all posts post new thread

Barbell Deadlift challenge and WTH effect

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Marc

Level 6 Valued Member
Hey guys,

I am staying at my parent's over christmas and the new year. In the basement I have a hex bar and a barbell. Since I have not been doing any barbell training (bodyweight and KBs only) the whole year I once again did the 30min deadlift challenge by Dan John (Tip: Take the Half-Hour Deadlift Challenge | T Nation) to see where I'm at. This was the second year that I did so. However it has been one year since I last did deadlifts (last christmas).
The challenge is simple: load a barbell or hex bar until 315lbs (~140kg). Set a timer on 30mins so that it beebs every minute. Do 2 reps every minute. You will end up having done 60 reps with 315lbs in 30mins! Feel free to adjust the weight to your level.

I did hex bar deadlifts with 315 (hex bar is my favourite). It was not the most pleasing 30mins but not too bad either!
Best of all it is a great proof of SF's WTH effects.
Also it is a nice holiday session: only 30mins bit highly effective!
I encourage everyone to test it out as a "holiday training" for christmas or for sylvester!

Merry christmas everybody!

@Steve Freides No problem!
I also did it with a barbell in the past but hex bar is my favourite.
Also, Dan John says that you are free to use conventional deadlifts, sumo or hex bar.
I have both a straight bar and a hex bar and I really feel more comfortable with the trap bar. @Steve Freides i know you said it’s not really a deadlift but if someone is never going to compete with a straight bar is it really a bad way to train for absolute strength.

That is like saying Sumo is not a Deadlift, or a Log Press is not a Press. There are many ways to pick a weight up off the floor.

Things have names. I read the article. It said deadlift. I have no horse in this race but a trap bar deadlift is called that.

Maybe it’s because I compete that I get to be a bit of stickler for rules, names, and the like. I just got finished writing up a proposed new lift for the AWA. If the article had said “pick 315 lbs up off the floor by the means of your choosing until you’re standing erect,” I’d agree with you @Geoff Chafe.

60 deadlifts is what I do in half a month, not half an hour, so I will respectfully decline to do this.

There are, however, some fine strength-and-hypertrophy programs that do this kind of volume. I just don’t like to see it done as a test of any sort because I think the risk of injury is higher than necessary for someone attempting this on a background of lower volume strength training.

@JGP718, I didn’t say the trap bar DL was bad nor do I think that. I just set my age/weight group record in the trap bar DL at a USAWA meet held one week ago. It’s a fine lift, used by many very strong people.

Just my opinion, folks, and I certainly didn’t mean to offend.

-S-

@Steve Freides I see now what you mean. The challenge is not the challenge if you do not do the intended lift. Yes, I agree.

When ever is see “if you can’t do this you suck” it is immediately discredited to me.

Hi Steve, this is not really 'on post' but do you mind giving an overview of your current program? Regards, Luke
@Geoff Chafe provided a link to my training log, but that won't give you the overview.

I follow a classic strategy of competing a few times a year, focusing on the competition for about 3 months leading up to each meet, and then doing related-but-different things in the off periods between competition prep. My competition focus is my barbell deadlift, my immediate goal to set a USAPL record for my division, age, and weight class in June of 2018.

At the moment, I'm doing things like 8-12 rep sets of the barbell front squat, high bar back squat, and overhead press, a triple progression for the bench press, some work on the rings, and some one-arm pushups. I recently did a USAWA (all-round lifting) meet, just for fun, and set some American records in my age and weight class in a few things including a 330 lb. (150 kg) trap bar DL and a 330 lb. (also 150 kg) straddle DL, both lifts I don't train directly but that are close enough to what I do train that I can do them once in a while. Age is 62, weight class varies across 66 kg, 67.5 and 70 kg (145.5, 148.8, and 154 lbs. respectively) depending on the federation, and division is raw - I don't even wear a belt. I weighed in at 151 lbs. for a day-of weigh-in last weekend, and wake up most mornings at 152 or so.

And I do my a few things every day or at least a few times a week that keep my mobility and flexibility in good shape.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom