thoughts on structuring. My goal is to have a great deadlift and also I am really into grip training and would like to have a goal of certifying in the captain of crush grippers. Thank you
Pick one goal. Maybe do a run of all Fat Grip and then another run of regular.

-S-

I wouldn't let my grip ruin my deadlift practice. If I could deadlift as usual with the fat grips, fine. If not, I'd keep the grip training separate or use it only on warm-up or such.

Go for it. Using an Axle works great too. It will make grip the limiting factor in the pull, but for regular sub-maximal work that really should not present an issue. Most guys train at a lot less than 90-100% (Or at least should), so taxing the grip should not interfere too much in the back work. Have straps for the when the grip completely gives out or needs a day to recover.

I wouldn't let my grip ruin my deadlift practice. If I could deadlift as usual with the fat grips, fine. If not, I'd keep the grip training separate or use it only on warm-up or such.

Using an Axle works great too.
I've been starting my deadlift sessions with Jefferson (straddle) deadlifts on an axle. E.g., my most recent DL session was

Axle for 4 reps x 2 sets @ 265 lbs to start,
Standard bar for 3 reps Hack (behind the back) deadlifts @ 315 lbs,
Standard bar for conventional singles @ 300, 320, and 340 lbs.

I say all this by way of saying that the grip training, if you don't overdo it, can be part of one's deadlift training without ruining the session due to grip fatigue. The DDD plan does allow for warmups, so one approach could be to do those with the Fat Gripz. Daily Dose Deadlift Plan | StrongFirst - suggests 2-4 warmup reps.

IOW, there are a lot of ways this could be made to work.

-S-

I've been starting my deadlift sessions with Jefferson (straddle) deadlifts on an axle. E.g., my most recent DL session was

Axle for 4 reps x 2 sets @ 265 lbs to start,
Standard bar for 3 reps Hack (behind the back) deadlifts @ 315 lbs,
Standard bar for conventional singles @ 300, 320, and 340 lbs.

I say all this by way of saying that the grip training, if you don't overdo it, can be part of one's deadlift training without ruining the session due to grip fatigue. The DDD plan does allow for warmups, so one approach could be to do those with the Fat Gripz. Daily Dose Deadlift Plan | StrongFirst - suggests 2-4 warmup reps.

IOW, there are a lot of ways this could be made to work.

-S-
Thanks! Here’s another idea, let me know your thoughts. For the DDD it says 3-5 singles, so what if I did 2 or 3 reps with the fat Gripz and 2-3 reps with the regular grip/weight?

what if I did 2 or 3 reps with the fat Gripz and 2-3 reps with the regular grip/weight?
Possible but wouldn't be my first choice. The program's core is those 5 singles @ 75% 1RM. It might work as you've described it or might not. You'd be practicing a specialized variety version of the DL for half the daily lifts. I'd say it depends on things we don't know about you - for a relatively advanced DLer, maybe it works; for beginner/intermediate, it wouldn't be my first choice. We learn in PlanStrong that as a lifter gets more advanced, he/she can use more specialized variety.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom