all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Deadlift for Parenting

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

WhatWouldHulkDo

Level 8 Valued Member
Just a fun story.

I do my deadlifts in the morning, before the rest of the house is awake. My little girl, who is an early riser like her old man, often comes down to the gym just to say good morning. This morning, she tells me, "the whole house shakes when you drop the weights."

Now, I think she's exaggerating... but, even so, thinking about her rolling over in bed first thing in the morning and thinking "daddy must be downstairs lifting things" warms my heart. I often joke that part of my job is to make sure no man will ever be good enough for her. If I can add a 2x BW deadlift to her list of requirements, all the better.

@WhatWouldHulkDo - nice. I recall all four of us participating in an early GS meet here in the US. I think my kids were ages 6 and 10 at the time, and lifting things just seemed like something everyone did. They found little kettlebells for my youngest, 4 kg or something like that.

Good stuff. They're both in their 20's now (meet must have been in 2003 or so) and managing to stay pretty strong, lifting weights and also doing other stuff like playing basketball and running.

-S-

I have been bringing my boys into my gym since they were about 6 months. They are 11 months now. I would put them in their jumper or pack and play while I did my training.

They squeal and laugh. I tell them to clap their hands. They watch me intently. I hope some aspect of strength imprints on them.

Last edited:
My son loves coming to the gym with me, mostly because the childcare room has cool toys, but also because he can peek out the windows and watch me lift.

A few weeks ago I was cutting onions and warned him they were so strong it was making my eyes tear up...he responded with "oh mommy-just show those onions what you've learned at the gym". He also tells me I'm the strongest mommy. Kids are a good ego boost. :)

Pretty much the reason why I now,train at home, the equipment and environment is limited compared to most gyms but having my kids watch, learn and join in is vital to me these days - love when my three year old tries handstand with me, attempts to use small wooden Clubbells or cleans her 2kg Kettlebell

Just a fun story.

I do my deadlifts in the morning, before the rest of the house is awake. My little girl, who is an early riser like her old man, often comes down to the gym just to say good morning. This morning, she tells me, "the whole house shakes when you drop the weights."

Now, I think she's exaggerating... but, even so, thinking about her rolling over in bed first thing in the morning and thinking "daddy must be downstairs lifting things" warms my heart. I often joke that part of my job is to make sure no man will ever be good enough for her. If I can add a 2x BW deadlift to her list of requirements, all the better.

My 15-yo daughter can deadlift, squat, clean & jerk and snatch with beautiful technique way more than average high-school/college boys. It won't be easy for the dudes... ;)

My 15-yo daughter can deadlift, squat, clean & jerk and snatch with beautiful technique way more than average high-school/college boys. It won't be easy for the dudes... ;)
If she was a few years older, I would like to introduce her to my 21- and 25-year-old sons. :)

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom