all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Dan John - Reading Order?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Sean M

Level 7 Valued Member
I have read the Kindle samples of most of Dan John's books, but am wondering from you all if there is a recommended order of reading?
  • Never Let Go: A Philosophy of Lifting, Living, and Learning (2009)
  • Before We Go: An Ongoing Philosophy of Lifting, Living, and Learning (2015) - a sequel to the latter?
  • Intervention: Course Corrections for the Athlete and Trainer (2012)
  • Can You Go? Assessments and Program Design for the Active Athlete and Everybody Else (2015)
  • Now What? The Ongoing Pursuit of Improved Performance (2017) - I believe the latter three are a trilogy?
The above seem to be "general interest" in strength training. The ones below seem to be more specific and technical (?):
  • Easy Strength: How to Get a Lot Stronger Than Your Competition-And Dominate in Your Sport (2011)
  • Fat Loss Happens on Monday: Habit-Based Diet & Workout Hacks (2014)
  • Mass Made Simple: A 6-Week Journey into Bulking (2011)
What's the best place to start?

Intervention will give you Dan John distilled, which is nice because you will see how easy and clear he makes programing for goals.

Never Let Go will give you Dan John raw, which is nice because you will see how his range/depth of knowledge and you will get to enjoy a lot of good writing on lifting. It also provides a lot of programs and exercises to try.

Easy Strength is just a load of information that is super useful for anyone serious about training for sports, as well as training for training's sake.

Also, From the Ground Up, which has the virtues of being free and a very good intro to olympic weightlifting: http://danjohn.net/pdfs/bp.pdf

Last edited:
Intervention is a great place to start if you are new to Dan's writing.

I'm willing to bet wherever you start, you will keep buying and reading. He's an amazing writer and has a way of distilling complex matters down to the fundamentals and discarding the fluff. Just like Pavel does! ;)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom