all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Dan John & Pavel ”working on a project”

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
The sort of strength training I did before Maffetone was too much. Too many exercises, too many reps, too much complexity, too much soreness, too much like bodybuilding. It was never really sustainable for more than a few months, even the typical routines suggested for endurance folk.

When I stripped things down to the basic human movements of squat, hinge, push and pull, and training for strength rather than fatigue, things turned around.

It took awhile, but thanks to Pavel and Maffetone, I learned that “less is more” often rings true.

Anyone got that last book?
Is it the same available for free on his web site? I just got it a few weeks ago and it still seems free. You go to the home page of his site and click on any of the "View the MAF Method" red buttons, where it will get you to a page to get it for free if you give your email address.

That being said, if you are even remotely familiar with his work, you won't learn much from the book. It seems to be mostly designed to be a freebie to pad his mailing list. I would definitively feel cheated if I had paid 10$ for it.

No, it seems like it is an expansion of the Slow Weights article.
The weight lifting one is a bit longer according to Amazon. To remove any confusion, there are two books:
1 - A free pamphlet, which is basically an ad for the Maffetone method. This is available for free on Maffetone's web site with a "list price" of 10$ mentioned. Title: MAF Method. 73 pages, available also on Amazon for 10$.
2 - A book about lifting weight, which just got out and is not free. Title: Get Strong. 116 pages, on sale also for 10$ on Amazon.

I’m not going to buy it. It won’t be anything new for people around here. The only aspect that might be different is the discussion on how to use strength training to strengthen bones. He referenced another book a few years ago on that which I read. Not particularly enlightening here. But for his usual audience of endurance nerds, this could be very valuable. I could have benefited a few years ago by a book length discussion of MAF and strength work.

I’m not going to buy it. It won’t be anything new for people around here. The only aspect that might be different is the discussion on how to use strength training to strengthen bones. He referenced another book a few years ago on that which I read. Not particularly enlightening here. But for his usual audience of endurance nerds, this could be very valuable. I could have benefited a few years ago by a book length discussion of MAF and strength work.

I purchased it yesterday and read it afterwards. It’s a good, solid book, but, frankly, it doesn’t teach you anything that has not already been covered in the myriad of articles on his website (which also happens with SF’s books, by the way).

I don’t regret the purchase, though. I like to support my favorite authors.

My apologies to the OP for derailing your thread...
So I was pleased to hear this.
Dan John: "Pavel and I are working on a project together... I don't know how much I can tell you... let me just say, for those of you who've been asking - you're getting what you want..."

So to help get things back on track, please allow me to ask anyone what you want from the mouthwatering prospect of this renewed collaboration, as well as for your speculations about and ruminations over what we're gonna get...

As far as I can see Dan John's focus has shifted more towards "sustainable principles to training and life" with less detailed plans.
And Pavel's focus seems to be to condense his knowledge and pour it into specific plans.

Maybe it is the 40-day workout reloaded? What I would love would be an application of Plan Strong waviness to the Easier Strengh templates/principles. Some condensed guidelines for minimalist park bench training.

Anyway, I also like to be surprised by Pavel.

Just a quibble, but I would say Pavel's focus in more on time/energy/recovery efficient training for an athlete in something other than a lifting sport. That also happens to be handy for the layman.

That's pretty awesome to hear. The first edition was enjoyable. Dense at times, but I did enjoy the "conversational interplay" style it was written in and the vast amount of topics it covered.

What I think would be cool is a deeper dive into the each of the "quadrants". The qualities between quadrants are well defined, but going deeper within quadrants, say differentiating between two different sports/occupations in quadrant 2- how do you go about doing a needs-analysis and how does that drive the program and exercise selection? Would be cool to see the thought process both Dan/Pavel, even though readers of you both probably have a general idea already.

Ladies and gentlemen, Dan and I are indeed working on the second edition of Easy Strength. We welcome your suggestions on how to make it better than the first.

Thank you.
Pavel, I am happy to hear this. I've loved the first edition. What I would like to be highlighted more would be the following:
- How to integrate KB ballistics with strength work
- How to choose plans/training styles according to goals/quadrants
- How to rotate training styles/plans during the year (sequential, block, conjugate?)
- Building qualities and maintaining them
- How to apply waviness to Easy Strength

Thanks for all your work, you are sending a strong signal in a world of noise!

This is great news! I bought Easy Strength in Nov 2011 and immediately jumped into the 40 day programming as outlined making solid improvements in all of my chosen lifts. In later review it was the easy endurance section, particularly Victor, that has most influenced my training over the last 9 years. The inclusion of his findings in Q&D with 015 protocol again served as inspiration for leveraging a minimal program into maximizing performance in outdoor activities as an aging athlete.

When his article (Quarantine Fitness) appeared here at the beginning of summer it provided me with additional insight into sustaining a moderate-to-high level of well rounded attributes to address a set mountaineering objectives during the chaos of a pandemic. Based on this, I selfishly would be interested in a section covering "off-the-couch-readiness" to seize future mountaineering and outdoor opportunities on short notice when they present themselves.

Ladies and gentlemen, Dan and I are indeed working on the second edition of Easy Strength. We welcome your suggestions on how to make it better than the first.

Thank you.
If I may make a couple of suggestions...

Kettlebells and Easy Strength: I’ve always used between 1x(1,2,3) and 3x(1,2,3), but I’m sure there must be a better approach.

Easy Strength and GTG: I don’t mean to combine them but... maybe finding a happy medium.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom