all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Dan John & Pavel ”working on a project”

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Hey - just because it's easy doesn't mean it's easy:

DJ: eat your broccoli
PT: toss the broccoli, keep the rubber bands [RB]

PT: vodka & pickles [V&P]
DJ: hamburger with peanut butter [PB]

Hey Dan - is it ok to chase my broccoli with V?
Can I eat my pickles with PB, Pavel?
Does PB go well with RB?
Should I have my PB & RB with V or P or both V & P?
Before or after?

My Dinner with Dan and Pavel...
Steak-Kettlebells-Vodka.

A section on training after age 60 would be welcomed.Thanks for reading.

@Dan John and @Pavel, I am not sure if you will have another look at this thread, but I'd like to try and condense the suggestions.

The backbone of the book is, to me, the "Easy" idea. In Easy Strength it was of course applied to strength training with lots of examples and variations.

As far as I can see there is the general idea, in line with Zatsiorsky (~ fresh, heavy, often). This could lead to some practical principles and recommended programming (Easy Strength, Even Easier Strength, 40-Days) and recommended variations (for example DMPM, S&S, PTTP, danjohnuniversity.com). What would be the relationship between frequency of training, volume and load? How do ladders come into play? Then there could be more variations (like Justa's Singles or the old Westside DL plan that forms the base for Vodka and Pickles). Ha, maybe even sucess stories. The way Victor trains would also be a great example.

So the 2nd edition could be more of a rearrangement of the presented ideas for the sake of clarity.

The first edition was amazing, providing a patchwork of interesting ideas. The biggest issue for users was probably the decision making: How do I choose among those interesting options? How do I integrate it with other training? And how do I intergrate my favourite (or available!) modalities into it?

Of course, people would like guidance on the questions above. Integrating KBs, ballistics, endurance training, bodyweight training.

Moreover, a lot of us would appreciate it if you would expand on the fascinating concept of "Easy X". (Especially while everyone else is busy shouting "no pain, no gain, ONE MORE REP!" and icing their injured elbows.) So, how about Easy Endurance, Easy Conditioning, Easy Flexibility, Easy Maintenance, Easy Waviness? I would love that.

Which would probably lead to the bigger picture: How does Easy Strength relate to other programming ideas, like peaking, GTG, Soviet Waviness (Plan Strong), or even the conjugate method? In this context the concepts of park/bus bench, quadrants, and training seasons could be interesting. How does it work with block training?

Whatever you choose to do, I am sure it will be great and I am looking forward to it.
I think this makes a really good point.
I just read ETK forward by Dan John & I think we need the "Do this!" For easy strength.
If the first book is equal to the first RKC book we need the easy strength ETK.

Ladies and gentlemen, Dan and I are indeed working on the second edition of Easy Strength. We welcome your suggestions on how to make it better than the first.

Thank you.

This is what I get for going on vacation... the chairman makes a rare visit to the forum, and I miss it. ?

My suggestion; the more generalist consumer, who is most interested in "longevity", spends a great deal of time debating what is "necessary". How far does one need to go. Where is the tradeoff between performance and health. Where is the "correct" place to draw the line between risk vs. reward.

I think having the two titans of the industry discuss that point would be absolutely worthwhile.

This is what I get for going on vacation... the chairman makes a rare visit to the forum, and I miss it. ?

My suggestion; the more generalist consumer, who is most interested in "longevity", spends a great deal of time debating what is "necessary". How far does one need to go. Where is the tradeoff between performance and health. Where is the "correct" place to draw the line between risk vs. reward.

I think having the two titans of the industry discuss that point would be absolutely worthwhile.
WWHD, I will write the lengthy forward for ES2, It Depends. ---DF.

Easy hypertrophy

“Easy” deserves quotes here as it is a bit oxymoronic. So “easy “ in a relative sense. DJ that past a certain age most people should spend some time on hypertrophy. So what is the minimum effective dose that would keep people from falling down the bodybuilding rabbit hole?

hear hear on this. The answer is going to be a combination of "it depends" and "we're not quite sure yet, getting closer" but the conversation would be interesting to hear!!

A few podcasts ago (maybe a month??) DJ mentioned it was "on hold". Not sure what that means. He hasn't mentioned it in the last few, either on his own or his weekly one with Pat Flynn. Which are both highly recommended by the way!!

A few podcasts ago (maybe a month??) DJ mentioned it was "on hold". Not sure what that means. He hasn't mentioned it in the last few, either on his own or his weekly one with Pat Flynn. Which are both highly recommended by the way!!
Pat is the MAN! He's an interesting cat. The philosophy stuff with Dr. Jim is excellent. Boy did all right for an accounting major.

A couple of suggestions for the book. Guidelines for those interested in Hypertrophy. Also lift specific guidelines like the squat for example. Easy strength is definitely one of my favorite books. Up there with beyond bodybuilding and PTTP.

There are 2 newer online courses on Dan‘s page on ES.

They are pretty extensive and answer most questions.

There are 2 newer online courses on Dan‘s page on ES.

They are pretty extensive and answer most questions.
I ran Easy Strength about 10 years ago. It works really well. Great program.
I don't understand how anyone can complicate it that it needs courses.
10 reps 5 exercises 40 days, switch up the reps if you like, if not don't. 2 x 5, 5 x 2, 3 x 3 + 1, 1 x 10.

I used double 70's and did
Double Front Squat 2 x 5
Double Row 2 x 5
Double Press 3 x 3 + 1 x 1 (after 3 weeks did 2 x 5 which made me a believer)
Double Swing 1 x 20 (I switched this with snatches, (2 x 15, 15) using a 55.
TGU 5 each side.

It was so successful, I never ran it again!

Fat loss is 85% what you put in your pie hole, not your workout. His eat veggies with every meal and lay off the scotch is excellent advice. Though I love scotch.

If Dan can squeeze more juice out of it, good for him. I know he's running it with O-lifts.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom