all posts post new thread

Barbell Daily Dose Thread

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Very cool interpretation... I might have to try it - it would go really nicely with the PM, I think. Thanks, Steve.

Mind you, that's about the only accommodation to age I'm willing to make, and I may even do it 5 days per week the next time I try it. Just sayin' ....

-S-

Discovering the DDD has been perfect timing for me- I've been struggling with how to program deadlifts into my hybrid barbell/kettle bell program until I discovered Derek's program. Justa Singles has 'justa' bit too much volume for me at this stage, so DDD is the final link. I owe the StrongFirst organization a bit thank you for all the free information and programs. So I'll be putting in an order for some merchandise today. I don't know how to contact Derek Miller directly- but my posterior chain thanks him nonetheless!

Discovering the DDD has been perfect timing for me- I've been struggling with how to program deadlifts into my hybrid barbell/kettle bell program until I discovered Derek's program.
Coming from the TSC where I pulled 210kg, I started DDD yesterday with 71,5% thus 150kg. I did not deadlift for a long time. I did a cycle with DDD once, it must have been two years ago and I loved it massively, because it fits so well with other stuff, its repeatable, over time so many opportunities to groove a set up, using some variety.

Discovering the DDD has been perfect timing for me- I've been struggling with how to program deadlifts into my hybrid barbell/kettle bell program until I discovered Derek's program. Justa Singles has 'justa' bit too much volume for me at this stage, so DDD is the final link. I owe the StrongFirst organization a bit thank you for all the free information and programs. So I'll be putting in an order for some merchandise today. I don't know how to contact Derek Miller directly- but my posterior chain thanks him nonetheless!
Works great for me, this is my third cycle. Never deadlifted before last summer, and I believe this was a solid foundation. Multiple rep sets are still ugly for me, so frequent practice of the setup and winding up that tension is perfect for the 1-2x bodyweight phase.

Today’s 85% lifts:

Interestingly, the “liftoff” is no longer the hard part, but rather from about mid-shin to mid-thigh. Any suggestions?

Interestingly, the “liftoff” is no longer the hard part, but rather from about mid-shin to mid-thigh. Any suggestions?
Yes, keep deadlifting. :)

All kidding aside, you might try some lighter DL's with a focus on moving quickly through that part of the ROM. In my experience, this sort of thing doesn't help everyone but it does help many.

-S-

@Sean M If you look at the first rep of the 85% lifts, where it is more obvious, in your "hard part", you stopped pushing with the hips and started lifting with the back. Your lower body stays completely static between the mid-shin and knee positions of the bar. It's easy to see by looking at the position of your hips relative to the red valve in the background in that range of motion. I did not look at all your reps, but this also happens in at least one of the other reps. It's less obvious at normal speed, but if you look at the video at quarter speed it is easy to see. I didn't see that in your 80% lifts of April 10. Try concentrating on wedging all the way through.

Maybe the hips stopping in this position is caused by something you do earlier in the lift that causes you to be out of position at that stage. If I had to guess, I would say that your shoulders may not raise enough at the start of the lift, which requires that you raise them later. Your back angle at mid-shin is more upright in the 80% video than in the 85% video. That would happen if your back wasn't tight enough in the first second 85% lift. It may be simply not strong enough relative to your hips and the cure would be as @Steve Freides said "keep deadlifting". Take that with a grain of salt as I don't have any barbell certification, but next time you lift heavy (85% or more), pay attention to the first second of the lift and really try to wedge.

When I want to troubleshoot a lift, I look at my reps before doing the next set. Here, you would do one rep, go to your phone and look at the video, analyze, do the other rep while paying attention to where the lift did not look good, repeat. This increases your rest a bit between reps, but is a gold mine if you can't get a trainer to look at you in person.

Last edited:
@Sean M If you look at the first rep of the 85% lifts, where it is more obvious, in your "hard part", you stopped pushing with the hips and started lifting with the back. Your lower body stays completely static between the mid-shin and knee positions of the bar. It's easy to see by looking at the position of your hips relative to the red valve in the background in that range of motion. I did not look at all your reps, but this also happens in at least one of the other reps. It's less obvious at normal speed, but if you look at the video at quarter speed it is easy to see. I didn't see that in your 80% lifts of April 10. Try concentrating on wedging all the way through.

Maybe the hips stopping in this position is caused by something you do earlier in the lift that causes you to be out of position at that stage. If I had to guess, I would say that your shoulders may not raise enough at the start of the lift, which requires that you raise them later. Your back angle at mid-shin is more upright in the 80% video than in the 85% video. That would happen if your back wasn't tight enough in the first second 85% lift. It may be simply not strong enough relative to your hips and the cure would be as @Steve Freides said "keep deadlifting". Take that with a grain of salt as I don't have any barbell certification, but next time you lift heavy (85% or more), pay attention to the first second of the lift and really try to wedge.

When I want to troubleshoot a lift, I look at my reps before doing the next set. Here, you would do one rep, go to your phone and look at the video, analyze, do the other rep while paying attention to where the lift did not look good, repeat. This increases your rest a bit between reps, but is a gold mine if you can't get a trainer to look at you in person.
Thanks, that’s really helpful! I am focusing on the wedge, starting with liftoff but now will focus on the middle third of the lift.

I do record each rep of heavy lift days and review during the rest period (on heavy days I pull every 5:00; on 75% days every 2:00), but I will start reviewing at 1/4 speed as well, good idea.

I had not considered adjusting the rest period on heavy days....excellent. I'd like to think I would have thought of this....eventually.

Here is today’s 90% session:

Second set was a “no rep”. I reset at the bottom and let my but drop, losing leverage. I should’ve stood up and reset completely.

Third set felt the strongest.

This mini-peak came at just the right time. I’m ready for a few weeks of lighter work before a final peak day (92%) at the end.

Today’s 87% set:

First and last reps felt the best. Third one I got some torque, must’ve lost the lat connection keeping my supine arm pulled in.

Bout a week and a half until the 92% (275) day. After that I may test for a best set of 2-3, as I only have 300lb of plates. Saving up for a 28kg bell next.

@Sean M, I would like to see you with tighter glutes at the top. You may have tight hip flexors which prevent this. (I just posted in the Double Bodyweight DL thread, but you can't really see what I mean, I don't think, because of the camera angle and my arms get in the way, but perhaps it's useful to you to have a look.)

Look for a used pair of 45's - they're out there on your local craigslist, ebay, etc.

-S-

@Sean M, I would like to see you with tighter glutes at the top. You may have tight hip flexors which prevent this. (I just posted in the Double Bodyweight DL thread, but you can't really see what I mean, I don't think, because of the camera angle and my arms get in the way, but perhaps it's useful to you to have a look.)

Look for a used pair of 45's - they're out there on your local craigslist, ebay, etc.

-S-
Thanks, I should’ve stretched them more now that you mention it. I did some cleans and squats earlier in the evening, but had otherwise been sitting all day.

@Sean M I am no expert. Looks like your setup (or attempt to wedge) is soft compared to your own video (or Hec's) here.

Daily Dose Thread
Yes, I got harder with it toward the end. Last set I pulled with each arm before initiating the main pull.

My daily weight (225) is getting almost too light; I may have lost the focus/tension that heavier reps require. Need to refocus for the last few sessions of the program to end strong.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom