all posts post new thread

Barbell Deadlift fixes everything

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Deleted member 316

I've been doing S&S for awhile. A couple weeks ago I tweaked my back helping the in laws move. It was during the getting the dryer and washer out of the basement. This month I decided to try out the two weeks of s&s and two weeks of pttp. The pttp week started on monday. The back was still tweaked and wonky. Getting down into the deadlift position felt tight and stretchy. Today feeling better. Still a little tight, but not achy.

I've been doing S&S for awhile. A couple weeks ago I tweaked my back helping the in laws move. It was during the getting the dryer and washer out of the basement. This month I decided to try out the two weeks of s&s and two weeks of pttp. The pttp week started on monday. The back was still tweaked and wonky. Getting down into the deadlift position felt tight and stretchy. Today feeling better. Still a little tight, but not achy.

Deadlifts really do fix everything! I find the more regularly I pull something, the better my back feels overall. It doesn't always have to be "heavy" but doing some kind of hinge pattern with load is key.

Agreed. Because I have temporarily "given up" on going for really heavy weight, I'm searching for a "sweet spot" weight to do deadlifts at. I'm assuming this is around 1.5 times bodyweight, so for me around 330lbs.

Hello,

If I remember well, even great coaches, such as Zach Even-Esh tells that after a certain age (most of the time, roughly 35), heavy weight lifting becomes less interesting in terms of risk-to-reward ratio. Indeed, due to recovery issues or simple mileage, soreness or injuries get more common, so there is way less sport or tactical or health benefits.

This is why he often advocates lighter training, using moderately heavy bells or sandbags and stuff of this kind. Even regular bodyweight can be made challenging

Kind regards,

Pet'

Agreed. Because I have temporarily "given up" on going for really heavy weight, I'm searching for a "sweet spot" weight to do deadlifts at. I'm assuming this is around 1.5 times bodyweight, so for me around 330lbs.
That sweet spot should be around 75% 1RM for many people. Vary the load, down to 65% and up to 85% but a 75% on your bar should let you lift without needing to get psyched up for it and without a lot of warmup.

-S-

If I remember well, even great coaches, such as Zach Even-Esh tells that after a certain age (most of the time, roughly 35), heavy weight lifting becomes less interesting in terms of risk-to-reward ratio. Indeed, due to recovery issues or simple mileage, soreness or injuries get more common, so there is way less sport or tactical or health benefits.

This is why he often advocates lighter training, using moderately heavy bells or sandbags and stuff of this kind. Even regular bodyweight can be made challenging
Well I certainly don't agree with that advice. 35 is already old?

-S-

Hello,

Well I certainly don't agree with that advice. 35 is already old?
If you are a competitive athlete from college or even before to...35 years old, yes it may be because you presumably have been trained very hard for a long time.

Depending on how you practice, and also depending on the sport itself, 35 may be old or not. If you consider tennis:
- Roger Federer, he is still quite good and not often injured (excepted 2 or 3 years ago). He is 37 years old.
- Rafael Nadal is younger (33 yeas old) and way more often injured.

In general, some sport may provide longer high level career (MMA, etc...)

Kind regards,

Pet'

@pet', there's a big difference between athletes who compete on the national or international stage and the rest of us. Training at 75% 1RM and competing or testing 1RM periodically is a formula that should work well into old age for anyone at any level. The danger would be in trying to train at 75% of a no-longer-realistic level.

-S-

That sweet spot should be around 75% 1RM for many people. Vary the load, down to 65% and up to 85% but a 75% on your bar should let you lift without needing to get psyched up for it and without a lot of warmup.

-S-
THANK YOU! I did not know that! So for me it's in the high 200s (roughly 280lbs) since my 1RM is 370lbs.

Assuming your 370 is a true 1RM, then yes, that's right. If you think your 1RM is soft, then you could try a little heavier.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom