all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Dan John & Pavel ”working on a project”

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
The first ed. described Easy Strength as 2-3x a week, also Even Easier Strength, and the 40 Day. The distinctions between them was a little murky. So some clarity concerning training frequency and the appropriate loads and volume would be really helpful. Also, some discussion about who the program is for, who should or shouldn’t use it. What situations and goals are a good fit and which aren’t.

Also helpful would be examples of how to apply the program to different groups or goals like athletes of other sports, minimalists, novices, masters, etc.

I’m eagerly awaiting this. I’ve long thought there was a a lot of good stuff there, but was still missing “something.”

Some of these points have been covered in my more recent work (specifics in the Quadrants for example) and I have a full KB ES program. I will continue to work on this. I have been doing some work on the peaking section, some clarity in the ES programs and some other ideas. The problem with programming, though, is everybody is unique and doesn't have the equipment and can't do this or that. So....programs, at best, are general outlines. Oh...most people don't follow programs, even if perfect, for more than two weeks as something always comes up, happens, changes, or...Hey Squirrel!

Thanks for the feedback.

Some of these points have been covered in my more recent work (specifics in the Quadrants for example)

Thanks for the feedback.
Dan, I read/listen to quite a bit of your work (side note, your weekly podcast with Pat Flynn is a great listen) but may have missed this. Can you point me in the right direction? Excited to see what you have in store! Thanks

So....programs, at best, are general outlines. Oh...most people don't follow programs, even if perfect, for more than two weeks as something always comes up, happens, changes, or...Hey Squirrel!
Good point, Dan. Which is why ES is so appealing: Guidelines for "free-floating", autoregulated, sustainable training, that still delivers results.

PS: I really enjoyed Attempts!

I'd love to see more on how bodyweight exercises could be thrown into the mix. Also how it can be adjusted to better match different goals.

I thought Intervention did a great job of mapping the quadrant ID, assessing point A, deciding on B, figuring a route,etc. All the "it depends" answers. Got a great deal out of it, thanks!

Some of these points have been covered in my more recent work (specifics in the Quadrants for example) and I have a full KB ES program. I will continue to work on this. I have been doing some work on the peaking section, some clarity in the ES programs and some other ideas. The problem with programming, though, is everybody is unique and doesn't have the equipment and can't do this or that. So....programs, at best, are general outlines. Oh...most people don't
Some of these points have been covered in my more recent work (specifics in the Quadrants for example) and I have a full KB ES program. I will continue to work on this. I have been doing some work on the peaking section, some clarity in the ES programs and some other ideas. The problem with programming, though, is everybody is unique and doesn't have the equipment and can't do this or that. So....programs, at best, are general outlines. Oh...most people don't follow programs, even if perfect, for more than two weeks as something always comes up, happens, changes, or...Hey Squirrel!

Thanks for the feedback.

For the one who already hit standards (2.5 bw deadlift, 2 bw squat, 1.5 bw bench press, bw overhead press) what is next?
How to scan and work the weak points in enjoyable way?
Posture work.
More about hypertrophy, the benefit and the cost of carrying muscle.

This is great news. Enjoyed the original when it came out many years ago. In the same way SS 2.0 refined the core concepts it would be great to see a similar approach here.
Would also like to see:
Easy conditioning/Mobility
Easy hypertrophy/body comp
This should be great, given the works that both Pavel and DJ have put out since ES was published.. the world will be a stronger and better place as a result..

This is great news. Enjoyed the original when it came out many years ago. In the same way SS 2.0 refined the core concepts it would be great to see a similar approach here.
Would also like to see:
Easy conditioning/Mobility
Easy hypertrophy/body comp
This should be great, given the works that both Pavel and DJ have put out since ES was published.. the world will be a stronger and better place as a result..
Those are great ideas!!!

Ladies and gentlemen, Dan and I are indeed working on the second edition of Easy Strength. We welcome your suggestions on how to make it better than the first.

Thank you.
Excellent news! The reworking of S&S really was a reworking, so look forward to this.

My two cents:

- (any) updated thinking on GTG
- examples of real world athletes that have utilised Easy Strength principles (since volume 1)
- Updated thinking on the quadrants
- Easy to implement restoration techniques and training around injury
- an Easy Strength style pull up programme for high mileage trainees who cannot handle the volume of Fighter Pull Up programming

Last edited:
@Dan John and @Pavel, I am not sure if you will have another look at this thread, but I'd like to try and condense the suggestions.

The backbone of the book is, to me, the "Easy" idea. In Easy Strength it was of course applied to strength training with lots of examples and variations.

As far as I can see there is the general idea, in line with Zatsiorsky (~ fresh, heavy, often). This could lead to some practical principles and recommended programming (Easy Strength, Even Easier Strength, 40-Days) and recommended variations (for example DMPM, S&S, PTTP, danjohnuniversity.com). What would be the relationship between frequency of training, volume and load? How do ladders come into play? Then there could be more variations (like Justa's Singles or the old Westside DL plan that forms the base for Vodka and Pickles). Ha, maybe even sucess stories. The way Victor trains would also be a great example.

So the 2nd edition could be more of a rearrangement of the presented ideas for the sake of clarity.

The first edition was amazing, providing a patchwork of interesting ideas. The biggest issue for users was probably the decision making: How do I choose among those interesting options? How do I integrate it with other training? And how do I intergrate my favourite (or available!) modalities into it?

Of course, people would like guidance on the questions above. Integrating KBs, ballistics, endurance training, bodyweight training.

Moreover, a lot of us would appreciate it if you would expand on the fascinating concept of "Easy X". (Especially while everyone else is busy shouting "no pain, no gain, ONE MORE REP!" and icing their injured elbows.) So, how about Easy Endurance, Easy Conditioning, Easy Flexibility, Easy Maintenance, Easy Waviness? I would love that.

Which would probably lead to the bigger picture: How does Easy Strength relate to other programming ideas, like peaking, GTG, Soviet Waviness (Plan Strong), or even the conjugate method? In this context the concepts of park/bus bench, quadrants, and training seasons could be interesting. How does it work with block training?

Whatever you choose to do, I am sure it will be great and I am looking forward to it.

Last edited:
Easy strength for me, and spoken by the cert. coordinator at my first StrongFirst experience, SFG I.
2-5 sets of 2-5 reps with 2-5 minutes rest in between.
and I guess 2-5 days per week with 2-5 exercises?

Thinking of it, Easy X is probably just "doing the obvious and coming back tomorrow".
  • Easy Endurance : 30-60 minutes of locomotion with nasal breathing (commute by bike if possible), 1-6x per week
  • Easy Rehab/Prehab/Patterning: Original Strength Resets, Yoga, or Ground Force Method
  • Easy Flexibility: 9090 + Straddle QL (Pavel, S&S), Stoney Stretch + Windmill Stick (DJ), Prying Goblet Squats + Hanging (both)
  • Easy Recovery/Health: Sleep/naps, walking, relaxed nasal breathing, protein + veggies, drinking water, hot/cold shower, meet friends, watch comedy (and I can hear Dan John adding: Wear a seatbelt, floss your teeth.)
  • Easy Weight Loss: Stop eating for 12-18 hours (IF), replace one meal with a protein shake. Eat more veggies. Tea/water instead of soda.
  • And: Don't try to fix everything within a week (a day, a month). Where will you be in a year and even 10 years?
Anyway, even the obvious has to be stated... and to be executed!

I would like it if the book elaborated on the "Easy Strength - Normal Strength - Hard Strength" continuum.

Additionally, I have found that the vast mayority of the population have 4 fitness goals in common: gain muscle, lose fat, get stronger and improve cardio (whatever that means). Therefore, it would be great if the book gave guidance on how to develop these areas in a common program.

Anyway, even the obvious has to be stated... and to be executed!
Hey - just because it's easy doesn't mean it's easy:

DJ: eat your broccoli
PT: toss the broccoli, keep the rubber bands [RB]

PT: vodka & pickles [V&P]
DJ: hamburger with peanut butter [PB]

Hey Dan - is it ok to chase my broccoli with V?
Can I eat my pickles with PB, Pavel?
Does PB go well with RB?
Should I have my PB & RB with V or P or both V & P?
Before or after?

My Dinner with Dan and Pavel...

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom