all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Daily Dose Pushups?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

the hansenator

Level 6 Valued Member
Is there something like a Daily Dose plan for pushups?

I've been doing two sets/day to a comfortable stop, is that as good a plan as any? My goal is frequent practice without interfering with other activities. Actually, I've been doing a lot of yoga pushups, they've been helping me find my left serrates.

My shoulder has struggled with pushups but I know what's going on now and mostly want to work on form, frequent practice seems to work well for this. At the same time, feet elevated pike pushups go fine and I'd like to use that as a strength move. I'm hoping to work up to handstand pushups.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm trying to find a good match for my schedule so I'm looking for something that doesn't involve gtg or morning workouts. Something like the Daily Dose Deadlift works perfectly because I can do it in about 15 minutes every day after work. I've been doing my pushups between deadlift reps and that's been working well so far but I wanted to see what other people thought.

Tim Anderson of Original Strength suggests doing 5 sets of 10 perfect (normal/military) pushups daily to prepare yourself for whatever life throws at you

This could be done in 15 minutes pretty easily, 1 set, wait a few, second set, wait a few,, etc.

Dan John, in The Hardstyle Kettlebell Challenge, prescribes 15-25 pushups daily along side your kettlebell work.

personally, I think about a minute spent in the chaturanga position (stopping half way through pushup and holding there) is good for the day if you are into isometrics

Hello,

This is possible to wave difficulty (and so volume) using different pace. For instance, 3111 (3s for the negative, 1 bottom hold, 1 positive, 1 top hold). If you do this,100 push ups a day can become pretty tough

Kind regards,

Pet'

I've settled on a three/week plan. Between my first three Daily Dose Deadlift reps I've been doing yoga pushups and then regular pushups after the last two reps. So far it's going well. The reps have increased a bit but, more importantly, the reps have been getting better. I figure as long as I'm making progress I won't mess with it.

Hello,

To maintain the volume - meaning the time under tension - it is possible to change the pace. This makes the training easier to schedule because there are less sets.

For instance, if we assume 300 reps a day, at 1111 pace, it becomes only 150 reps at 5111. Basically 10 sets of 30 becomes 5 sets of 30. This is what I do and it is pretty "comfortable".

Kind regards,

Pet'

For instance, if we assume 300 reps a day,
Pet'
I'll set that as a long term goal.

Right now I'm at sets of 7 reps, this week I plan to bump it up to sets of 8. Not too impressive but a whole lot better than sets of "Ouch, that hurts".

Hello

@the hansenator
As long as we progress without being injured but being satisfied with what we do, this is the most important ! This is not a meet :)

Breathing is important to get good volume as well. Exhaling during the positive phase, inhaling during the negative.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I just do one strict, slow set a day to almost failure. It does not interfere with anything and I do it just before going to lunch so it is a routine. I tried GTG and did not get enough reps into the day when I got busy working. It was easy to forget. I also don't bench, so going to almost failure on it seemed to help balance my pressing volume and pullups, both of which are staples and priorities compared to pushups.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom