all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Deadlift accessory routine

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

mikhael

Level 9 Valued Member
Hi, are there any accessory routine, exercise, that has positive impact on Deadlift?
I'm following the PTTP whit good results and noticed that every time when I approach the lift I have to focus on every detail in order to perform it correctly and safely, which is good. But I feel like I am missing something with my pulls. Maybe it's nothing, maybe it's just a feeling, but I would like to know your thoughts on this.
If it helps, I do Pull-ups (FPP), Push-up (Power Push-ups Plan Phase 1), and rucking. I also try to run 2 times a week.
Thank in advance for your reply.

There certainly are options and I would wager most find some exercises helpful. But what is helpful is specific to the individual.

The first step is variety with the deadlift itself. Increased or decreased range of motion. Different grip width. Different spacing between feet. Stiff legs. Romanian deadlift. Etc. There's a lot you could do.

Then, there's the accessories. Many powerlifters find rows very useful. And you can do those differently as well, aim for the belly or the chest, start with a dead stop or not, etc. Good mornings can be great. Shrugs too. Different loaded carries. And so on.

Some sort of Olympic lifts could be very useful as well. The power clean would be the typical example.

You could give some, or most of those a try. Try to get proficient in some and see if it makes a difference.

Hi, are there any accessory routine, exercise, that has positive impact on Deadlift?
I'm following the PTTP whit good results and noticed that every time when I approach the lift I have to focus on every detail in order to perform it correctly and safely, which is good. But I feel like I am missing something with my pulls.
You need to try to identify what’s holding you back then try to find things to help improve that.

-S-

@mikhael Possibly the best accessory for deadlifts is rest. Ensure you're getting enough rest and are feeling fresh whenever you approach the bar, especially when it's time to go heavy.

It's possible that you're overthinking the lift as well and are getting overwhelmed by details: It's good to reinforce correct movements and positions in training for any lift, however when it comes to approaching limit or near-limit weights, you should be sufficiently familiar with all technical aspects of the lift to go into 'autopilot' and just lift the damn thing.

Another common problem when trying to move heavy weights is grip. If you can't hold onto it, your body (probably) won't let you lift it. If you're unsure about your grip when lifting 90%+, try using straps and see if that helps. If you're able to lift considerably more weight with straps, work on training your grip by using a double overhand grip at the start of your next cycle when the weights are lighter.

Also, it might be worth paying very close attention to some of the finer aspects of your set-up, as if there's something not quite right to begin with, you'll be compensating during the lift and this will severely limit how much weight you can move.

If you're comfortable making a video of yourself lifting and sharing it with the forum we should be able to identify any areas that could use improvement.

Deadlift Dynamite by Pavel and Andy Bolton features a lot of accessory moves.

Speaking of Andy Bolton, here are 2 articles that might be of interest to you:

4 Tips for Getting Tight and Instant Strength Gains | StrongFirst
Heavy 2H KB Swings for DLs: Kettlebells and Deadlifting: A Match Made in Heaven? | StrongFirst
Yes, the kettlebell swing is what I need (btw I haven't done it a while).
If it's a matter of your technique on the lift itself, the accessory exercises might not help. You might revise your practice to all singles to allow a greater focus on technique.

-S-
Some singles could be a good option after the second PTTP cycle.
Possibly the best accessory for deadlifts is rest. Ensure you're getting enough rest and are feeling fresh whenever you approach the bar, especially when it's time to go heavy.
My current deadlift regime is 4-5 strength sessions per week, but I think it will be reduced to 3-4 in the following week.
Another common problem when trying to move heavy weights is grip. If you can't hold onto it, your body (probably) won't let you lift it. If you're unsure about your grip when lifting 90%+, try using straps and see if that helps. If you're able to lift considerably more weight with straps, work on training your grip by using a double overhand grip at the start of your next cycle when the weights are lighter.
I always considered myself as someone with good grip strength, but maybe I'm not. I used a pronated grip up to 264 but I changed it beyond that weight.
If you're comfortable making a video of yourself lifting and sharing it with the forum we should be able to identify any areas that could use improvement
I'll try to make a video during the next DL session.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom