all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Dave Draper Forum (Dan John Forum) Closing Down

Adam R Mundorf

Level 6 Valued Member
Hey StrongFirst,

Welp, all good things must come to an end I guess. Turns out the old Dan John forum is being shut down and archived on February 28th.

There is a very large cross section of individuals who have used that forum and this forum concurrently. Just wanted to make everyone aware if you wanted to say your thanks to Laree and Dan for the wonderful community they fostered for just about two decades.

Here's the thread by Laree about the closure : Forum Closure -

I still remember reading this post over 10 years ago as a insecure/unhealthy junior in high school, finding everything about the kettlebell and Pavel so mysterious. My friends dad was an RKC and told me to check out Dan Johns work. It led me here and was the first time I felt apart of something bigger than myself :

Screenshot_20230129-020601~2.png

Thank you, Adam

Hey StrongFirst,

Welp, all good things must come to an end I guess. Turns out the old Dan John forum is being shut down and archived on February 28th.

There is a very large cross section of individuals who have used that forum and this forum concurrently. Just wanted to make everyone aware if you wanted to say your thanks to Laree and Dan for the wonderful community they fostered for just about two decades.

I still remember reading this post over 10 years ago as a insecure/unhealthy junior in high school, finding everything about the kettlebell and Pavel so mysterious. My friends dad was an RKC and told me to check out Dan Johns work. It led me here and was the first time I felt apart of something bigger than myself :

View attachment 20421

Thank you, Adam

Wow, I thought S&S was minimalist programming, but that's even more so.

Hey StrongFirst,

View attachment 20421

Thank you, Adam
And what kind of results did that produce?
( I'm sure he didn't put stuff out there that wasn't proven to work.)

Wow, I thought S&S was minimalist programming, but that's even more so.
I don't have the book in front of me, but S&S has always been introduced as the updated version of the Program Minimum from Enter The Kettlebel - it was new then but now, not so much. :)

Google says that ETK was first published in 2006; the post cited above is from 2009, which is now 14 years ago if I do the math without a calculator. :)

-S-

Dan has had a tough year or so. Was divorced from his wife of decades and then she slipped and fell and passed from her injuries. Might just be that he needs a reboot regarding life and just doesn't have the time to moderate it with all the other things he has going on.

Last edited:
Thank you for the heads up. It's the old Iron Online forum (Dave Draper's forum actually - Dan John has a sub-forum on it). I used to post there all the time - I'll try to figure out my login so I can at least post a goodbye. Laree Draper is one of the best and one of the few honest business people in a world full of many snake oil salesmen.

And what kind of results did that produce?
( I'm sure he didn't put stuff out there that wasn't proven to work.)
Man, it honestly produced really good results for myself. I felt strong, mobile but I was also a decade younger so it could just be nostalgia talking.

It was the only thing I knew, which means it was the only thing I followed.

There's a lot to be said for having only 1 choice, and following it.

Some days, my head is swimming from all the different things people are doing here. I feel like a simpleton just swinging, crawling, and carrying. (But, i'm happy with my results so far also)
Sir, do you have a training log? Do you follow any program from a resource or do you write your own?

Best;

Ege

Sir, do you have a training log? Do you follow any program from a resource or do you write your own?

Best;

Ege
I have a training log in a WhatsApp chat ...

What I do is really simple: I work on swings only and only 3 days a week. The other 3 days I do a modified @AleksSalkin 9 minute challenge: Dead bugs, crawling, and carrying.

Crawling I upped to 5 minutes, and now have been able to do 3 baby and 2 leopard (leopard in 40 second sets).

Carrying- started at 35 seconds and am now at 50 seconds:. Farmer carry a 16 & 24 then switch hands. Then waiter carry 16 (started with a 12 at 35 seconds) - each hand. Then I do Farmer carry of a 32 in one hand and repeat the waiter carries.

Also some OS nods and rocking as well as some hip flexibility. No more than 30 minutes a session and less at times, life permitting.

I did 6 days a week of swings and some attempts at get ups for some months, but it totally drained me (to put it mildly). I plan to get to 1H 32 by summer time, at which time I will cut back on swings and work on get ups.

Reactions: Ege
Dan has had a tough year or so. Was divorced from his wife of decades and then she slipped and fell and passed from her injuries. Might just be that he needs a reboot regarding life and just doesn't have the time to moderate it with all the other things he has going on.
Thank you for sharing this information. I wasnt aware. I've now listened to the podcast - its very sad news. You really dont know what people are going through in their lives. As Dan says, "Make a difference".

Thank you for sharing this information. I wasnt aware. I've now listened to the podcast - its very sad news. You really dont know what people are going through in their lives. As Dan says, "Make a difference".
I subscribe to his weekly newsletter, Wondering Weights, he announced it there. And yes, you really don’t know what people are going through.

I have a training log in a WhatsApp chat ...

What I do is really simple: I work on swings only and only 3 days a week. The other 3 days I do a modified @AleksSalkin 9 minute challenge: Dead bugs, crawling, and carrying.

Crawling I upped to 5 minutes, and now have been able to do 3 baby and 2 leopard (leopard in 40 second sets).

Carrying- started at 35 seconds and am now at 50 seconds:. Farmer carry a 16 & 24 then switch hands. Then waiter carry 16 (started with a 12 at 35 seconds) - each hand. Then I do Farmer carry of a 32 in one hand and repeat the waiter carries.

Also some OS nods and rocking as well as some hip flexibility. No more than 30 minutes a session and less at times, life permitting.

I did 6 days a week of swings and some attempts at get ups for some months, but it totally drained me (to put it mildly). I plan to get to 1H 32 by summer time, at which time I will cut back on swings and work on get ups.
Thanks a lot. I am always fascinated more with the type of approach you have. I am very happy to be on a minimalistic S&C program, cardio and a minimalistic recreational sports program. In future, would like to look in to something as yours. Beautiful, thanks for sharing.

This site and Dan John's web presence and books have comprised the cornerstone of my training for quite some time now. Whether it has been direct programming, strength tips like irradiation, or finding my gaps the results I've gotten at my seemingly lofty age of 66 have been wonderful. I refer to Pavel and Dan's work daily. Dan has had a tough stretch dating back to his brother Phil's death in 2019 to the present. I wish him peace.

Will your squat instructional videos be preserved from 15 years ago? Classic, hope so for some of the young people.

@Boris Bachmann “I've been making a series of squat instructional videos to help people trouble-shoot common errors and tips to improve their squat. Let me know what you think.” 08-06-07

Back
Top Bottom