all posts post new thread

Barbell Daily Dose Thread

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Hello,

@Benedictine Monk
You will be even more positively surprised if you do heavy swings at the same time.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I'm not going to mess with success. So far, so good. I am trying to cure "random acts of weakness" that were preventing me from making as much progress in the swing as I should. I seemed to have weakness at the upper edge of the erector spinae and the lower range of motion of one of my glutes as well as "part" of my front core.

My lower legs are struggling a bit to adapt, so I'm not going to push my luck, but I went to shovel snow the past 2 days and found it easier than when I was "only" swinging. Bizarre. Not merely an increase in strength but an increase in work capacity.

Bizarre. Not merely an increase in strength but an increase in work capacity.
1st, you deadlift 5 days a week, it improves work capacity.
2nd, when you get stronger a fixed given effort seems lighter, therefore you can endure it longer.

So you probably both got stronger and improved work capacity...

Hello,

+1 @Shahaf Levin

I would add that you can find similar effect on almost every daily-basis program. You feel the same for S&S. I felt it when I did DDDL, and the 10k swings challenge. That is a very good feeling isn't it ?

If it becomes really too eays, you can slightly adapt the DD and increase weight earlier, or increase it more (but in due time)

Kind regards,

Pet'

I didn't see this specifically addressed in either the thread or the article, and this may be a dumb question, but to make sure I'm interpreting it correctly...

Lifting five days a week, say M-F with weekends off, and Day 7 is the first >75% day. So I'd be lifting my first >75% lifts on a Tuesday, correct? (Week 1 M-F as Days 1-5, and Week 2 M-T as Days 6-7)

@Steve Freides How often did you do specialized variety on the DDD plan? I like the simplicity of just sticking to one stance, but in his article he says to specialized variety. I was thinking of doing an alternate stance one day a week as one of my five days. How does that sound to you?

As a side note, I have a lot of respect for the strength you have achieved given your history and age. Keep up the good work, sir!

I play it by ear, e.g., yesterday, a student was watching me and I did three different stances for my five singles, and we discussed the differences as I went. Sometimes, I do them touch-and-go, not a different stance but still qualifies as different. For me, it's like doing pull-ups, chin-ups, and neutral grip. I actually think a lot of variety is best and, as meet time draws closer, you try to hone the form you're going to use at the meet so you practice it more and the others less.

As a side note, I have a lot of respect for the strength you have achieved given your history and age. Keep up the good work, sir!
Thanks, and I'm doing my best to continue. I am planning to pull a lifetime PR at either my next meet or the one after that - training goes well, DL's feel relatively easy.

-S-

I will run this in July, anyone got a light crawl+swing program that you can run together with the DDD?
You can do S&S with it - swing, getup, deadlift. Or modify, e.g., I generally do swings more often than I do getups. You might also do swing, pullup, getup. Many possibilities here.

-S-

Hello,

I will run this in July, anyone got a light crawl+swing program that you can run together with the DDD?
I ran DDD last year, with daily 32kg OA swings with very good results. It was not taxing and did not lead my to exhaustion or overtraining.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

Running S&T along with DDD is a wise choice because this is a combination which gives an excellent overall strength.

If you do S&T and DDD during the same session, it might be a good idea to do press work first, as Pavel advises in PTTP ;)

300 weekly swings are often considered as a good DL assistance exercise in that case because this number seems to be the "minimum effective dose" to progress for the DL while maintaining a good conditoning.

Kind regards,

Pet'

@stevein7 I noticed your question to @Steve Freides on the second page of this thread. How has that split worked out for you? I'm thinking about doing something similar.

Then piggybacking off of that, I noticed in your response, Steve, that you put swings first. Just curious as to why you prefer to place swings as your first exercise? I was looking at doing a press variation (which for now is simply getups), deadlifts, and then swings (EMOM and keeping HR under my Maf number). I'm wide open to trying that and you have a ton of experience, so I'm very interested to hear your reasoning.

I'm not sure if this is relevant to add, but I'm currently doing conventional, double-overhand deadlifts. Grip is a weak point and I know part of it is a tension issue. Lots of singles at a moderate weight should help over time. I know I'm giving up 50-75 pounds, but I'm good with that for now. The only concern is if OA swings and getups will tax my grip too much prior to deadlifts. Any and all feedback is welcome and appreciated!

Best,
zcz8408

@zcz8408, welcome to StrongFirst!

I follow S & S for this. In that program, swings are first because explosive work is programmed before strength. (Swings as strength-endurance work aren't the same thing.)

I do swings in short sets in long rests (lately 20 sets of 5-7 reps OTM) and then rest a bit in order to feel fresh for my strength training. I program deadlifts last because, for me, I don't want to compromise other lifts and my DL's work my whole body well.

Does that answer your question?

-S-

@Steve Freides That's a big help, thanks! My swings and snatches have been very similar to what you described for yourself and I've had success performing explosive work (short sprints, box jumps, Olympic lifts, etc.) on the front end of training sessions on other programs in the past. I'll put them first for this cycle of DDD and let the results dictate future programming. Thanks, Steve!

Just completed this program, and I'm very impressed with the results. I've been working with Kettlebells for 3 years, and S&S for the last 2 years with very minimal barbell work. After completing the Simple goals, I was struggling with jumping up to the next higher weight so I was looking for a barbell program to boost my overall strength and ability to handle heavier weights...enter Daily Dose Deadlift!

I followed the program as prescribed using my initial max of 275lbs as the input. Well, a few months later I tested again after completing the program and my max attempt session looked as follows:
1x135lb
1x205lb
1x275lb - Previous max
1x315lb
1x335lb - PR!

Something very satisfying about looking at all those big wheels after you've pulled them! I also added roughly 6lbs of bodyweight (from 187 to 193lbs), most of which seemed to land in my glutes and hamstrings.

I should add, either a WTH effect of S&S/Kettlebells or of Daily Dose (or both), but all pulls were performed with Overhand grip for both hands and grip was never an issue. I've certainly never picked up that much weight before, but I never felt my grip struggling at any point during the workouts or during the max session. I've never done any focused grip training either.

I'll also add that I have much better form after focusing very hard on good form through every rep for all the workouts.

Now that I've completed the program as prescribed, I plan to restart with my new max, but also want to work in S&S before I do the deadlifts. I don't expect the same results, since I'm altering the program, but want to get more cardio and strength endurance work in as well.

Hello,

@jkvandal
Congratulations !

DDL and S&S work just perfectly together. Depending on the weight you use for S&S, it also makes your DL much more powerful ! At least, that is what I felt.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello to everyonn! Thats my first time on the forum.
@NoahMarek Pavel mentions in PTP that you can start a cycle (when the weight is lower) with your weakest stance and when you approach heavy lifts you change to your normal stance.
Kind regards,

Max

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom