all posts post new thread

Barbell Deadlift Breathing

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@pet'

I do not exhale completely at the top but rather I leave enough air to maintain intra-abdominal pressure. I wouldn't recommend emptying lungs. Interestingly, before I read any articles about deadlifts, I had been doing them and subconsciously I never led all air go.

@Steve Freides

Power to the People mainly advises holding the breath all the way to the top BUT it also mentions about possible problems associated with holding breath so provides other techniques. But again the video and the book in general except the section on breathing generally advises holding breath. I would instead make exhaling forcefully the main breathing technique and provide Valsalva maneuver as a side option for more advanced lifters.

The purpose of the book's breath hold is to make things simple for beginners. The goal of the breath hold is to maximize intra-abdominal pressure, which can also be accomplished, sometimes better, by a controlled exhale on the way up, but simply exhaling isn't sufficient - there is a way to do it. We teach a hiss or a grunt - I suspect what you mean by "forceful" is something similar.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom