all posts post new thread

Barbell Deadlift reps for strength

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Trever

Level 4 Valued Member
While doing PTTP or other strength programs (5x3x2 reps), is it best to stand up and reset after each rep? Or breath at the top and touch and go? Or pause and reset at bottom without standing up and losing tension?

pause and reset at bottom without standing up and losing tension?

This one gets my vote for most general strength-building deadlift sets.

is it best to stand up and reset after each rep? Or breath at the top and touch and go? Or pause and reset at bottom without standing up and losing tension?

Training Effects

1) Stand Up And Rest: Performing in this manner make turn it into Cluster Set Training. That means you are training a brief rest between each repetition or cluster of repetitions.

Pausing build strength or power, dependent on the load you are using, from the floor position.

This short rest period allows you to pull more weight.

2) Touch and Go: This is a quazi-Plyometric type action. You obtain some momentum with the bounce off the floor.

The Touch and Go decreases the amount of strength required come off the floor, with the momentum.

The Touch and Go allow you to increase the loading more in the middle range of the movement.

3) Pause and Reset Without Standing: This falls into being Cluster Set Training, a variation of Standing up and resting between each repetition. Essentially, this option and your first option are the same.

Cluster Set and Paused Deadlift each provide a different training effect. One is not necessarily better than the other.

You training option is dependent on what your training objective is; increasing strength in off the floor or more in the middle range of the movement.

Kenny Croxdale

While doing PTTP or other strength programs (5x3x2 reps), is it best to stand up and reset after each rep? Or breath at the top and touch and go? Or pause and reset at bottom without standing up and losing tension?
Each serves a different purpose.

Stand up and reset is most like a competition so it's great for heavy singles.

Breath at the top and touch-n-go can be performed in several different ways - the typical one I see is bouncing the bar off the floor, which provides an aid to the bottom of the ROM, which is actually where a lot of folks need to train in order to get stronger, so I don't much care for that. But touch-n-go where you lower the bar under control and try to touch lightly - think about making little or no sound as the bar "kisses" the floor - is a fine variation on the deadlift and is my choice as a general exercise. It's more time under tension, but be advised that it's not for beginners because controlling the descent like that is its own skill. If you try this, my advice is, along the lines of people who focus their deadlift on driving their hips forward, to focus on pushing your hips backwards as the bar descend, keeping a lot of tension in your entire body.

Pause and reset at the bottom is good for a lot of reasons - it's particularly good practice for someone who likes to set up in competition at the bottom, as I do, so it makes "reps" more like a series of singles without taking the take to stand up and reset after every single.

I agree with Anna that, if you're going to pick one of the three, the last one is the one to pick for most people, but they're all good and all worth using at some point in your training.

-S-

...bouncing the bar off the floor, which provides an aid to the bottom of the ROM, which is actually where a lot of folks need to train in order to get stronger,

Conventional Deadlifters

Conventional Deadlifter are traditionally strong off the floor. The sticking point is in the knee area.

Bouncing Deadlift off the floor for this group allows them...

1) Overload their weak point.

2) Increase power in the knee area.

Bounce It

Individual in this category, with strong drive off the floor, need to perform some it plyomertic Deadlift at time. That means you need to allow the bar to free fall, obtaining a greater bounce, greater momentum.

George Leeman - 800lbs Deadlift For 8 Reps

This video demonstrates Leeman bounding the Deadlift for repetitions.

...it's not for beginners...

Agreed

First you need how to perform the lift. Some light Touch and Go's are alright.

Kenny Croxdale

Conventional Deadlifters

Conventional Deadlifter are traditionally strong off the floor. The sticking point is in the knee area.

Bouncing Deadlift off the floor for this group allows them...

1) Overload their weak point.

2) Increase power in the knee area.

I am a conventional puller but I am weak just off the floor - bar breaks off the ground and gets stuck at an inch or two high. So I love spending time in range, e.g., I will do a controlled negative, then stop for a bit right off the ground, then put the bar down or touch for the next rep.

To each his own.

-S-

I am a conventional puller but I am weak just off the floor - bar breaks off the ground and gets stuck at an inch or two high. So I love spending time in range, e.g., I will do a controlled negative, then stop for a bit right off the ground, then put the bar down or touch for the next rep.

Working The Weak Point

If you weak point is off the floor, performing the Deadlift from a Dead Stop will address that issue.

Also, Halting Deadlift, as Anna increased her strength off the floor, as you previously posted; working the weak point.

Paused Isometric Hold, as you do, work as well.

Kenny Croxdale

Paused Isometric Hold, as you do, work as well.

Yep, just did these an hour ago, but I pause on the ascent, not the descent. Here's the video. Ask @WxHerk -- I was almost enjoying hanging out there in the paused isometric hold!

@Trever, my regular deadlift sets look just like this, but without the paused hold off the floor. A controlled but mostly gravity drop, pause, reset, and lift again.

Absolutely!! I mentioned to Anna that she was spending a good bit of time "hanging out." It was pretty gosh/darn amazing!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom