all posts post new thread

Barbell Deadlift Jack / Wedge?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Instead of a DL jack, I tried these:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TVVBD6O

and, for my purposes, they work fine. I don't use them often but when I do, they work as advertised, they take up essentially zero space in my gym, and they were very inexpensive.

-S-

That's exactly what I was thinking about.

The jacks seem expensive / overkill for home use unless you're pulling >400 lbs, but that wedge seems cheap, small, and just right.

Do you have 1 or 2 of them?

I use jack stands from an auto parts store.

You do have to lift each end of the bar onto the cradles of the stands and then back down, but they still make changing plates a lot easier. I got the smallest size the store had, which put the plates a couple of inches off the floor.

If you want, you can put some cushioning on the cradles of the jack stands to protect the knurling on your bar, but I've never bothered. The bar catches on my power rack are bare metal and I place the jack stands so the bar rests in the same spots as it does in the rack.

Or just use a 2.5 lb plate. Works like a wedge but you don’t need to buy anything else.
For $10, I'm happy to have the wedge - you don't have to be as careful with it since it's designed to do that one job - it does it better. But I can't disagree with the idea that it isn't strictly necessary, either - you're right about that.

-S-

I use a jack in the gym. It's great. Takes a lot of space. At home I have a wedge. Not as good. Like said before, a 1,25kg plate works almost as well as the wedge. I use the small plate if I pull off boxes.

I've never had a problem lifting the collar with one hand while sliding the plate with the other hand. It's never more than 50% of my pull weight. Do I just not have enough plates on it that I don't seem to need any of these solutions?

I've never had a problem lifting the collar with one hand while sliding the plate with the other hand. It's never more than 50% of my pull weight. Do I just not have enough plates on it that I don't seem to need any of these solutions?

It's mostly a matter of convenience. Also, it's easier to make the plates tight against each other when they're not against the ground. Of course, it's all exacerbated by the amount of weight you lift. I'm not sure I'd bother with a jack if I was only putting two or three plates a side instead of five or six. Then again, a wedge costs next to nothing and takes no room so I don't see it as a problem, and even less so for the 2,5lbs/1,25kg plate.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom