all posts post new thread

Barbell Daily Dose Thread

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
It is not wrong. It could be a good idea to try for you. Just try to still have your weight on your heels.

You could also try to take a bit wider stance with the conventional. It will be a longer way to lift but maybe still easier. Also give rotating your feet a bit out a shot if you haven't yet.

Are you in contact with the bar all the time?
Thanks. Yeah I keep experimenting with stance width, toe angle, etc to find the most balanced and strongest position.

You mentioned weight - this footage was 80% (185) per the program. 1RM from last week's test was 230, and I did all week at 175 (75%). Are you saying that didn't look heavy enough to be 80%?

If so, I'm okay with it. For this first cycle, I'm honing technique and just getting used to pulling heavy (relative to a 70-lb kettlebell up to this point) weight off the floor. End of August I'll test again with better technique and should be able to pull much more, as the basis for my next cycle going into the TSC.

It's hard to say how hard it was but it wasn't terribly hard, was it? In any case I wouldn't worry about weight in the phase you're in. You make the biggest progress now. 80% today may be the 70% of tomorrow. Just keep doing what you're doing.

Into week 2, going good!

Week 2, Day 1:

Sticking with conventional stance. This is the "Starting Strength" setup.

Week 2, Day 3:

This is the StrongFirst setup from @Brett Jones' excellent (and timely) recent article. This feels stronger to me, and more familiar - like a slow-motion kettlebell swing. I also added pauses at the "liftoff" to better feel/practice the leg drive.

The StrongFirst setup is clearly making you tighter - keep up the good work.

-S-

Week 3 peak day (90%), last Saturday:

If 90% is 3RM, I'd say 205 was about right - I could do 3 but not 4 reps at that weight. Will be interested to compare this to week 6 (92%, 210).

This is week 4 peak day (82%, 190):

This week my focus was on power breathing, specifically getting tight at the hinge.

Loving the program. My legs feel stronger, my inner thighs have started chafing, my wife has noticed my traps are harder than they used to be, and I have no low back pain/tweaks as I would occasionally experience.

@Sean M just keep doing what you're doing. When the bar starts to slow down, don't give up or get disheartened. Some slow pulls will do you good, too.

Nice work, keep it up.

-S-

Week 5 (87.5%, 200lb):

Week 6 (92.5%, 210lb):

(Cleaned out my basement after week 5; I now have a dedicated "strength corner" that will also house my KB's when it gets too cold to train outside)

210 felt solid. Amazing to think I *thought* 205 was my max 6 weeks ago when I started deadlifting.

Plan now is to take a few days off. Then Tuesday or Wednesday next week:
  • Warmup: goblet squats @ 35, 53, 70; KB deadlift 1 x 5 @ 70; 1 set of 5 @ 135
  • Sets of 5 starting at 200
  • Add 10 pounds per set
  • Decrease reps as needed; when "3 but not 4" reached, increase in 5lb increments
  • When "2 but not 3" is reached, switch to semi-sumo, then split grip until true "2 but not 3" is determined
  • Done for the day; extrapolate 1RM from there
Is that a good progression for a "sort of max" session? I'll plan to record and post it.

After that, I'm following this plan from the gym I will be going to for the TSC.

Video - looks good. Keep it up.

Plan for "sort of max" day - I wouldn't do as much before your work sets as you do on a normal day, and I certainly wouldn't do more than normal. I see no need to test in 5-4-3-2-1 format, and I honestly wouldn't do kettlebell deadlifts either, unless you really feel they help you groove the movement pattern.

Your DDD lift is 75%, so let's figure you're for at least 250. I'd do 200 x 3, 220 x 2, 240 x 1 and see if you feel like doing more.

-S-

Video - looks good. Keep it up.

Plan for "sort of max" day - I wouldn't do as much before your work sets as you do on a normal day, and I certainly wouldn't do more than normal. I see no need to test in 5-4-3-2-1 format, and I honestly wouldn't do kettlebell deadlifts either, unless you really feel they help you groove the movement pattern.

Your DDD lift is 75%, so let's figure you're for at least 250. I'd do 200 x 3, 220 x 2, 240 x 1 and see if you feel like doing more.

-S-
Thanks, that is even simpler. I believe 250 is doable too.

Took a few days off from deadlifting after concluding DDDL last weekend.

Started the program with a tested 1RM of 230 (barbell newbie) at 200 bodyweight.

Tested today and worked up to 260. I got 270 an inch or two off the floor, so I'll attempt 270 in a few days.

Feels great! The TSC prep program I'm going to start next week (the gym I'm going to for the TSC) calls for 5x5 at 70% to start, working up to doubling today's single max the week before the TSC. The second day of deadlift each week is 9-10 reps Easy Strength style (2 sets of 5, 5-3-2, 3 sets of 3, 3-2-3-2, etc) between 70-90%.

Am I within striking distance of 300 at the TSC?

You have 270 already, just too many heavier singles leading up to it today.

So 195 will be your 75% for your next DDD cycle?

-S-

Congratulations on the new PR!

I agree with Steve. When testing for a new PR it's important to leave enough gas in the tank for the finish line.

I think you have the bar too far from you. You should easily have 270 lbs and more in you if you had the bar in contact with your legs all the way up and down. Maybe try thinking of pulling the bar towards you instead of pulling it up.

@Antti, he's new to all this. I think he'll have a more appropriate ramp-up for the next round. He really didn't know this time.

I agree - more lats to keep the bar close, and I would also counsel letting the knees come forward a little more at the start to avoid getting stuck there. And really push into the floor at the start.

-S-

@Sean M, you are already strong enough to pull 300 but you'll have to figure out form/technique at the start for it to happen. Don't sweat it, you will get there, just don't know precisely when.

-S-

@Steve Freides @Antti Thank you for the feedback and encouragement.

Keeping the bar close and pushing through the ground will be my focus for the next cycle (TSC prep, not another DDDL this time). I have only pulled above 220 a handful of times - the dynamics and nuances are amplified at heavier weight.

Daily pulls at 75% did a lot of good for me (technique, groove, setup, and just getting used to pulling my bodyweight or more off the floor), but I learned a lot from the heavy pulls (heavier even than the 80-92.5% days in the program) yesterday.

This is one of the good things about the DDD, once you get it dialed in to real weights for you - every 7th lifting session, you're doing something heavier. My last 92% day was a rude awakening - the weight didn't budge at first, and I realized I need to have my "A game" to get it going. And that realization, in turn, reminded me that I should be practicing my "A game" all the time, just at a lower level of intensity, which I wasn't doing.

Keep on keepin' on, @Sean M .

-S-

@Sean M PTTP next? You have become confident with Deadlifting. Good work.

Maybe building experience,through volume in the 70% range, will build your technique and bar path.
Thanks! Next is TSC :) I'm going to follow this plan from the gym where I'll be attending the TSC. It alternates a linear peaking cycle with Easy Strength days in the 70-90% range.

RoP after that, then I'm thinking an Easy Strength cycle focused on bodyweight push and squat (OAP progression and pistols), deadlift, kettlebell swing/snatch, and hanging leg-raise.

@Sean M, nice work!

That looked like it's getting near a true max, and IMHO, you ought to back off now. Be content with that lift, do the math for your next training cycle based on a max of 270, and enjoy your results. I know you're not doing another DDD now, but if you were, I'd round up and use 205.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom