all posts post new thread

Barbell Daily Dose Deadlifts with Swing Sandwiches?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

ThePartyRevanchist

Level 2 Valued Member
Hey everyone! I've been a follower of Dan John and Pavel's work for a while (as well as a lurker on some of these threads). I've just finished up a cycle of Easy Strength, and I'm looking to get to a 2x BW deadlift by the end of the year.

Derek Miller's Daily Dose Deadlifts plan looks great and I plan to start that next week. My question is if I can combine that with kettlebell overhead press and swing workouts without over training? Specifically, can I incorporate what Pavel calls "swing sandwich" workouts into my training after my 3-5 deadlift singles? I've read elsewhere that DDD allows you to do whatever else (within reason!) you like as long as you follow the plan 5 days a week. The articles in question: Daily Dose Deadlift Plan | The Kettlebell Swing Sandwich

This is the preliminary plan I've sketched out (warm-up consists of 10-25 goblet squats and 1-5 get-ups L/R):
Monday:
3-5 semi sumo deadlift (ddd plan)
3 x (1,2,3) dbl kb clean & press
fat grip farmer walk
5-10 ab wheel

Tuesday:
2 x [10 swings; 6 dbl kb press; 15 swings; 6 dbl kb press; 25 swings]
15-25 fat grip chin-ups
5-10 ab wheel

Wednesday:
2 x (10,15,25) swings
15-25 fat grip chin-ups
5-10 ab wheel

Thursday:
3 x (1,2) dbl kb clean&press
fat grip farmer walk
5-10 ab wheel

Friday:
2 x [10 swings; 6 dbl kb press; 15 swings; 6 dbl kb press; 25 swings]
15-25 fat grip chin-ups
5-10 ab wheel

Saturday:
2 x (10,15,25) swings
15-25 fat grip chin-ups
5-10 ab wheel

I've seen on other threads that others have successfully run DDD with S&S style swing and get-up work mixed in. Does the above seem reasonable? My primary goal obviously is to add weight to my deadlift, but I'd like to get stronger at the overhead press, improve my grip strength and maintain conditioning too.

Thanks, everyone!

@ThePartyRevanchist, welcome to the StrongFirst forum.

If you read the DDD article, it's specifically designed to allow other training, so you should be OK.

-S-

Hey everyone! I've been a follower of Dan John and Pavel's work for a while (as well as a lurker on some of these threads). I've just finished up a cycle of Easy Strength, and I'm looking to get to a 2x BW deadlift by the end of the year.

Derek Miller's Daily Dose Deadlifts plan looks great and I plan to start that next week. My question is if I can combine that with kettlebell overhead press and swing workouts without over training? Specifically, can I incorporate what Pavel calls "swing sandwich" workouts into my training after my 3-5 deadlift singles? I've read elsewhere that DDD allows you to do whatever else (within reason!) you like as long as you follow the plan 5 days a week. The articles in question: Daily Dose Deadlift Plan | The Kettlebell Swing Sandwich

This is the preliminary plan I've sketched out (warm-up consists of 10-25 goblet squats and 1-5 get-ups L/R):

I've seen on other threads that others have successfully run DDD with S&S style swing and get-up work mixed in. Does the above seem reasonable? My primary goal obviously is to add weight to my deadlift, but I'd like to get stronger at the overhead press, improve my grip strength and maintain conditioning too.

Thanks, everyone!
Welcome! As you have experience with ES (or probably EES), that should work, I think, as long as you manage your intensities appropriately.

I think you could use different rep schemes for your swings. Your rep ladders are more glycolytic and would necessitate a lighter bell and/or less powerful swings. Going a bit heavier but using sets of 5 or 10 (or ladders of 5,10) could be a good idea. Or including one day with sorta heavy dead stop swings. You get the idea. Some variability could be beneficial. You could also change some of these variables every two weeks.

Good luck and keep the goal the goal :)

Welcome! As you have experience with ES (or probably EES), that should work, I think, as long as you manage your intensities appropriately.

I think you could use different rep schemes for your swings. Your rep ladders are more glycolytic and would necessitate a lighter bell and/or less powerful swings. Going a bit heavier but using sets of 5 or 10 (or ladders of 5,10) could be a good idea. Or including one day with sorta heavy dead stop swings. You get the idea. Some variability could be beneficial. You could also change some of these variables every two weeks.

Good luck and keep the goal the goal :)
Thanks for the helpful advice, @Bauer! I like your suggestion for taking down the swings. I might try 5-10-15 for the swing sandwich and swing workouts and do an extra round. Or I could jump from 32kg to 24kg to 20kg as the reps increase. Either I think works. On the heavy clean & press day I'll definitely go for full recovery in between ladders.

In any case, I'll try this for a week and if the swings + presses + chin-ups feels like "too much" I'll up the rest periods quite a bit and cut back.

I'm really looking forward to DDD. I like Easy Strength, but as Dan says, I can see my own tendency to want to go too hard on the days that should be easier. Patience is a virtue I'm working on lol. Being told to only do 5 singles at 285-295lbs most days I think will be good for me. My current job is also quite demanding so I like these sorts of programs that keep my in good shape but don't leave me utterly drained.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom