all posts post new thread

Barbell Deadlift form check

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

BJJ Shawn

Level 6 Valued Member
In regards to my previous post found Here, I said I would post a form check so here it is. I know it’s not the best angle, but I can’t get more to the side with the way my setup is right now so I’ll move things around and get a better angle soon.

I see my hips rising a couple inches before my knees start to straighten, I don’t know if that’s an issue, but they feel fine and I haven’t been having the pains since I lowered the volume.

Weight here is 255lbs, and I use the drop pads because I lift at 5am so with this setup I’m in about a 1 inch deficit. This is my last set from PTTP this morning, I have been doing the 5-3-2 variation so same weight used for all sets.

Last edited:
I would try to to get in the starting position and then raise those hips a bit in order to create more tension in the hamstrings (in the actual position I doubt that your hamstrings are loaded) sit back a bit (wedging) and then push really hard with your feet into the floor and initiate the pull.
I'm not sure if I'm seeing correctly but your shoulders seem a bit too far in front of the bar but that could be due to wearing weightlifting shoes when deadlifting. They do not help with deadlifting exactly for that reason, it will put you too far in front of the bar.
Overall is not bad. A different angle will help way better so we are waiting for that video whenever you can :D .

I would like to see you try the kind of form Brett has demonstrated, and that Pavel talks about in PTTP, wherein you get tight at the top, you stay tight as you reach for the bar, and you squeeze the bar off the ground. To my eye, the first thing that happens when you start to move the bar is your lower back rounds a little. You need to practice slowly, getting a flat back and then making sure you keep it that way when you start to pull.

-S-

I'm not sure if the camera angle is different but the three rep set looks pretty good!

From this set, I would pay attention to the eccentric. Your back rounds on it etc. Stay in control, even if you don't move it slowly.

Looking good!

To add to the good feedback above, make sure the bar is close to your legs and you feel the weight mid-foot.

You might try taking a bigger breath also. For me a big breath and bracing with that really helps keep my back stable. I hold it until the weight is back on the floor.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom