all posts post new thread

Barbell Deadlift Variation (Conventional, Sumo, Romanian, Duck) Question

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Jeff Cowan

Level 1 Valued Member
I am 46, never seriously injured, all things considered in very good shape. Many years ago, in high school, I deadlifted fairly regularly although cannot recall what type of rep or set scheme. About 4 years ago, I would also deadlift a few times a week in a PTTP template at my office gym. I also took a class with Marty Gallagher in Baltimore. Then life interceded and I could not deadlift for about 4 years. Alas, I never really lost much conditioning as I always worked out in this time with kettlebells but just had no access to a barbell.

Although I had the PTTP book and knew vaguely about different deadlift variations other than conventional like sumo, Romanian and duck, I never considered any style other than conventional; it was the only way I lifted in high school and more recently. I never even tried another style until recently.

In the past few months, I purchased a barbell and some weights, and bought "Deadlift Dynamite" and "PTTP Professional" and have read parts of them. Before I stopped deadlifting about 4 years ago, I was closing in on deadlifting twice my bodyweight @175 lbs in conventional style.

I decided to start a cycle lifting Sumo and started really light at 135 and then added 10 lbs a workout for 10 workouts over a period of about a month. I also did some presses and generally iifted 2-3 times a week, always in a PTTP template. Although the frequency was a bit low for PTTP, my life as a single father and professional sometimes does not afford me the ability to work out more than 2-3 times a week.

So I understand that people competing have to go with the deadlift style that lets them lift the most. Andy Bolton mentions that he lacks the flexibility for Sumo so lifts conventional. I get that priority but that is not me. I want to get stronger and learn about myself and stay injury free.

My question though is if not competing, do people regularly switch between different styles for a cycle? I could see the benefit in switching things up. On the other hand, I've been deadlifting conventional for so long that towards the end of my cycle lifting Sumo, it started to feel strange when the weights got a bit heavy and I had to fight my instinct to switch to conventional. I also wonder if switching around between different styles might open oneself up to injury. Any insights appreciated.

My question though is if not competing, do people regularly switch between different styles for a cycle?
Yes, absolutely. I'm currently doing just that. If you wish to deadlift all year long and compete twice a year, then you might do your competition style in the 3 months before each meet, and the other style in the other periods. I'm doing sumo now but will pull convention sometime next year in a meet.

-S-

I pull my heavy deads sumo and anything 60% or less conventional.. But that's just me

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom