all posts post new thread

Barbell Deadlift form check please

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

LukeV

Level 7 Valued Member
Any advice greatly appreciated. I am lifting 150kg using straps because my grip was starting to fail at six reps. Thanks in advance for any pointers! Luke.

I think these look pretty good. The shirt makes it a bit hard to see all of what's happening at the lower back. I think you could pull your shoulders a tiny bit further back on top and maybe stay there for a nanosecond longer. Great job.

Your form looks pretty good from what I can see. Personally I would go for more weight, fewer reps, and completely get rid of the straps. I would also do a complete reset between reps. That’ll give your grip a little recovery time too. Well done though and looking strong bud!

@LukeV,

What is your specific goal in deadlifting?

You are bending your elbows at the top - no need to do that.

Unless you have a specific reason to do so, keep your deadlifts in territory you can manage without straps. As Pavel mentions in Power To The People!, simply swapping out longer sets for shorter sets on short rest periods is a better solution for most people. Keep deadlifts to 5 reps and under as a rule.

The weight looks 75%-ish to me. I'd consider not using a belt until you get above that. But if you've always deadlifted with a belt, back way off with the weight until you get used to lifting without one.

-S-

@LukeV ...looking good Sir. The only thing I would suggest is ...
1. Think "long arms" , stretch them down when you set up .flexing the elbows at the top will hurt you sooner or later
2. Shoulders a little more back at the top
3. Focus on thrusting hips forward will assure a good lock out at the top.
4. Maybe try mixed grip or hook grip to see which may help.

Carl in Dover

This was not a typical deadlift session for me. I am heading away for 10 days and just got a (crazy) idea to see how many reps I could do with 150kg before the break. (And my wife just happened to be there so I asked her to video.)

I don't usually lift with straps but didn't want failing grip to be an issue this workout. Mixed grip seems to wreak havoc with my shoulders - possibly an arthritis issue, shoulder position is an issue with my pressing too.

My goal is simply to be strong and defy Father Time. I am toying with the idea of competing but think I need to get stronger.

I estimated 150kg to be about 80% RM. I weigh 88kg (down from 101kg earlier in the year woo! hoo!).

My current program is Justa Singles #1, substituting sets of 2-5 reps for the singles. This seems to be working. I have previously done PTTP and 531 for lengthy periods. I have a three day per week Plan Strong program waiting in the wings.

I bought the belt because my lower back was protesting the daily workout and it really seems to help. Perhaps there is an issue of acclimatising to the higher frequency.

Thanks so much for all your comments. This forum has been invaluable to me. I hope one day to be as useful to others as you have all been to me.

Merry Christmas to all Strongfirsters from Canberra, Australia!

Hi @LukeV

You lats aren't as engaged as they could be a the start and throughout the lift, and your back looks just a bit rounded to me. Just my observations! But certainly not far off the target, IMO. Nice work with the heavy weight.

This was not a typical deadlift session for me. I am heading away for 10 days and just got a (crazy) idea to see how many reps I could do with 150kg before the break. (And my wife just happened to be there so I asked her to video.)
I'll agree with the "crazy" part. :)

I don't usually lift with straps but didn't want failing grip to be an issue this workout. Mixed grip seems to wreak havoc with my shoulders - possibly an arthritis issue, shoulder position is an issue with my pressing too.

As mentioned earlier, just do shorter sets to avoid the need for straps. As to your shoulders, consider a Functional Movement Screen or other assessment of your basic movement abilities. It would be good to know if you have movement issues that need addressing, and even more important to have specific knowledge about arthritis and how you may need to accommodate for that in your choices of strength training.

My goal is simply to be strong and defy Father Time. I am toying with the idea of competing but think I need to get stronger.
You only need to compete with yourself.

I estimated 150kg to be about 80% RM. I weigh 88kg (down from 101kg earlier in the year woo! hoo!).
We are in agreement about the weight. Congratulations to you on your weight loss!

My current program is Justa Singles #1, substituting sets of 2-5 reps for the singles. This seems to be working. I have previously done PTTP and 531 for lengthy periods. I have a three day per week Plan Strong program waiting in the wings.
Substituting sets for singles does not sound like a good idea. Your PlanStrong program does, though.

I bought the belt because my lower back was protesting the daily workout and it really seems to help. Perhaps there is an issue of acclimatising to the higher frequency.
Better you should not wear the belt and not lift every day, and start from there. That would be an honest, and safe, foundation upon which you could build.

Best wishes for a good Christmas and a happy and healthy 2018 to you, too.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom