all posts post new thread

Barbell Daily Dose Thread

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Phil12

Level 8 Valued Member
Has anyone else done or completed the Daily Dose?

Daily Dose Deadlift Plan - StrongFirst

I saw this when it was posted and filed it away for a high-stress time in my life, which turned out to be only a few months away.

I've been enjoying it so far, but I'm only on day #5, so I haven't done a heavy day yet.

I haven't done this before, but I might just give this a try - thanks for the reminder.

-S-

The heavy days are a great opportunity to record ones deadlifts once in a week or so without obsessing over it

I have done it one cycle through. Never really deadlifted before. Went from a max of 300lb to 395lb.... beginner gains I'm sure but I look forward to going through another cycle soon.

I haven't done this before, but I might just give this a try - thanks for the reminder.

-S-
Steve et al

Could the Daily dose be applied to Bench, OHP, Squat? It seems like a little more structured Easy Strength, but only one lift. I wonder if you could follow your "normal" workout, but use the daily dose for 1 lift and, i.e. Deadlift Cycle, then a Bench Cycle, Then a Squat Cycle then OHP. Or use for a lagging lift.

The deadlift seems to play by different rules than other lifts, although one trains it more like other lifts when one is squatting in the same cycle, IMHO. Generally speaking, I think you might find the volume too low for other lifts.

-S-

@morrisda You may want to read the comments on that article. I believe a few people discussed using this program for other lifts and Derek replied to them.

Chugging along here, just hit the 90% day and almost halfway through. Really digging this program.

I went through two daily dose cycles, but not for the deadlift. Instead, I used the bent press and double kettlebell snatch. I also bothered the author Derek about the application of this method, and we were communicating how to apply it for ballistics (the snatch).

In the 1st cycle, I was pretty successfull going from 44 to 50 kg in the bent press and from 60 to 64 kg for the snatch.

The 2nd cycle was partly successfull - I improved my bent press to 52 kg right hand and 56 kg left hand, but the snatch stayed the same level.

In general, I believe the program is very good for grinds.

@Boicis very interesting. Were you doing singles on the snatches? I'd love to try something like that, but I don't have 4kg increment kettlebells.

I'm somewhat past halfway now, really pleased with how the 70% deadlift is flying off the floor.

kbell12,
I was doing doubles for the snatch. I own adjustable kettlebells with 2 kg increment option, so I can vary +/- 4 kg for the two. But of course, the percentages were rather rounded.

Weights question.

When you do the math 75%, 80%, 82%...etc and we when we get an odd numbers, what weight should we be using? For example:
75% of 265 = 198.75, so use 200?
80% of 265 = 212, so use 215?
85% of 265 = 225.25 so use 225?
90% of 265 = 238.5, so use 240?
...and so on. In other words use the next big 5 multiple? Right?

Thanks.

I just went to nearest 5 (212 = 210, 213 = 215) but yeah it doesn't really matter.

After completing the program, the one piece of advice I would proffer is remembering you can do as little as 3 singles. 5 singles felt good most days but there are 1-2 of the heavy days I wish I had backed off.

This sounds a good programming. Might try it after PTTP block to milk some more...

The deadlift seems to play by different rules than other lifts, although one trains it more like other lifts when one is squatting in the same cycle, IMHO. Generally speaking, I think you might find the volume too low for other lifts.
Agreed. I have had people never deadlift more than they squat for work sets, and when they max out they can still deadlift considerably more than they squat.

With squats, people can both tolerate and seem to require a larger volume. This is why there is a 20 rep squat programme, but no 20 rep deadlift programme - or rather, there is, but I have only met one person who did it.

Bench and press just take ages to get up regardless of the volume and intensity...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom