all posts post new thread

Recommendations/Reviews/FS/WTB Deadlift Deadener

Products recommendations and reviews, items For Sale or Wanted To Buy
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Kettlebelephant

Level 6 Valued Member
Has anyone ever used them? -> DEADLIFT DEADENER™

They look like a great thing for everyone who doesn't have the room (e.g. a dedicated room or garage) for his homegym with flooring and possibly even a lifting platform.
Someone who's working at strengthshop recommended them to me.

I learned to deadlift on a single 4' x 6' x 3/4" mat - that seems better to me, at least in part because everything is at the same level. My current deadlift setup is only a bit bigger - I put another half a mat down so my area is 4' x 9' or so, which is plenty of room.

-S-

But you are lifting in your basement right?

I have parquet floors in a rented apartment, so I can't afford to damage that in any way.
It's also a single room, which means I live and sleep in that room. No way I'm putting a huge mat or multiple smaller mats in there :D
And I can't imagine that I'm the only one with that problem. We must have some students or people living in super expensive citys like Manhatten here who can't afford more than a single-room apartement.

That’s cool. My budget version is spare particleboard with some old rubber auto floor mats on either end. My barbells are about 3/4” less diameter than normal 45s, so while I still pull at a slight deficit, it’s close. It’s loud but my concrete basement floor is intact.

Provided that they actually work, they look like an excellent budget-friendly solution. I'd probably still want to use rubber or rubber-coated plates just to keep the noise level down though.

My last gym has 3/4'' gym flooring above a chipboard floor.
There's maybe a handful of guys who deadlift more then 150Kg. I've never seen anybody do Oly lifts.
So I have to assume people only drop from waist height or below and with less than 150Kg.
While I was there for about 3 months the floor beneath the gym flooring cracked open 2 times.
I deadlift 200+Kg.
See why I don't trust those 3/4'' mats to keep my floor save?

It's different to have those mats on top of 2 pieces of dense plywood, like you have it in DIY lifting platforms.
Compared to plywood parquet isn't anywhere as forgiving. It's more like chipboard. At least mine is, I dropped a 36Kg KB on it once...

The DL Deadener guys claim it spreads the load better and by this protects the floor much better than mats, hence my question if someone has used them.

7C5537C5-DF0E-4CCE-ACD5-671F8EA40A46.jpeg

But you are lifting in your basement right?
It’s handmade tile so the surface isn’t totally smooth, put there by the previous owner of the house. I’ve looked under the mats once or twice and the tiles seem completely undamaged.

Yes, it is in my basement so the tile is, so far as I know, on the concrete directly.

-S-

I used to use a couple 18"x 18" sections of old carpet on the floor and then got a couple of the connecting rubber mats and would put it under the weights. Could you imagine accidentally setting the bar down on the wrong spot of those deadeners and watching it roll down the front of it and right into the wall - maybe I'm just a glass half empty kind of guy :)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom