all posts post new thread

Barbell Deadlift Fans

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

JeffC

Level 7 Valued Member
From Arnold Strongman Santa Monica 2020.

Elite lifters moving heavy iron doesn’t get much better. No Sumo allowed in Strongman, but a look at different styles. I got pretty good at the wide stance style a lot of top strongman deadliftes use.

Grinding reps and straps are allowed. Shows how important the scoop is when everyone reverts to it. Some strong backs there.

What did that guy have in his mouth? Was it behind his teeth, or am I mistaken?

I love DL. I know it is sounds weird but... this is one of the best exercise I do. I've learned a lot from it, stay focus, stay tight, be humble, and respect the and weight.

@kennycro@@aol.com. I think the weight was chosen well. 775lb for reps. For some it was too heavy, some struggled, and a few excelled.

This was event four of five in a very important contest, to qualify for the last spot in Ohio, where there is real money on the line.

There are strong Deadlifters there if they grind a few extra reps for the points that is what they have to do. Some guys were just trying not to zero the event.

Last edited:
I think we can all agree that strongman and power meet deadlifts are very different styles.
Strongman is basically anyway you can get the weight up and the use of straps.
The PL DL has specific rules to follow or the lift will not be counted.
For the sake of just moving heavy weight the strongman DL can be impressive.
That guy has a special mouth piece to help increase his power out put.
My dentist told me years ago about a study done at UCLA where they tested this and indeed in their study the people that used the mouth guard had a slight increase when maxing out.
Strongman Brian Shaw has a mouth piece product he sells for lifting.
Of course it also protects those back teeth from grinding and possible damage.

That guy has a special mouth piece to help increase his power out put.

Mouth Guard

Yes, the Mouth Guard can increase force production.

Mouth guards make you stronger and faster

Athletes are stronger and quicker if they bite on a custom-made mouth guard while doing intensive exercise.

Sports scientists call this phenomenon "concurrent activation potentiation"

Strength athletes can develop more strength if they clench their jaw during sets.

1579722818829.png
Source: J Strength Cond Res. 2016 Apr;30(4):1102-10.

@kennycro@@aol.com. I think the weight was chosen well. 775lb for reps.
For some it was too heavy ...

Geoff, I watched the video and was aware that...

1) The weight selected was 775 lbs.

2) It was too heavy for some.

...where there is real money on the line. ...if they grind a few extra reps for the points that is what they have to do. ...[ /QUOTE]

Yes, when real money's on the line, people are willing to do about anything.

@kennycro@@aol.com, any more information on this? Off the shelf or custom? Links? I would be willing to experiment with this.

Thanks.

-S-

I remember having to wear a mouth guard to protect my teeth when playing rugby as a teenager. I recall, it was a standard size/shape which would become soft when placed in hot water and could then be bit down on when cooling to reshape and mold to the shape of the teeth. It can't have been expensive.

It looks like you can get 'multi sport' mouth guards for about £20 in the UK. If there is a version specifically aimed at strength sports I would imagine it's more or less the exact same thing but with a heftier price tag.

@kennycro@@aol.com, any more information on this? Off the shelf or custom? Links? I would be willing to experiment with this.

Thanks.

-S-

Steve,

Below is the abstract from the research article. I have the full article that I can send you, if you want it.

J Strength Cond Res. 2016 Apr;30(4):1102-10. doi: 10.1519/JSC.0000000000001192.

Effects of Jaw Clenching While Wearing a Customized Bite-Aligning Mouthpiece on Strength in Healthy Young Men.
Buscà B1, Morales J, Solana-Tramunt M, Miró A, García M.
Author information

Abstract

Recent studies have investigated the ergogenic effects of different types of mouthguards. There is evidence of the benefits of clenching customized mouthpieces on force and power development. The phenomenon called concurrent activation potentiation (CAP) promoted in jaw clenching seems to enhance the muscular strength and power in maximal isometric contractions and powerful actions in sport. Moreover, a bite-aligning mouthpiece may promote a more aligned and powerful clench. The objective of the present study was to investigate the effects of jaw clenching while wearing a customized bite-aligning mouthpiece (MP) on jump ability and isometric maximal strength tests in contrast to 2 other conditions: nonjaw clenching (NON-JAW) and jaw clenching without the mouthpiece (JAW). A within-subjects design was used to assess the jump performance and the maximal isometric force in 28 physically active male subjects. Statistical analyses revealed significantly higher performance in JAW and NON-JAW conditions for handgrip force (HG-peakforce) and all variables of the back-row exercise (BRW) and countermovement vertical jump (CMVJ) (p ≤ 0.05). Significant differences between NON-JAW and JAW were found for HG-peakforce (p ≤ 0.05). These findings suggest that it is advisable to use a customized bite-aligning mouthpiece to improve strength and power performance.

Cheap Mouth Guard

I tried a cheap mouth guard from Walmart. The custom made ones are costly.

It worked fairly well. However, I have a strong gag reflex to things like that go into my mouth like that as and getting x-ray at the dentist. So, it didn't work well for me. I may give it another try since I grind my teeth on hard reps.

In performing Depth Landings (dropping off a 36 in high box with fairly heavy dumbbells and just sticking the landing) years ago, my teeth hurt more than anything else. I definitely was clench my teeth, bracing for the impact. Like most, I clench my teeth in grinding out hard reps, as well.

Clenching you teeth is definitely a form of bracing or...

Pavel's Irradiation

It seems preposterous to a bodybuilder that clenching your cheeks and bracing your abs will strengthen your grip, but that's the way your body works. What I teach... is something called irradiation.

Make a fist, Chris, a tight, white-knuckle fist. Notice how the tension spreads into your biceps, shoulder and chest. So whenever the load is meaningful, the tension will spread elsewhere. It's going to happen. If you try to fight it, you'll only hurt yourself.

Off The Shelf

You might try getting a inexpensive one an see how it work.

Last edited:
I've used the 6DS mouthpiece from New Age Performance. It works pretty well, I can definitely get tighter when bracing but I hate having something in my mouth when I lift. My gag reflex is very strong so I don't use it anymore, but I know people who really like it.

I have a strong gag reflex to things like that go into my mouth like that as and getting x-ray at the dentist.
I have this, too - I used to have a difficult time brushing my back teeth. I've managed to get a little better about it over the years but I'd say only a little.

-S-

I have been using a bite guard for about three years. I had a night guard made on the recommendation of my dentist. While I was getting the molds done I had the bite guard made. It was about $350 and not covered by my insurance.

For me lifting with the bite guard makes a noticeable difference in tension and confidence. Like a good belt it makes me feel safer than without the equipment.

Mouth Guard

Yes, the Mouth Guard can increase force production.

Mouth guards make you stronger and faster

Athletes are stronger and quicker if they bite on a custom-made mouth guard while doing intensive exercise.

Sports scientists call this phenomenon "concurrent activation potentiation"

Strength athletes can develop more strength if they clench their jaw during sets.

View attachment 9576
Source: J Strength Cond Res. 2016 Apr;30(4):1102-10.

I disagree that mouth pieces can increase force production, make you stronger or create tension, because it's just a piece of plastic.

However I do accept that wearing a mouth piece could increase force production, make you stronger and create tension.

A mouth piece may give elite athletes an extra edge, but the majority of us recreational athletes could and should work on creating tension and improving strength by perfecting our technique

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom