all posts post new thread

Barbell Daily Dose Thread

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
SF,

I'm coming to the end of a cycle of the Daily Dose, and am considering following it with 5/3/2 PTTP programming for my deadlift so I'm wondering if I really need to max after this cycle if this is my plan. I enjoy training more than maxing, and I figure I'll end up piling on weight eventually with PTTP anyway.

Thanks,
Monty

PS - Sorry if this hijacks, it just seemed like the most relevant place to post.

@f_montgomery, go for a training max. Just do what feels like a heavy single that, if you waited 10 minutes, you could do again. A real 1RM isn't something you'd want to repeat 10 minutes later or even a few days later.

-S-

@Steve Freides, Thanks for the reply. How many days off on either side of this type of max are appropriate? I know the DD calls for 2-4, but I've heard of much longer rests than that.

Days off before a max test - depends on you, depends on how much of a max test it's going to be. If a "sort of" max, then I think 2-4 days is sufficient.

-S-

Finished the cycle today, 5 singles @ 275 (92% of old 1RM of 300):

Felt great. The 90% day a few weeks ago felt heavier, so that's progress.

Should I try for 300 x 2 next week, like between RoP Medium (Monday) and RoP Light (Wednesday)? I only have 300 pounds of bar and plates at this time, otherwise I would try for 315.

In any case, the remainder of June my focus is finishing RoP, and in July I'm planning to do Dry Fighting Weight again, so I may pick it back up in August (PTTP/S&S?).

Third cycle of DDDL, day 14 (85%):

I have a 300# actual PR in January. My last DDDL cycle was based on that. Then, absent more plates, I am basing this cycle on 315 (235 daily weight).

But, this felt too easy for 85%...maybe I’ll see what the 90% day feels like. I think I can get one more cycle (based on 330) out of this plate set. 28kg kettlebell is the top of my shopping list right now.

@Drock thanks! Will I run this program again? Absolutely, yes! As for how I tested my 1RM max, I did this: 3x135, 1x225, 1x245, 1x265, 1x275, 1x285 (fail).

@Steve Freides I rested rest of the last week, ate with not much restrictions. I plan want to test again this week; I will use the approach you mentioned and let the forum know how it went. I am not disappointed really, I feel that during the course of the program, my deadlift form is much more solid (I will post a video soon for you to critique). I learned a lot. For example, I feel the 'push' through the legs into the floor before I 'pull' lately, the nuances are coming into play. My tensing the body, generating body tension, and keeping it, like you said fighting to maintain it when I test, is where I need work. Yes, there is a lot to learn. I am still a newbie. If not for you, I would not be deadlifting today, so thank you. Your wise words are always helpful, Steve.

Abdul. As Steve stated, I think fewer warmup sets would be better for you! Your warmups are very close to your max lift and thus probably tire you out a bit! I would recommend before you max out, instead of just guessing where you are at via warmups, have a goal at the end of the cycle i.e. for you 300 lbs is in reach! Instead of hitting many sets @ 75 % or above, try something like so. 135 x 5, 185 x 3, 225 x 1, 265 x 1, 300 x 1. Utilize your warmups like practice sets, focusing each one as if it's like your max attempt and keep the max you're going for in your mind, imagining you are succeeding every time. Rest more between sets and spend this time visualizing this max attempt! I've followed a lot of your posts and I am certain you can pull 300 sooner then you may think ( maybe even now with a proper approach). Treat the warmup sets as perfect practice and don't rush through them!

@Philippe Geoffrion My daily deadlift program was some time back! Currently I am running PTTP cycles with deadlift and benchpress. Thank you for your valuable feedback. I like your idea about using the imagination. I will work on it.

Treat the warmup sets as perfect practice and don't rush through them!
I will keep this in mind. Absolutely. Excellent tip. I remember reading about this John McCallum's book.

for you 300 lbs is in reach!.....I am certain you can pull 300 sooner then you may think
Though it took longer that I anticipated, I have reached this a few weeks back :) 305lbs :). Here is the link

Thanks again.

@Philippe Geoffrion My daily deadlift program was some time back! Currently I am running PTTP cycles with deadlift and benchpress. Thank you for your valuable feedback. I like your idea about using the imagination. I will work on it.

I will keep this in mind. Absolutely. Excellent tip. I remember reading about this John McCallum's book.

Though it took longer that I anticipated, I have reached this a few weeks back :) 305lbs :). Here is the link

Thanks again.

Ah excellent! Just saw the video! Congrats! 3 plates are right around the corner! I also noticed you deadlift in Olympic shoes! Have you ever tried pulling without them? I think I recall a quote from Pavel's book from Paul Anderson who said "I've never met anyone who can deadlift more with a raised heel, than without".

Congrats! 3 plates are right around the corner!
Thank you. Yes, my next goal is 315lbs.

Have you ever tried pulling without them? I think I recall a quote from Pavel's book from Paul Anderson
I used to lift using chucks before. Then a few months back I been squatting a bit, when I switched to these shoes. I did not bother to take them off for the deadlifts. You know what, I can return to chucks.

Thank you. Yes, my next goal is 315lbs.

I used to lift using chucks before. Then a few months back I been squatting a bit, when I switched to these shoes. I did not bother to take them off for the deadlifts. You know what, I can return to chucks.

I' ve done the same thing, working squats, the bench, and then moved right on to DL's with lifting shoes still on. I don't believe it would be a problem with weights in the lower percentages.
Some say it works the quads more. Some folks even put small plates under their heels to accomplish this. I have no personal knowledge thst it works.

DDL #7 today for me

Carl in Dover

Deadlifts in Oly shoes seems like asking for trouble to me. I understand the reasoning, but for more quad work, I squat in those Oly shoes, high bar back or front version, and I do trap bar deadlifts.

IMHO, there's the lift, and there are assistance exercises. Deadlifting in Oly shoes blurs the distinction and not in a good way.

JMO, YMMV.

-S-

Hi all

Not sure if this is the right place to pose my question. I did the DDD some time ago with great succes. I took my deadlift from 180-205 kg at a bodyweight of 88-89 kg. When reading through the article again it is not recommended for people with a heavier deadlift than 2.0 x bw - or at least it is not as effective.

I would like to further progress my deadlift. I have two small kids so recovery could certainly be better which is one of the reasons I loved DDD and also easy strength.

What would be an appropriate deadlift program? I would like to also bench press in this program and maybe do some swings, but I would like to keep the exercises at a minimum. If recovery might be an issue what would be recommended? Easy strength? Or 5/3/1? Or have some of you tried other programs that are "easy" to recover from?

I can train as many or as few days a week as recommended by the way

Any advice would be much appreciated - and sorry if this should not be posted here..

Kind regards

Mads

Go to the DDD blog and leave a comment with a link to this thread and your post in particular. I think new comments cause the author to be notified. If Derek doesn’t reply, PM him on the forum or let me know and I’ll track him down.

-S-

Go to the DDD blog and leave a comment with a link to this thread and your post in particular. I think new comments cause the author to be notified. If Derek doesn’t reply, PM him on the forum or let me know and I’ll track him down.

-S-
Thank you. For some reason I can´t post anything on the original blog. And I can´t find "derek miller" in the PM conversation forum - unless I am doing something wrong, I would be very grateful if you could put me in contact..

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom