all posts post new thread

Barbell Deadlift Form Check

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Filip Strong

Level 4 Valued Member
Beast Tamer
Greetings brothers and sisters in strength!

In the last few months I've been working on my deadlift (I want to compete in TSC). I've been recording most of them and I've chosen some to show you.
In the videos, it can be seen that my lower back isn't perfect flat. I've been trying to improve this, but I think my body phisique won't let me have super-perfect flat lower back in deadlifts. Recently I've tried to change from classic to sumo DL, and I think it's a little bit better (with my lower back). In my personal experience, I feel better performing classic DL, but in the videos we can see that sumo looks better (I think that).
I have question for you - can you watch the video and assess if my deadlifts are safe(for lower back especially)?
I've never have any kind of pain in the lower back, but watching my DLs vs other people DLs I think mine are awful (in terms of technique).

There is video:

(Without sound due to copyright)

Scenes are ordered: first my PR (180kg, then from newest (some sumo DLs) to the oldest (classic DLs).

Last edited:
"Video unavailable. This video contains content from SME, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds."

This often happens because of background music.

-S-

Yes it works now.

I like your conventional DL. Your first sumo rep didn't look good but they got better as they went. I watch the first 2 or 3 sumo clips. You might consider which allows you to pull the most in competition, and you could, e.g., train sumo most of the time then switch to conventional when the competition gets closer.

-S-

can you watch the video and assess if my deadlifts are safe(for lower back especially)?
I've never have any kind of pain in the lower back, but watching my DLs vs other people DLs I think mine are awful (in terms of technique).
I think they're good, @Filip Strong ! You're clearly adapted to what you're doing and your technique looks good. Personally, when I look around a gym with my trainer's eye, I don't cringe when I see a back that's not perfectly flat -- I cringe when I see someone totally lose the form that they are attempting to pull with, or pull from a totally wrong position, or totally lack adequate tension in the torso. You are definitely not doing any of those things. Looks strong and stable and safe to me (although no one can guarantee that a lifting form is "safe" from outside observation). Anyway, my view FWIW.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom