all posts post new thread

Barbell Deadlift and TGU pairing?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Kozushi

Level 7 Valued Member
I haven't tried this yet, but as a way to hack together a program for people in a bit of a hurry or whatever, would pairing deadlifts with TGUs be valid or purposeful over deadlifts plus presses? Or, is it a case where the deadlifts are already so heavy that the TGU would be superfluous and the press is all that's required?

The main Strong First programs seem to be predicated on the idea of minimalist equipment: for PTTP it's just a barbell, and for S&S it's just one kettlebell. But, what if we've gone and spent some money on lots of equipment, barbell, kettlebells, chinning bar etc... Then what? Then do you go for some swings, deadlifts, presses, TGUs,...???

A quick one:

TGU with ascending load (16-20-24 or so) for warm up works well, then add couple of sets of pull-ups and you're ready to hit the bar.

For deadlift, work up to 5RM of the day and make 2-3 sets.

Finish with some swings and abwork.

In/Out gym within 30 mins and everything one needs is covered. :)

I did a couple months of solely deadlifts superset with TGU. It's one of my favorite superset combinations; I felt indestructible. Other times I've done that combo the entire session was 3 supersets:
  1. BB Front Squat + Pull-UP
  2. Deadlift + TGU
  3. Bench Press + Swing

I did a couple months of solely deadlifts superset with TGU. It's one of my favorite superset combinations; I felt indestructible. Other times I've done that combo the entire session was 3 supersets:
  1. BB Front Squat + Pull-UP
  2. Deadlift + TGU
  3. Bench Press + Swing
Brilliant!!!

Sorry, but others might benefit too. I don't know the definitions of these terms:

• "Easy Strength"
  • "DMPM"
  • "Supersets"

Superset: basically mini circuit, usually 2-3 movements back-to-back

I haven't tried this yet, but as a way to hack together a program for people in a bit of a hurry or whatever, would pairing deadlifts with TGUs be valid or purposeful over deadlifts plus presses? Or, is it a case where the deadlifts are already so heavy that the TGU would be superfluous and the press is all that's required?

My programming includes barbell front and overhead squats, cleans, deadlifts (clean and snatch variants), hang pulls, and presses (push & Klokov variants) 2 days a week, and Simple & Sinister 2 days a week.

I was concerned about doing TGUs either the day before or day after I did pressing, worried that my shoulders would be too fatigued.

As it turns out, my shoulders were fine. It was my legs / posterior chain that were the issue.

I could do a sloppy floppy TGU with tired legs, butt, and back, but trying to do a graceful TGU with a high bridge after barbell squats, deadlifts, and swings was just a bridge too far....

I don't think the TGU is any way superflous if you're doing DLs, but my experience is that heavy DLs and squats take more out of the TGU than you might think, so programming and recovery time sequencing becomes important.

They’ve been discussed in various threads. The DMPM refers to a minimalist KB/BW program combining the swing, push up, row, and goblet.

I did a couple months of solely deadlifts superset with TGU. It's one of my favorite superset combinations; I felt indestructible.

@Bro Mo : This sounds legit. What frequency, sets, reps were you following?

Three to five times per week. (M/W/F or M/Tu/Th/F or M/Tu/W/Th/F)

Deadlift: I was doing 5 sets of doubles. Add a big plate to each side each set. (ie. 135/225/315/405/495 or 135/185/225/275/315)
rest ~30sec between movements
TGU: was 5 sets of 1R + 1L @ 32kg.
rest ~2min between sets

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom