all posts post new thread

Nutrition Dairy causing issues? Alternative calorie source?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Andi-in-BKK

Level 5 Valued Member
For the past three or four months I’ve been gradually increasing calories trying to build muscle mass, and it has been working like a charm, I’m up 15kg and my body fat percentage has stayed pretty consistent even as I’ve gained weight.

My trouble is this: as I’ve been getting into the 3300-3500kcal/day I’ve been cheating a bit by pulling a Mark Rippetoe and smashing around 3/4-1 gallon of milk a day. It’s been a big boost in calories with a good amount of protein which makes hitting that 160-170g/day easier. Only trouble is, that much milk is giving my stomach trouble. Heart burn, bowel trouble (too much not too little), etc. I arrived at that conclusion this past weekend when we ran out for a day and I had a day without it and I didn’t have any stomach pain.

My question is, is there another good way to get the same level of calories and protein without having to stuff myself on chicken and rice etc? Or should I be looking at coming off of my bulk and letting my body reset for a bit?

You've gained 15kg of lean mass in three or four months? That's... That's more than most people gain in thirty or fourty years, ever.

If you're on a bulk for a short while, I wouldn't worry about where the calories come from. After you make sure you get enough micronutrients etc, just eat something palatable.

You've gained 15kg of lean mass in three or four months? That's... That's more than most people gain in thirty or fourty years, ever.

If you're on a bulk for a short while, I wouldn't worry about where the calories come from. After you make sure you get enough micronutrients etc, just eat something palatable.
To clarify, I gained 15kg total (76kg to 91kg) and my BF% stayed close (may have gone up a percentage point or three, stomach stayed about the same size on the tape using Naval Method of neck, gut, height, and weight). Probably closer to 8kg LBM (64.5kg to 72.5kg) gained. I’m naturally around 84kg so I’m looking valley to peak, plus my family has decent genetics for putting on muscle (dad was a stud at my age).

I had cut down pretty light for me trying to make the 76kg weight division for a BJJ competition without having to drop water weight or do anything drastic, so the weight came back pretty fast initially (fat gain) after switching from 1500ish calories per day to 2500 initially(along with having BJJ and for lockdown- 4-5x 2 hour sessions a week down to zero), then in 300cal jumps every other month or so. I plateaued around 86kg for a few months as well and only jumped to 90-92 in the past few weeks while at 3300 per day. Took advantage of the time and recovery ability to start lifting heavy and putting on muscle and it worked.

I may try to reset my stomach for a few days with just bland food and a few fewer calories to see if that helps then try milk again and make sure it’s not something else triggering it. Milk is just super convenient for calories with all the processed crap that other dirty bulk stuff has in it. I may also just need to cut this bulk cycle off (4 months already) and just take in maintenance for a few months.

Milk is great. Nothing wrong with it. Pity if you can't handle it.

Though it may well be time for something different for a while.

You could definitely consider some Lactaid pills to see if they help you tolerate milk better.

Nuts. Loaded with energy. High protein too. Easy for snacks, easy to eat too many.
Chuck em in with your breakfast, make nut balls from crushed nuts and dates.
So so easy to knock back 500 calorie without realising it. Proper stuff, energy, protein, minerals, vitamins from a mix of whatever you like.
Chocolate Brazil nuts. Can't go wrong....

You could definitely consider some Lactaid pills to see if they help you tolerate milk better.
Or simply buy lactaid milk? I’m lactose intolerant but had no issue with lactaid milk; real milk with the lactose removed.

Or simply buy lactaid milk? I’m lactose intolerant but had no issue with lactaid milk; real milk with the lactose removed.

Or maybe A2 cow milk which matches the enzyme humans have in their milk. However, I’ve never tried it and it’s been awhile since I’ve read about it but my info preceded me actually seeing a product on shelves.

The theory is that most cattle we use to mass -produce milk is from cows that have a mutated enzyme (A-1 something) instead of the A2 eg Jerseys. A1 is said to cause issues when consumed by humans. I believe A2 milk comes from non-mutated Southern European cows if I remember correctly. Please search, if interested.

Last edited:
I’ll have to see what’s available here (Thailand) with regards to replacement dairy products. Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Have you considered protein powders? I've been bulking on eggs, chicken, and beef before but I got tired of it so I switched to protein shakes eventually.

I second the A2 idea, and or goat milk. Could also try supplementing with HMO powder, human milk oligosaccharides.
Quality raw milk also an option.

A while back, camel milk was available at a store near me. Thirty bucks a liter. I did not try on general principle. Wish I had, but the price gave me an attitude problem.

Last edited:
Have you considered protein powders? I've been bulking on eggs, chicken, and beef before but I got tired of it so I switched to protein shakes eventually.
It’s looking like I’m going to have to go this way. It’s wild, at 3000cal/day I feel like I’m forced feeding all the time. I don’t understand how people can do 5000 and up cleanly.

How does your stomach handle Greek yogurt or cottage cheese? Both have large amounts of protein and the bacteria in them may make it easier for you to digest. I'm eating 250+ calories of protein a day, with 50 of that coming from protein shakes and the rest from my meals, but I add a lot of yogurt and cottage cheese as they are easy to put down and have high protein counts.

How does your stomach handle Greek yogurt or cottage cheese? Both have large amounts of protein and the bacteria in them may make it easier for you to digest. I'm eating 250+ calories of protein a day, with 50 of that coming from protein shakes and the rest from my meals, but I add a lot of yogurt and cottage cheese as they are easy to put down and have high protein counts.
I am assuming it would handle it pretty well, it has in the past at least, but then again it never had an issue with milk until recent macro-dosing.

I really love almost all forms of dairy. Greek yogurt is great, and I can’t believe I hadn’t thought about that one yet. Thanks!

Most widely available milk is not milk in its natural form due to the pasteurisation process. Raw milk is available in some locations

I am told that the Mongols could not tolerate the large amounts of dairy they used so they relied on fermented milk products

Double cream cuts out the sugar that is present in other dairy products. Some argue that sugars and large amounts of fat should not be consumed at the same time

not sure if I’m understanding the question… but have you considered meat?

Make a pork butt once a week and get your protein. If you have a Weber I can give you a great recipe for smoked pulled pork that is easy and hands off

not sure if I’m understanding the question… but have you considered meat?

Make a pork butt once a week and get your protein. If you have a Weber I can give you a great recipe for smoked pulled pork that is easy and hands off
I’m smashing a bunch of meat (mainly grass fed ribeye and salmon) each week (2-3 servings of each). Pork is super sketchy here (goes bad in about 12 hours after you get home) from what I’ve been able to find but fish, imported beef, and most chicken is pretty safe.

My main question is; what are some alternatives to whole milk for easy calories and protein while on a bulk?

Most widely available milk is not milk in its natural form due to the pasteurisation process. Raw milk is available in some locations

I am told that the Mongols could not tolerate the large amounts of dairy they used so they relied on fermented milk products

Double cream cuts out the sugar that is present in other dairy products. Some argue that sugars and large amounts of fat should not be consumed at the same time
Here in Thailand, fermented milk is pretty common. It tastes like key lime pie juice. But it’s sold in very small servings (1-2 oz) so consuming massive quantities would be difficult.

I also drink a lot of heavy cream (usually with coffee) but it’s also sold in smaller sizes and is relatively expensive (300THB/$10USD) for a quart. From what I can tell, cream doesn’t affect my stomach in the same way whole milk does.

It may just be the excess sugar in the whole milk when consumed in large quantities that is messing me up. I’m giving my stomach a break for a few days and trying to replace calories by eating more eggs, bacon, Greek yogurt, plus an extra meal of steak and salmon (I’m not hitting 3300-3500 but I’m getting close to 3000 with is better than nothing). I’ll go back to dairy slowly and see if it’s an actual permanent problem or just a temporary thing.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom