all posts post new thread

Barbell Day one. Need All the help i can get please.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Andrew_Beginner

First Post
Hello all,

I have been trying to find a corner of the internet that is helpful with training. And allows me to grow.

Im having my first child in jan. And have decided enough is enough. there is no point in being weak and unhappy anymore. And i want him to have a father who looks and feels good. Some information about myself.

5ft11 - 180cm
81kg - 178,5lbs
age - 36
body type - skinny fat
goals - gain muscle
experience - beginner

At the moment the only training gear i have is a barbell. 16kg discs and 5.8kg bar. so 21.8kg. I can do around 10 to 15 curls good form before failure. And 15 - 20 press. So it feel its a decent weight to start me off. Im basically looking for a beginners program to get me going using only the barbell. My friend who it a nutritionist gave me a diet plan with all macros and micros correct. So thats a help. I can jog 5k easily for rest days if needed.

Im just so sick of feeling unhappy in my own body. And embarrassed. I want to be strong for my wife. And have arms that fill t shirts. And muscle to feel when she hugs my back. Or be a father my kids will think im superman.

Any help would be great, id appreciate it no end. Thank you. Have a super day.

You're going to need more weights. If you can press a weight 15 - 20 times it's too light to build your max strength. Buy more weights or join a gym. Concentrate on big lifts (deadlifts, presses, squats, etc..), and use weights that are heavy enough that can only lift it for sets of 5 reps or less.

Do not push to failure, leave 1 or 2 reps in the tank. Use 2 - 3 big exercises and 1 or 2 supplementary exercises to fill in the gaps, such as Kettlebell swings, carrying heavy objects, or both.

Lift 3x per week or so, eat lots of food, get plenty of rest and remember that it will take a long time to look and feel the way you want. Don't try to rush or you may end up injured. Strength training is a marathon, not a sprint, it takes time for muscles, tendons, ligaments and bones to adapt.

Just keep lifting heavyish weights and in a year or two you will look and feel much better. Again, do not rush it. Forcing yourself to do more work than you can handle will slow your progress down and lead to injury.

You should probably start on a Linear Progression program, you'll get the most out of it. A lot of people like Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5x5. Power to the People is also a great program if you like minimalist programs.

Once you have exhausted your beginner gains in 4 months to a year you can switch to a periodized program like Reload or 5/3/1. Hope that helps.

if u don't want to get barbells or kettlebells, i suggest getting a pullup bar that fits in a doorway.

pushups (different variations), pullups/chinups/toes to bar, squats (cossack, pistols, etc), broad jumps, burpees. Follow one of the programs out there (which lead to slightly different places but all better than where you are I suppose): The Strongfirst Naked Warrior program, Kavadlo Get Strong, Convict Conditioning, etc.

good luck.

I'll second what @RS12 said, 1) get more weight for your barbell, 2) start out with a simple linear progression (do the same reps/sets each workout, 3x/week, just keep doing it heavier).

Focus on big compound movements like squat, deadlift, and press. Curls won't make your body stronger.

Pavel's PTTP book/program is for you, if you have just a barbell, but no rack or other equipment. That is another way to get started.

Think long term -- people that have never done strength training are often surprised to learn that you can keep at it for years and still be changing your body and getting stronger. But all along the way, for any 90-day period, you will make more meaningful change than any quick-fix-90-day "get in shape" program.

Hi Guys,

Thank you so much for your replies, I really appreciate the help.
I went out yesterday and bought two extra discs, so adding 10kg to my bar. So ill have 31.8kg. I tried it out and that should be a perfect weight to get me on the 5 x 5. I wont start now until next week as i have to finish some antibiotics. But ill weight in with percentages too. Record them here and start 8 weeks, Im so excited. Im not looking for any short term goals. I want to just have a new hobby which is lifting. The perks that come down the line will be amazing. But im in no rush. All ive ever wanted is to be part of a little community of lifters. But its so intimidating in a gym for me.

So one question actually. So ill be doing the 5 x 5. Monday, Wednesday, Friday. Do i need to add some curls in somewhere. Or should the barbell row be enough. Sorry to sound so stupid. The standard beginner concerned about biceps.

So one question actually. So ill be doing the 5 x 5. Monday, Wednesday, Friday. Do i need to add some curls in somewhere. Or should the barbell row be enough. Sorry to sound so stupid. The standard beginner concerned about biceps.

Standard answer is to do exactly what your program says, and don't add stuff. Additions take away from recovery. And recovery is when you get stronger so that you can do the next session.

Remember muscles get worked with isometric contraction, too. For example, if you keep everything tight like you're supposed to when you do a barbell squat, it will work the heck out of your arms (including biceps), shoulders, lats, abs, spinal erectors, diaphragm, feet, and all kinds of other things you never thought about being involved in a squat.

@Andrew_Beginner, welcome to the StrongFirst forum.

If at all possible, I recommend working with a local, StrongFirst Certified Instructor. It can be an ongoing thing or simply a form check every now and then. Use the Find An Instructor feature on our web site.

-S-

Hey Andrew, congrats on the growing family!

You're off to a great start by soliciting feedback from this community and you've already gotten some undisputably gold advice.

I'll highlight RS12's points about taking a long-term perspective. This is a game measured in *years* so the very best thing you can do at this point is to get your technique dialed in. The "best" program will be anything that allows you to build confidence and competence in the main lifts.

As you'll see over and over in SF material, strength is a practice. You'll be doing a lot of the same stuff for years to come, so it pays to know the ins-and-outs of a squat before aiming at arbitrary weights and reps.

@Andrew_Beginner , great advise on here already, I'll just through out of thought on mindset; as a father, it's better to be useful than to look good. Useful is being able to lift your child off the ground and raise them over your head (because fun). Useful is being able to haul in 100# worth of groceries from the car to the kitchen without having to flop down for a long rest afterwards. Useful is being able to carry your son on one arm while you walk, and while doing so be able to squat down and pick up your daughter too when she decides she tired of walking (or just needs a hug).

Do stuff that makes you useful - lift heavy, get strong. Don't worry about filling T shirts.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom