all posts post new thread

Bodyweight DD Neuro-Grips

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Todd Friedrich

Level 4 Valued Member
Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has experimented with DD Neuro-Grips for pushups. I'm currently doing Simple & Sinister, but was looking to add some pushup training as well. Looking for some feedback about them.

Thanks

I don't doubt the benefits associated with them, but for me the risk-reward ratio doesn't justify such a tool.
It's so easy to seriously injure your wrist or faceplant and break a nose.
If you want to make pushups harder and add a component that requires more tension use ring or strap pushups.

Try pushups on dumbbells that are light but have large ends and only use one foot on the floor. I have found this requires you to brace yourself more that regular pushups. Not the same but similar idea.

I just got some Neuro-Grips today so I thought I'd share my initial experiences. Firstly, I should say it's unlikely that they'll totally revolutionise the way you train, but they are a 'neat gadget' (if something so low-tech can even be termed a 'gadget') and if you're really into increasing the variety and challenge in your push-up routine they're certainly something you should consider.

Used carefully, they're really not dangerous, provided you've got solid form on standard push-ups and are strong enough not to find them too much of a challenge. A cautious user can practise push-ups from the knees with these or even just work on holding a plank until they're strong enough for full push-ups and you can always place a cushion on the floor beneath your face if you're afraid of hitting the deck. You'll definitely want to finish your set before you start to wobble too much.

Overall, I think they're a pretty nice bit of kit, however they are rather expensive for what they are (especially if you have to pay import tax on top of international postage!) and there's really not that much difference in feel between using these and doing push-ups on low-hanging gymnastic rings, although they take less time to set-up and you'll avoid the chafing that can be caused by the suspension straps. I can see myself getting a lot of use of of these, but they're definitely not for everyone.

More gimickey than essential; more toys=more distraction from main objectives

Hello,

I would choose push up with hands in rings, with rings almost at the floor level. That way, you get a slightly greater ROM, and also create just enough instability to get another kind of work, while minimizing injury risk.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I just got some Neuro-Grips today so I thought I'd share my initial experiences. Firstly, I should say it's unlikely that they'll totally revolutionise the way you train, but they are a 'neat gadget' (if something so low-tech can even be termed a 'gadget') and if you're really into increasing the variety and challenge in your push-up routine they're certainly something you should consider.

Used carefully, they're really not dangerous, provided you've got solid form on standard push-ups and are strong enough not to find them too much of a challenge. A cautious user can practise push-ups from the knees with these or even just work on holding a plank until they're strong enough for full push-ups and you can always place a cushion on the floor beneath your face if you're afraid of hitting the deck. You'll definitely want to finish your set before you start to wobble too much.

Overall, I think they're a pretty nice bit of kit, however they are rather expensive for what they are (especially if you have to pay import tax on top of international postage!) and there's really not that much difference in feel between using these and doing push-ups on low-hanging gymnastic rings, although they take less time to set-up and you'll avoid the chafing that can be caused by the suspension straps. I can see myself getting a lot of use of of these, but they're definitely not for everyone.

I agree with Chris. I have had something similar to the Neuro- Grips made by someone else for years. I have used them off and on for years. I've never had a problem when using them. Some things I would say is you need to start out slow and warm up. Of course when we get something like this we want to just jump in and do push ups with them. But you have to warm up your wrist. If you get them start out with planks on your knees and work up to 30 second holds or more for 3 sets. Then go to push up planks when this gets easy. Then from there do push ups from your knees and work up to 20 reps or more for 3 sets. Then when you get to regular pushups start slow and use low reps. Maybe start with 5 reps and work from there. This is how I did it and I'm about to use them whenever I want. As Chris said,''They're definitely not for everyone".

Coincidently, I ordered some of these recently and they are in the shipping process. I will report back when they arrive. However, I'm slightly worried about them damaging the floor, so they may just end up as a minor waste.

Coincidently, I ordered some of these recently and they are in the shipping process. I will report back when they arrive. However, I'm slightly worried about them damaging the floor, so they may just end up as a minor waste.
Let me know how you get on; I'd love to hear your thoughts. I'm definitely digging them so far.

Mine finally arrived after a mix-up with the post office where the package was stuck in limbo for 8 days and didn't show up until another thing I had ordered showed up at the same time from a different vendor. Whatever. Anyway, I did like 4 pushups with them and think they are pretty cool so far. I guess I'll just mix in a couple of sets of 3-5 on days I do simple and sinister to start and go from there?

@sizzlefuzz I've been using them intermittently (ie whenever I get bored) in a GTG fashion separately from my KB training.

I'm still really enjoying them. I've found that using them to do 'slow-mo mountain climbers' (holding a straight arm plank and bringing alternate knees to my chest) does great things for my midsection.

If you're looking for more variety from your Neuro-Grips, Adrienne Harvey of GiryaGirl.com has some cool ideas.

So, it's been about a month since I got them and I put them to some good use. At first, they were pretty cool in terms of how I felt in doing the Neuro Grip Pushup, but after I adapted to the movement it becomes sort of stale. Therefore, I don't think they are "essential" by any stretch. I think if you want to work with more advanced pushups you'd be better served working on the OA or OAOL variants, as there are more progressions and steps you can take versus just adding on reps with the Neuro Grip. All in all, I would say pass as there are better ways to work your grip, also.

I've not really been using mine much for the past few weeks either. I managed to pull off a one-arm push-up (see photos below) and since then I've not really been able to figure out where else I can go with them.
@sizzlefuzz I know what you mean about the movement becoming 'stale'; it's the initial unfamiliarity that provides most of the challenge with these. Although if I can think of any other cool stuff to do with these I'll let you know.
DSC_0173.JPG DSC_0174.JPG DSC_0175.JPG

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom