all posts post new thread

Barbell Daily Dose Thread

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
How much do you all switch stance and/or grip when on this program? I do max pulls sumo with a mixed grip, but in my second cycle of DDD (started a few days ago), I'm making an effort to do most, if not all, of the pulls on 75% days in conventional stance with double overhand grip for some specialized variety and to build grip strength (a weak link for me). Then on the heavier days, I'll probably switch to sumo with mixed grip. Anyone have thoughts on the topic?

How much do you all switch stance and/or grip when on this program? I do max pulls sumo with a mixed grip, but in my second cycle of DDD (started a few days ago), I'm making an effort to do most, if not all, of the pulls on 75% days in conventional stance with double overhand grip for some specialized variety and to build grip strength (a weak link for me). Then on the heavier days, I'll probably switch to sumo with mixed grip. Anyone have thoughts on the topic?
I think the article talks about it. I’m using DDDL to practice the skill (new to me), so still experimenting with the best stance for me.

@dcc449 Many powerlifters progress their Deadlift by training the other style for a while. Same but different is worth a fair test to see if it helps you. I would stick with one stance for a while 6-8 weeks, but changing could be done on lighter and heavier days.

Mixed, hook, or straps on heavier days, and Double Overhand on lighter days.

I think the article talks about it. I’m using DDDL to practice the skill (new to me), so still experimenting with the best stance for me.

I took a look at the article again, he definitely mentions that specific variety is something to incorporate, and suggests things like stance, grip, and depth variations, but doesn't give much in the way of specifics. Perhaps I'm overthinking it and its not a huge deal so long as you change it up a bit here and there. I definitely don't see myself incorporating any deficit lifting this cycle, but will continue mixing in stance and grip variations on the light days and see how it goes.

The simplest way, IMHO, to incorporate specific variety into the DDD is to do your warmups with a different grip or form, then switch to your strongest stance for the 5 work reps.

-S-

I did it last year all conventional, now I'm doing it all sumo...that's it. I'm adjusting my stance over time to find what feels the best, but other than that I don't vary it intentionally.

e: I also stick to overhand grip, mostly. Thanks to the kettlebell swings I can go relatively heavy with an overhand grip. Towards the end of the last DDD run, I did maybe 7 or so mixed grip sessions to get used to it for the actual 1RM.

Last edited:
I'm in my fourth week of the Daily Dose. It's going well - The 75% weight feels significantly easier than when I started and my confidence is increasing. Would it be a bad idea to add a little more weight in the middle of the program?

Would it be a bad idea to add a little more weight in the middle of the program?
Yes.
It should feel easy and effortless.
Just do the routine as written.

Two quotes for you and everyone else who asks questions like that:
1) If you have to ask, you're not qualified to change the program.
2) Do a a routine as written at least once before making changes to it.

@the hansenator, I wouldn't change the weight, but you might consider changing your format a little, e.g., if you've been doing singles on long rests, you could try slightly shorter rests or even doubles. I've done this with good results, and the few times I've run the DDD, I've started with singles and ended up with doubles and triples but kept the weight the same.

-S-

Thanks, that sounds fun.

Just to make sure I understand - That would still be 5 sets but more than 5 reps?

Maybe I'll try making the first set a double and see how it goes for a few days.
DDDL is 5 singles, so I believe Steve is referring to occasionally pulling doubles, but keeping it to 5 reps for the day, e.g. 1,2,1,1

What @Sean M said. The rep total doesn't change. I did 6 reps, 4 days a week, so I would sometimes do 6 singles, sometimes 3 doubles, sometimes 2 triples.

-S-

Oh, ok. Thanks.

Actually, the weight felt a bit heavier today, probably because I was more active than usual during the last couple of days. I'm re-thinking that I'll take @Kettlebelephant advice and do the program as written. If I have extra energy maybe I'll add some kb squats a couple times per week.

Please reread the original blog here - the program is designed to coexist with other training.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom