all posts post new thread

Nutrition Dairy causing issues? Alternative calorie source?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I’m smashing a bunch of meat (mainly grass fed ribeye and salmon) each week (2-3 servings of each). Pork is super sketchy here (goes bad in about 12 hours after you get home) from what I’ve been able to find but fish, imported beef, and most chicken is pretty safe.

My main question is; what are some alternatives to whole milk for easy calories and protein while on a bulk?
Protein powder, butter, MCT oil, coconut oil, cinnamon, blended with coffee.

I’ll have to try that combo. I’ve done butter or coconut oil in coffee, and I’ve had coffee in protein shakes before as well.
Current product I have in calories: Whey powder, 120 cals. per serv. One table spoon of the others, butter 100, coco. oil 120, MCT oil 130.
470 cals.

Big fan of Beverly International's Ultimate Muscle Protein. High quality 80/20 casein whey. They have sales so we normally get it for $30/container (~$1/serving).

Whey protein powder is still somewhat like milk, but you might find you tolerate it better. I put 2 scoops in a blender with 2 tablespoons of peanut butter and ice cubes.

There are also vegan protein powders - those formulations have come a long way - we get one here from 1stphorm.com that both my sons prefer to anything else they've tried. Neither is vegan/vegetarian, they just like those protein powders best, and they are regular drinkers of them. I just have a protein shake once in a while, maybe once a week or so.

-S-

It may just be the excess sugar in the whole milk when consumed in large quantities that is messing me up.
“When people were given a 300 calorie drink containing glucose, or fructose, or orange juice, those receiving the glucose had a large increase in oxidative and inflammatory stress (reactive oxygen species, and NF-kappaB binding), and those changes were absent in those receiving the fructose or orange juice (Ghanim, et al., 2007)”

Whey protein powder is still somewhat like milk, but you might find you tolerate it better. I put 2 scoops in a blender with 2 tablespoons of peanut butter and ice cubes.

There are also vegan protein powders - those formulations have come a long way - we get one here from 1stphorm.com that both my sons prefer to anything else they've tried. Neither is vegan/vegetarian, they just like those protein powders best, and they are regular drinkers of them. I just have a protein shake once in a while, maybe once a week or so.

-S-
I’ll know how I react to whey protein next week. I ordered a pound bag of ON Good Standard (chocolate) to try in coffee, water, and yogurt. If it doesn’t cause any stomach issues I’ll grab a bigger tub when I use up this one.

I’m super cautious about plant based stuff because of the estrogen (particularly soy). I’m not sure about the newer options though.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom