all posts post new thread

Barbell Daily Dose of Deadlift vs. Vodka and Pickles

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

SamTX

Level 5 Valued Member
My goal is to pull 400+ this year. I'm just about all the way through one full cycle of DDD. I started very light, but have stuck with the cycle when I would normally jet for a different approach. In 2019, I really want to keep the goal the goal, as our dude Dan John would say.

As I transition into the next phase of training, I am thinking about switching to Vodka and Pickles or maybe a Justa Singles program for the next training block. I like to keep things fresh. That being said, I rely heavily on GTG-type training. (Note: And to piggyback on the Deadlift "physique" thread, I generally balance things out with some body-weight work.)

Is there some general wisdom about DDD or Vodka and Pickles that I should be aware of when making my decision about the next 6-12 weeks of deadlift training?

Daily Dose Deadlift Plan | StrongFirst
Kettlebells and Deadlifts Go Together Like Vodka and Pickles | StrongFirst

As I mentioned in a thread a few days ago, I think DDD is great to 'bump' up the deadlift when your main effort is on something else. In my case, my main effort was Right of Passage (which gets fairly demanding and has a high volume), when I simply reduced the number of swings/snatches and added Daily Dose Deadlifts. I got a 2x bodyweight deadlifts while expending little of my training energy doing deadlifts. (Mind you, it wasn't free. I was tired by the fifth day of deadlifts in a row, even if I only did five singles a day.) It was almost like a bonus to be able to bump up my deadlift .

But if my main goal was to improve my deadlift, I would pick a program that makes the deadlift the focus (or at least one of the focuses.)

The other thing to know is that by the author's own words DDD is less effective as you move past a double bodyweight deadlift. I don't know what you currently pull or your bodyweight, but it's something to consider.

@SamTX - I don't have any experience with DDD, however, I have run Vodka and Pickles and just started a new cycle yesterday. I don't have the time to hit the gym daily to deadlift so V&P works great for me. I do a single every 30-45 seconds and then hit another single until I hit my number. I've worked up to 415 for 10 singles in around seven minutes (last year).

Yesterday I started back with 15 singles with 315 in around nine minutes followed by 2 sets of 5 squats and then 5 snatches EMOM for 10 minutes at 24KG. The original program has you alternate between 5 x 5 squats one day and swings/snatches for 100-150 the next. I would rather reduce the number and do both and slowly increase the weight on squats and the minutes on the swings/snatches.

Tomorrow I'll add 20lbs to the deadlift and knock out 15 more singles in around the same amount of time. Everything from warm up to cool down is about an hour max. I hope this helps.

I've never done vodka + pickles but I have ridden daily dose well over 400 and double bodyweight at this point. Training snatch until the TSC but I plan to do it again and see if it's enough to get me over 500.

See what happens after you complete DDD...if you like it, don't hesitate to run it again.

Last edited:
I estimated a 275 pull and based my first cycle numbers accordingly, knowing it was a touch low. I pulled 325 fairly easily (but in a low gear for sure!) yesterday after roughly 40 DDD workouts.

I’m taking a look at the Surovetsky Program mentioned in another thread. It is two days / week.

Surovetsky's Powerlifting Programs | WODdrive.com

I estimated a 275 pull and based my first cycle numbers accordingly, knowing it was a touch low. I pulled 325 fairly easily (but in a low gear for sure!) yesterday after roughly 40 DDD workouts.
Well _that_ is a fine result - congratulations to you!

If your 75% was based on a 275 1RM, the extra 50 lbs of 1RM translates into about 40 lbs more @ 75% - you could run a second cycle of the DDD.

-S-

Yessir. That’s exactly where I landed. I will be doing another cycle of DDD. Good gains, and allows me to participate in other pursuits.

I will be running it at 240lbs for the 75% number.

I followed the DL/KB Pickles and Vodka routines 1 and 2.At the end,I was able to do a 2.25x bodyweight DL.I think I had another 10-15 pounds in me but didn't push it.The programs work.

I followed the DL/KB Pickles and Vodka routines 1 and 2.At the end,I was able to do a 2.25x bodyweight DL.I think I had another 10-15 pounds in me but didn't push it.The programs work.

What was your starting and ending deadlift ??

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom