all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Dan John & Pavel ”working on a project”

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Nacho

Level 6 Valued Member
I have been following Dan John for a while and he seems to be almost a bit annoyed when people ask a question about S&S, since its not his program etc. (You can find Dan John mentioned in the book like 10 times, so no wonder people ask questions... ) But I kept on wondering if Dan & Pavel are not very close anymore and even if there is some conflict between them. So I was pleased to hear this.

At 29:25

Thanks for sharing @Nacho! I was under the same impression, so that is great to hear.

The bit starts already at 27:50, starting with RKC etc.

"Pavel and I are working on a project together. I don't know how much I can tell you. But let me just say: For those of you asking, you are getting what you want."

I think there are a lot of great things in the works, as people like Fabio Zonin, Pavel Macek, Chief Pavel himself, Dan John, Craig Marker, and probably a few others seem to be working on new material :) We just need patience, ha!

Last edited:
I have been following Dan John for a while and he seems to be almost a bit annoyed when people ask a question about S&S, since its not his program etc. (You can find Dan John mentioned in the book like 10 times, so no wonder people ask questions... ) But I kept on wondering if Dan & Pavel are not very close anymore and even if there is some conflict between them. So I was pleased to hear this.

At 29:25

Great news!

Two titans. If it’s even half as good as Easy Strength, we are in for a real treat.

I’ve been one of those guys who’ve been asking for this. DJ’s new book Attempts covers some of this. I love the Easy Strength concepts but always felt the book was a bit messy. Now that a lot of us have been working with it and sharing our experience I think an update could be really powerful.

So I’m all for Easiest Strength!

Doc. Maff. now groovin' the grease...

If I may... Browse Dr. Maffetone’s website and take a look at the Slow Weights article. Pure gold!

If I may... Browse Dr. Maffetone’s website and take a look at the Slow Weights article. Pure gold!
If I may... Slow Weights: Get stronger bones and muscles without going for a workout | Dr. Phil Maffetone
and...

Very nice! Avoid fatigue, go heavy with compound exercises (~80%1RM), 1-6 reps, generous rest. Feel stronger afterwards.

Reminds of the way @Steve Freides seems to lift. I think Steve has said that, if the rest is not a fixed interval in a plan, he will usually just do a set here and there (mostly deadlifts and presses), and work on something else meanwhile.

Reminds of the way @Steve Freides seems to lift. I think Steve has said that, if the rest is not a fixed interval in a plan, he will usually just do a set here and there (mostly deadlifts and presses), and work on something else meanwhile.
Yes. My basement office is between my main basement gym, which is in an addition we put onto the house 20 years ago, and my dedicated deadlift area in the older portion of our basement, which is where and how I got started deadlifting. (It's got low ceilings that don't really work for anything except deadlifts, partial getups, and the like). So particularly for things like heavy deadlift, or ROP heavy day, or similar, I'll do what I guess you'd call semi-GTG, walking back to my desk to get some work done, and then the next set will happen 5 or 10 or even 15 or 20 minutes later. It's a fine way to get some work and some training done.

E.g., for ROP heavy days, I'd typically do the rung of 1, wait a moment, do the rung of 2, and maybe the triple, but then I'd leave to get extra rest for the rungs of 4 and 5.

-S-

Yes. My basement office is between my main basement gym, which is in an addition we put onto the house 20 years ago, and my dedicated deadlift area in the older portion of our basement, which is where and how I got started deadlifting. (It's got low ceilings that don't really work for anything except deadlifts, partial getups, and the like). So particularly for things like heavy deadlift, or ROP heavy day, or similar, I'll do what I guess you'd call semi-GTG, walking back to my desk to get some work done, and then the next set will happen 5 or 10 or even 15 or 20 minutes later. It's a fine way to get some work and some training done.

E.g., for ROP heavy days, I'd typically do the rung of 1, wait a moment, do the rung of 2, and maybe the triple, but then I'd leave to get extra rest for the rungs of 4 and 5.

-S-
I've been working and training like this for a few years now, and like it very much. I dont do all my training like this, but I do it a few times a week usually. It works very well for Q&D series doing 2x10 or 4x5.

I got into Maffetone back in my triathlon days after reading The Big Book. In that book he cautions against strength training as being “anaerobic” by his definition, which means it could interfere with aerobic development. Since MAF training was working well, I shied away from strength work when I shouldn’t have. I read about and listened to subsequent explanations of his slow weights, but since it wasn’t in The Big Book, I stayed away.

Silly me. After getting the message via Pavel and DJ, I’ve since demonstrated that I can get stronger and more aerobically fit at the same time doing Easy Strength.

I got into Maffetone back in my triathlon days after reading The Big Book. In that book he cautions against strength training as being “anaerobic” by his definition, which means it could interfere with aerobic development. Since MAF training was working well, I shied away from strength work when I shouldn’t have. I read about and listened to subsequent explanations of his slow weights, but since it wasn’t in The Big Book, I stayed away.

Silly me. After getting the message via Pavel and DJ, I’ve since demonstrated that I can get stronger and more aerobically fit at the same time doing Easy Strength.
The best for longevity is being both strong and aerobic.

I too remember reading the Big Book and coming away with that though, although I had read it long after I had learned otherwise. It DID, however, get me on the path to incorporating a little bit more of my training volume to low level aerobic work. Agreed with the above, it pays to be a solid above average generalist.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom