all posts post new thread

Barbell DEADLIFT HELP!!!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Aswilli4

Level 5 Valued Member
SF Community I need your advice with my dead lifts.

The last 5 months or so my dead lift has been going backwards. With that being said I have extensively covered my training log and want to make mention of a few things that may clarify where I am going with this. I now O lift and have switched my my squat over the the high bar ATG squat from the power squat. I am following a conjugate type squat every day routine and I am breaking PRs on everything now, which is really exciting.

Please bear with me, the above info mentioned has a point i am trying to make. Basically I like the routine I am doing as it is working for me right now, all except for the dead lift and from best I can tell, it seems as though my quads have become so over dominant now, I think my posterier chain isn't firing. DLs feel weird to me now, I used to really be able to feel my hips,glutes and hams during the lift and now i feel a lot of tension in my lower back instead.

Ok to my point, any advice on how to fix this without having to change my routine? Perhaps a high volume of 48 KG KB swings, RDLs and barbell hip bridges?

Thanks,
Andy

Andy, I think you already understand what's going on. In particular, a powerlifting style of squat is much more like a deadlift, and much more likely to help your deadlift, than a high-bar squat.

You need a clearly defined set of goals. If everything is a priority, nothing is a priority, to quote Rob Lawrence, so what you've experienced just tells me that your Oly lifting is more important than your DL in your current training regimen, and that's OK. Sometimes you cannot have it all at once - that's life.

-S-

Steve,

Thank you for your input as you are exactly right, specificity is key. I like where my progress is taking me so I will suck it up right now and deal with the lagging area. Perhaps later I'll do a specialization cycle on Dead lifts, just hard to accept psychologically sometimes :)

Again appreciate the advice!

No problem - best of luck and let us know how it all works out for you. A cycle of DL specialization sounds good.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom