all posts post new thread

Barbell Deadlift combined with Q&D

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

mikhael

Level 9 Valued Member
Hi, I would be happy if somebody would give me feedback on the following conception of combining deadlift with Q&D.
I have struggled to make them both work together but doing swings and lifts 5-6 times a week would surely lead to an injury, or at least to overtraining.
It was not easy to solve the issue until this week has started. I have come to a university where two years ago kettlebells were available. Now they are no more.
At first, I got angry, but then I thought "good", if there are no kettlebells around I could replace swings with Squat Jumps, and thus Q&D might fit into my DL plan nicely.
So, here is the plan:

Mon: Q&D
Tue: DL Heavy 1/5@90%1RM
Wed: Q&D
Thu: DL Light 5/5@60%1RM
Fri: Q&D
Sat: DL Medium 3/3@80%1RM
Sun: OFF

What do you think about this combination, and another question would be regarding Pull-ups: Should I fit them into the weekly schedule in a 3/3 or 5/5 scheme, or ditch them entirely since deadlifting improves pull-ups?

I would be grateful to receive feedback from all of you lads and gents.
@Pavel Macek and @Steve Freides what do you think about this plan?

My comments:
  • DL and high swing volume are too much for me - I get beat up. But I guess you're talking about doing jumps rather than swings for Q&D? Maybe that's OK... though I'd be looking for some way to dampen the eccentric impact if I wanted to train jumps that often, I think that would get tough on the joints.
  • I have never seen carryover from DL to pullups - if I don't do pullups, I get weaker there. Maybe a function of my poor relative strength (I'm heavy).
  • I am confident that DL at 90% 1RM once a week would destroy me. So, personally, that looks like a recipe for a getting hurt.

Oh, as I can see Pavel gave you the recommendation to focus on DLs + S&S twice per week until you hit 200 kg. Have you seen this already? I would just follow the chief's recommendation then.

Oh, as I can see Pavel gave you the recommendation to focus on DLs + S&S twice per week until you hit 200 kg. Have you seen this already? I would just follow the chief's recommendation then.
I've just read it, and of course I will follow chief's recommendations.

focus on DLs
How to the best approach to DL? PTTP-like scheme with 5/2, or vary a number of sets and reps and weight from session to session?
My last session was 5@125kg, so 1RM would be 135-140 but haven't tested it.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom