all posts post new thread

Barbell Daily Dose Thread

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Just finished my first ever barbell program, followed the DDD for 9 weeks, started with an assumed max of 100kg.

I really liked that the program gave ample practice to refine the deadlift technique. Didn't have trouble with the 5 singles on any days, initially I was doing it in conjunction with front squats and after that program finished I added chins after the DL.

I tested today and managed 130kg (which happens to be 1.75 x bw), 140 didn't want to budge at all, perhaps I should have gone up in smaller increments. Happy with the number as its also day 19 of 20 hours a day of fasts.

@Faisal, your max went up a large amount - 30%. That's great, enjoy and don't worry about 140 kg not budging. If 140 kg had gone up, then you would have tried 150 and that wouldn't have budged. We all stop somewhere.

What will now be fun and educational is you using 75% of 130 kg for your next round of the DDD.

-S-

here it is, the DDD thread. One decent, strong rep with 75% up to five, up to five give or take a day a week. I love such guidelines. This is pure beauty. Pondering on it, it would be a nice and strong way, to have DDSteinborn.

The DDD concept is an Even Easier Strength idea, IMHO. I did my most recent cycle by lifting 4 days per week, 6 lifts per day, and took a powerlifter-like 10 days after the last heavy training day before my meet. I also mixed singles and various other rep schemes but rarely went over 6 per day.

-S-

The DDD concept is an Even Easier Strength idea, IMHO. I did my most recent cycle by lifting 4 days per week, 6 lifts per day, and took a powerlifter-like 10 days after the last heavy training day before my meet. I also mixed singles and various other rep schemes but rarely went over 6 per day.
... and having a third in the bank.
the -S- man.

I'm brand new to (barbell) deadlifts and am planning to start my training with this program. I have done kettlebell deadlifts as a warmup/drill for S&S for 10 months.

When I got my set, I practiced with 135lb, then added 50lb and then 20, and stopped there. So I'm going with 205 max (1.0x bodyweight) and 155 as the 75% base for the daily pulls.

I would love to pull 250 at the end of August to start a second cycle to peak at the TSC (hopefully to pull 300 there, which is 1.5x bodyweight). Is that realistic for a newbie?

I am still focused on achieving Simple (I'm close) but I don't think the Daily Dose program will detract fro that, unlike other programs. Am I correct in that assumption?

I'm brand new to (barbell) deadlifts and am planning to start my training with this program. I have done kettlebell deadlifts as a warmup/drill for S&S for 10 months.

When I got my set, I practiced with 135lb, then added 50lb and then 20, and stopped there. So I'm going with 205 max (1.0x bodyweight) and 155 as the 75% base for the daily pulls.

I would love to pull 250 at the end of August to start a second cycle to peak at the TSC (hopefully to pull 300 there, which is 1.5x bodyweight). Is that realistic for a newbie?

I am still focused on achieving Simple (I'm close) but I don't think the Daily Dose program will detract fro that, unlike other programs. Am I correct in that assumption?

I think 300 pounds is perfectly achievable. You might get there sooner than you think.

I don't think the DD deadlifts should detract significantly from your S&S practice.

Sean, your background is similar to mine and I think your target numbers are very realistic, I think you will do better than 250 by the end. I had never touched a barbell before starting DDD, I had done KB deadlifts and 4 years of KB stuff.

I weighed 165lb (75kg) when I started DDD and assumed my max to be 220lbs (100kg). 165lb for daily singles felt very easy and I was more than happy with my numbers at the end.

PS: I was doing first 6 weeks of DDD alongside double 32kg front squats, which battered my arms but the DL kept going strong.

@Sean M, what you're proposing sounds fine, but if you stopped before you got near a max, then I'd either repeat the test or put some more weight on the bar.

I predict you'll pull 410 within 12 months of starting to deadlift.

-S-

@Sean M, what you're proposing sounds fine, but if you stopped before you got near a max, then I'd either repeat the test or put some more weight on the bar.

I predict you'll pull 410 within 12 months of starting to deadlift.

-S-
Whew, that would be something!

Maybe I'll repeat the test at the end of this week when rested. My first test was right after hauling all the plates into the basement from the store to the car, then car to the house. And without any practice of technique (kettlebell to barbell has some nuance). If I can pull more with that test, I'll base the DDD daily weight on the new 75% of max.

Currently on roughly my second cycle, I began with an estimated 340 1rm, pulled 355 fairly easily without even chalking up.

Best part is the program is recyclable

@Sean M I found the the 5 step deadlift setup from Starting Strength immensely useful.

It is covered in a video series done for Art of Manliness and in another video by Alan Thrall - highly recommend both.

@Sean M I found the the 5 step deadlift setup from Starting Strength immensely useful.

It is covered in a video series done for Art of Manliness and in another video by Alan Thrall - highly recommend both.
Yes, I love Alan Thrall's channel and that video in particular is very helpful. I'm going to film myself for each pull this week to hone in technique on these 5 steps.

Form check? This is my second real deadlift session.

Bar over center of foot, shoulder blades over bar, straight back, driving through the heels, vertical bar path (lats keeping it against the body), hinging out of the way on the way down.

Could you post a video where you whole body is visible at lockout? The lower back looks just slightly rounded when the lift starts, and if it stays in that position its probably fine, but if it moves into a flat or extended position it could be something to fix. The rest of the setup looks good to me.
I'm new to venturing out with technique pointers so all you experienced teachers correct anything wrong in this.

Could you post a video where you whole body is visible at lockout? The lower back looks just slightly rounded when the lift starts, and if it stays in that position its probably fine, but if it moves into a flat or extended position it could be something to fix. The rest of the setup looks good to me.
I'm new to venturing out with technique pointers so all you experienced teachers correct anything wrong in this.
Thanks - yes I'll try next time for a full view at lockout. I employ the "crush a walnut" cue I use with KB ballistics, and "anti-shrug".

It looks like a good deadlift, especially for your second time doing it. It also looks lighter than 75% of your max, maybe you are stronger than 205, I could imagine at least 2 plates if not more. If you stay tight and maintain that form you could progress the lift faster PTTP style.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom