all posts post new thread

Barbell Deadlift volume for record

• Thread starter Deleted member 5559
  • Start date
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Deleted member 5559

I just read this article today of an interview with Eddie Hall. He talks about doing 3x10 @ 75% once per week every other week. That seems like a long set but it obviously works.

Hello,

3x10 @ 75%
If he tells he does, no doubt that is true. But to me, it seems huge. One set of 10 is already challenging. So 3 sets...:eek:

No matter the move, I would totaly be unable to do 10 reps @75%. Maybe be I would using singles and half a day !

He also has a huge diet plan:
Eat Like Eddie Hall | Protein Dynamix Academy
10,000 calories a day! Could you eat like Eddie Hall, Britain's Strongest Man?
A day in the life of Eddie Hall, Britain's Strongest Man

Kind regards,

Pet'

I do high rep sets of heavy compound barbell lifts. I will use rest pause to go near failure. Slow reps are ok, grinding is not.

It's an Oldtime and Modern Strongman way to train. Build muscle with high reps, and strengthen the ligaments and tendons, and make the muscle denser with low reps. You also build strength stamina with high rep sets. They used to be called Death sets, now we call it AMRAP.

High reps have a place, especially for the shoulders because they are such a small muscle group.

I have heard of 1x15 reps in the dead. I've done them and can't say they're bad. But I can't say they're great either.

There has been some discussion on the board about strengthening the grip. A set of 15 definitely works the grip. : )

Edit: Having said that, I generally don't recommend high reps in exercises that I describe as "technical". But many have used high rep squats and I think the squat when done correctly is pretty technical. So, they are most likely for someone who has a bit of experience with the dead.

Hello,

I guess high rep sets are also useful to him because they make a good conditioning exercise.

Kind regards,

Pet'

1 x 15 or 20 in the DL is one thing; 1 x 10 @ 75% 1RM is another. I could probably rep out a 65% lift for 20 reps, but 75% would be much more of a challenge.

-S-

Hello,

May be this is not 75% of 1RM, but 90% of 1RM (on a 5/3/1 fashion) ?
If so, it is 10 reps @67,5%

Doing that allows to progress a little faster while avoiding excessive CNS fatigue (above all for guys like him which spend their time training).

Kind regards,

Pet'

ROTK specifies 2x20 with press weight.

Speaking of which, I have been meaning to ask: I have read somewhere that Pavel designed ROTK specifically for those who only have access to KBs, is that the case? If it was, any idea how that program would be altered if one had access to both KBs and barbells?

@Thomas Scott, press weight is much lighter than deadlift weight for most of us. My double kb press weight isn't even half of what I warm up with.

I wouldn't mess with altering ROTK. If you want both strength and hypertrophy, find your program in Beyond Bodybuilding or PTTP Professional, or take a simple approach and do the Bear protocol from PTTP with bench press and deadlift.

-S-

I just finished a 4 week block that built up to a set of 10 reps with a back off of 5 reps, both at 80%. This seemed to be a good volume that did not affect any other training. The Bear seems intriguing but I like to keep to 2 sets of DL.

The insane part is that somebody with a 500 kg deadlift does 75 % for three sets of ten. Now don't make the mistake to compare your 75 % to his. Even though it is the same percentage from the 1RM his is a different level.

Hello,

In that case, what is to be compared is the relative strength (your max and his max, your weight and his weight). The relative effort is interesting.
Something @Steve Freides recently taught me : Wilks Point

Kind regards,

Pet'

can't open the thread to see what it states but someone mapped out hos workloads off of what he posted on the strength asylum FB page leading up to his 500kg deadlift.

it was pretty much alternating between a linear progression with decreasing reps on one week alternated with the volume work you've stated above.

seems somewhat sensible to me as considering the loads he lifts doing mid 400kg deads every week would soon wreck his body.

doing sets of ten at 75% would seem about right for those who are customed to higher reps. When I used to bodybuild doing 10+ with80-85% would be quite common place

Would be interesting to know, on what the 75% is based of. On his planned max (500kg) he trained for?, on a max he pulled without straps? on a solid max he could pull quite frequently?

and as @Marlon Leon stated, Eddie Hall pulls very very near at his (genetic) limit. It is not another level, but many...

Marty Galagher is a proponent of 3x10 in everything also until preparing for a meet and linearly reducing volume and increasing load. I think it is interesting to see the anti-thesis to low-rep high-frequency with this high-rep low-frequency method.

think when they did the calculation it was off his raw max (still 450) not his 500 equipped max

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom