all posts post new thread

Barbell Deadlift training

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Deadlift93

First Post
Hello, how's everyone doing? I am new here, but have pursued this forum from time to time. I am not sure how it works, but was wondering if I could get a response from Pavel on a few things, as I am a fan of Power to the People.
I know he talks about the importance of low reps, but was interested in what he thought about higher rep training like that of the great powerlifter Don Blue who favoured sets in the 10-15 range and often off of a deficit as he felt this built more muscle mass/conditioning which would in turn help when you went to lower rep to "coordinate" that newly built muscle.
Also, I am a big fan of the old time strongmen such as Saxon, Hackenschmidt, Goerner, but have never been able to find information on how the great Canadian strongman Arthur Danurand trained. His feats of strength are exceptionally impressive and can't find anything. Any information would be very much appreciated.

@Deadlift93,

Welcome to the StrongFirst Forum.

Pavel has been offline for a while, working on a project.

PTTP is a wonderful resource, but Pavel has also written Beyond Bodybuilding and Power to the People Professional - both of these include many routines, and some of those feature higher rep ranges. I suspect that if you read these two books, your questions will be answered. Beyond Bodybuilding, in particular, addresses adding muscle while becoming as strong as you look.

The short answer to your question is that, as a general rule, doing 2-3 sets of 5 rather than a single set of 10-15 will allow you to use more weight, more safely, and therefore get stronger and bigger. Just keep the rest period between sets on the short side.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom