all posts post new thread

Barbell Deadlift help, please...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Marty

Level 6 Valued Member
Hey everybody,

I was wondering if I could get some help with my deadlift...

First, here’s my Simple story for a little background:

Hi Everyone! Thanks so much for this forum!!! It's motivated and inspired me on a daily basis. I've been a lurker for quite a while, but finally feel justified to break my silence (with quite a long post). Today, after 15 months, I achieved Simple...with a minute and a half to spare.

A little backstory:

-33 year old husband and father, 6 feet tall, 170 pounds.

-Professional musician/band nerd serving in the military as a Bugler at Arlington national cemetery.

-Little to no physical training background

-Joined the Army as a 29 year old doctoral music student after winning a national audition in 2013

-Became interested in physical training after basic combat training

-Heard Pavel's interview on the Tim Ferris Show

-Bought and started "Simple and Sinister" with my first 16kg bell in June of 2016.

It's important to note that my main interest in training didn't come from what the Army required of me. It is my oldest daughter's needs that drive me to get stronger. She was born with a freak brain injury resulting in severe cerebral palsy. Her needs are significant and she is completely dependent on those around her. She is the greatest blessing that has been given to me and my wife. I need strength not only for her safety, but for the safety of my entire family. The bigger she gets, the more motivated I am to get strong.

"Simple and Sinister" was a great starting point for said strength. Within the first few months of practice, I noticed that carrying her was easier even though she was gaining weight. The principles of a good hinge and packed shoulders work wonders when picking her up off the floor. I also feel more stable than ever when moving her from place to place.

It took a little longer than I had hoped to reach the goal, but I'm glad I was persistent. Getting comfortable with the 32kg took about 7 months. I dealt with hand tearing and a lower back strain, but quickly realized how I could fix those problems. Chalk and the top of a sock is not cheating in my book, and sitting deeper in the hinge (bending my knees a little more) takes most of the pressure off my back. If nothing else, I feel stronger for learning from my mistakes.

Thanks again for being such a great community!!! This program is amazing!

I’ve been deadlifting for about 6 weeks. The first video is a single at #225(initial 1RM), and the second is a triple at #175(Deload). My current 1RM is an ugly 255 (shaky legs).

I’ve noticed my hips rising faster than my torso every time I pull. What cues can help with this? Anything else wrong?

I use a quasi sumo stance because it’s closer to my kettlebell swing stance. Should I change this?

My goal is to eventually get to 2x body weight, and to compete in this October’s TSC. I’m about to start a cycle of Daily Dose Deadlift, so I would like to make sure everything is in check. Please help. Thanks everybody!!!

Looks good, Marty! No major problems.

I’ve noticed my hips rising faster than my torso every time I pull. What cues can help with this? Anything else wrong?

You might need to start with your hips a little higher, but before trying that, just try to get tighter before the pull. Get so tight the weight is almost lifting off the floor. Doc Hartle says flex the triceps and grip the bar hard. Active lats will also be pulling the bar into you and keep this as you start to stand, maintaining the weight over mid-foot. Then push your through the floor as you stand.

I use a quasi sumo stance because it’s closer to my kettlebell swing stance. Should I change this?

It is recommended in the SF barbell course and cert to start with a semi-sumo, as you are. Looks like it's working well for you so might as well stick with it for a while if your knees and everything else is OK with it.

Looks good, Marty! No major problems.

You might need to start with your hips a little higher, but before trying that, just try to get tighter before the pull. Get so tight the weight is almost lifting off the floor. Doc Hartle says flex the triceps and grip the bar hard. Active lats will also be pulling the bar into you and keep this as you start to stand, maintaining the weight over mid-foot. Then push your through the floor as you stand.

It is recommended in the SF barbell course and cert to start with a semi-sumo, as you are. Looks like it's working well for you so might as well stick with it for a while if your knees and everything else is OK with it.

Thanks, Anna C!!!! That’s what I was hoping for. You guys have much more experienced eyes than I do. Such a great resource.

I find it difficult to multi-task my thoughts while doing anything physical. One rep, I’ll think “bend the bar,” and forget to wedge. Then I’ll think “wedge hard,” and forget to “bend the bar.” This reminds me of all those years learning how to play trumpet. Strength is a skill much like playing a musical instrument, for sure.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom