all posts post new thread

Barbell Daily Dose Thread

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
If your goal is to lift more, i.e., improve your 1RM, finding the right weight is tricky. E.g., I'd start at 75% 1RM but what I recall hearing from Pavel is that some people need to go quite heavy for it to be effective in improving 1RM strength, and then it gets to be a fine line between GTG'ing heavy enough and overtraining.

It's certainly worth a try if you're in the mood for it.

-S-

mmm... OK

I always thought GTG is somewhere around 85% - 90% 1RM (a weight you can do 5 reps with).
OK, when I write it I see why it can be borderline overtraining with a very taxing lift... probably you need to get used to high volume deadlifts before... maybe give a try to one of Justa's singles program...

I couldn't GTG w/ 90% DL's. In my last serious training cycle before the current one, I maxed out at 88% of my previous 1RM in training, and that weight turned out to be 85% of my new max. So that was _zero_ lifts at 90% and very few at 85% over a training cycle - I can't imagine GTG with that.

I think I might get away with 80% for GTG but I'd start with 75%, maybe even lower, and see how it went. OTOH, I could do 80% in the kettlebell 1-arm military press GTG easily, and 85% also seems reasonable.

I have never tried GTG DL - just offering my opinion here, no training experience or science to back it up.

-S-

I think I understand what you mean, most EES deadlift programs I've seen (Justa's singles, DDD, John McKean's program from Easy Strength) are 70% - 75%, so It seems like it is indeed a good place to start...

We must remember that the goal of GTG is to accumulate a lot of volume without fatigue. I'm not sure _any_ form of high-volume deadlifting is possible without a lot of fatigue. I know that I have never managed to achieve that, and have regularly bumped into overtraining my deadlift.

Again, not saying it can't work, just saying it doesn't sound great to me based on what I've heard and what I've experienced. The DDD, e.g., is 25 lifts in 7 calendar days - that's rather the opposite of what one might aim for with GTG. The DDD is the lowest volume DL program I've been on, and it is currently my favorite program - and I think its low volume, spread out over 5 out of 7 days, is why.

-S-

I just watched the video I mention again. Pavel does not talk about GTG deadlift, but that if you can take long GTG-like rest periods between sets it would be better than "standard" rest periods (probably not possible at commercial gyms).

Hello,

I experienced overtraining one year ago : always exhausted, no progression (even regression)... Too heavy workouts, too often will tend to overtraining. I don't consider a training which is not good for health.

In my case, I only want to lift a bit more, but without exhaustion.

I observed that for my strength goal, combined to my rythm of life and my recovery periods, I manage better low heavy reps in a short and every day training than a 2/3 days protocole with longer sessions

This match well with @Steve Freides 's explanation and his advice for me to begin DDD

Kind regards,

Pet'

I just watched the video I mention again. Pavel does not talk about GTG deadlift, but that if you can take long GTG-like rest periods between sets it would be better than "standard" rest periods (probably not possible at commercial gyms).
Yes, I typically do a single set and walk out of my basement gym before returning for the next one. Not an option for those who don't train at home, I realize, but has stood me in good stead for many years.

-S-

I think I might get away with 80% for GTG but I'd start with 75%, maybe even lower, and see how it went. OTOH, I could do 80% in the kettlebell 1-arm military press GTG easily, and 85% also seems reasonable.
-S-

This thread leads to Dan John paper compiling some of Pavel's advice (page 7). He mentions GTG big lifts (O'lift, Squat, Pull) at 80% in a 6 weeks "cycle"

@Steve Freides I've decided to use the Daily Dose Deadlift for the next 45 workouts (roughly 9 weeks, assuming 5 days on 2 days off over every 7 week cycle). I was going to start my own thread but figured I'd just plug it in here.

I'm assuming my 1RM is my bodyweight times 1.0 because (ta da) that makes 135 lbs -- or the bar plus a 45 plate on each side -- my starting weight and I'm lazy as well as innumerate.

At this relatively low weight I will probably use 32k kb as the warm up deadlift. For some strange reason, a single kb deadlift warm up seems to tighten me up better than conventional deads, I don't know why.

Hello,

@Benedictine Monk
I'm assuming my 1RM is my bodyweight

I am currently doing DDDL program.

What is / are your goal(s) ?

Depending on them, if you want this program to be efficient and increase your 1RM, you may firstly look for your current 1RM. Sure it is at least 1,2 or 1,3 times your bdw.

However, what I like on your approach is to start relatively light. I guess you will consolidate your DL and this give you a strong basis (both technical and about the weight) to lift heavier after.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@Benedictine Monk

I am currently doing DDDL program.

What is / are your goal(s) ?

Depending on them, if you want this program to be efficient and increase your 1RM, you may firstly look for your current 1RM. Sure it is at least 1,2 or 1,3 times your bdw.

However, what I like on your approach is to start relatively light. I guess you will consolidate your DL and this give you a strong basis (both technical and about the weight) to lift heavier after.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Yes - I'm starting light. I've got some interesting issues with my lower legs (nothing serious, but need to be careful not to aggravate them). I also think I have some lingering overtraining issues because I was pushing it too hard doing S&S without understanding getting rid of the stop watch and not controlling my breathing properly.

By sheer coincidence, knowing that I have to start with one 45 lb wheel on each side as my 75% weight and that bodyweight means there's a 25 lb wheel added on each side makes it easy to visualize my goal for the 9 weeks or 45 workouts.

I tried a step pattern for my workouts (plateau at a weight before moving up again) with PTTP and for whatever reason it doesn't seem to work so I need some waviness and this plan might be just the ticket.

@pet' that program would not be my choice, particularly for a beginning deadlifter.

-S-

Hello,

I consider myself as a beginning deadlifter. Besides, this move is not part of my current routine because I am into your "daily dose press program".

It was just a proposal for more Advanced deadlifter than me.

For curiosity, how do you analize this program (may be it could avoid some mistakes!)

Kind regards,

Pet '

No "mistakes", just all kinds of stuff - max tension w/ 135 lbs. All nice but too many moving parts for me but I'm sure it would work for some people. The DDD - 75% 1RM for 5 singles every day. Simple, effective.

-S-

I'm on Week 2 and just finished my first bump up in weight last night. My body is still adapting to daily deadlifting but I'm already experiencing a WTH effect, even at a weight below bodyweight. I'm really intrigued.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom