all posts post new thread

Barbell Deadlift training percentages

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

JGP718

Level 4 Valued Member
hello all,

I am 29, 6’ and about 190lbs. I am relatively new to training the deadlift in a consistent manner. I tested my max deadlift today and pulled 285lbs and couldn’t lift my next attempt of 295lbs more than an inch off of the ground.

I have been training with kettlebells for some years and am quite happy with my strength for not really training the barbell deadlift. My question is I am torn between doing a PTTP plan for deadlifts and presses and doing the DDD along with S&S swings and TGUs. The DDD is very clearly laid out with the plan for my percentages and what to do. I looked quickly again through PTTP and only saw the numbers based off of 5RM??? How would I calculate that off of my 1RM?

Any recommendations or advice is appreciated! I’d love to get to a double body weight deadlift!

PTTP gives several training plan options. If you go that route, just start conservatively and figure out a cycling scheme for yourself.

If the DDD seems clearer to you, just do that. Or do one followed by the other.

-S-

Well you can test out your 5RM the same way you test your 1RM. Start doing sets of five until you can only do a set of four. The last complete set of five was your 5RM. A thing to note, especially with multiple rep maxes, is that one should have good technique on all five of the reps. Four good reps and one ugly rep doesn't count for a 5RM in this practice. Competition 1RMs are a different case, but even then you have rules to follow.

But with a long term plan like the PTTP you can take an estimated 5RM, something like 250-260lbs for example in your case, and go by it.

Both DDD and PTTP have worked well with people. You can't really go wrong with either one.

Kinda in the same boat, never trained DL before. I am doing "daily dose" since it is singles, I can concentrate on form with each one.

Prepare for the TSC

I believe there's a section in PTTP that suggests finding the training weight by doing increasing weight sets of five and going by feel. I don't remember the exact wording but I'm pretty sure it's not a hard 5RM but rather finding a set of five where you feel like you still have 2-3 reps in the tank.

If you are just starting deadlifts after kettlebell training, I imagine you would benefit from some coaching and/or form feedback from the helpful folks on here. You may be able to improve that 285 lift with some feedback.

DDD took my DL from 305lbs to 345 (likely a little higher but I botched the next attempt.). Not bad for feeling like I was barely Working hard in the sessions.

Like you, I had not been training the DL, and the 305 was just from kb swings. So I was due some beginner gains.

So DDD works and went really well with Rite of Passage.

Right now I'm doing PTTP but it's too early to say. It's more intense. I've linearly progressed to a set of 5 reps of 325lbs which felt harder than the whole 42+ DDD sessions combined. :)

------

My take on starting weights for PTTP is this: don't sweat it too much but err on the side of starting light. If you underestimate your 10 rep max, it will sort itself out pretty quickly. Adding 10 pounds each day will take you to your top end fairly quickly. Whether I started at 225 or 255 was just a few days difference.

Last edited:
My first DDD took me from 260 to 285, and I’m almost done with my second cycle aiming for 300 (215 is my daily lift). First time was alongside S&S, second time is alongside RoP. The program does not interfere with either. I pull every 2:00 without warmup, so it’s < 10 minutes and no sweat. I do a chin-up between each set for good measure.

My first DDD took me from 260 to 285, and I’m almost done with my second cycle aiming for 300 (215 is my daily lift). First time was alongside S&S, second time is alongside RoP. The program does not interfere with either. I pull every 2:00 without warmup, so it’s < 10 minutes and no sweat. I do a chin-up between each set for good measure.
Just curious did you do DDD and S&as in separate sessions or together?

Just curious did you do DDD and S&as in separate sessions or together?
Separate. And separate for RoP. I trained S&S in the evening, DDD a few hours earlier (upon arriving home from work). I train RoP in early morning, but DDD in early evening.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom