all posts post new thread

Barbell Deadlift Volume

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

bulldog

First Post
I've read a lot about deadlifts, some say heavy once a week others say twice. I generally do my heavy deadlifts something like 4 sets/3 reps or 3 sets/5 reps, etc. It's not a lot of volume, should I do this twice a week? I also do farmers carry's with a trap bar, so I deadlift it off the ground each time I walk.

Thanks.

Out of context, it’s not a question that really has an answer. There are reputable programs that have deadlifting up to five days a week and others only deadlift twice a month. Your level of advancement matters and whether or not you also squat makes a difference. If you share more about your background, goals, and other training, you will get better help.

@bulldog, as @Gregor Samsa says, we need a context. The once-a-week DL crew are the people who practice powerlifting style, low-bar back squats. That lift is very much a hip hinge and has a lot of carryover to the deadlift.

And if we haven't said so already, welcome to the StrongFirst forum.

-S-

Out of context, it’s not a question that really has an answer. There are reputable programs that have deadlifting up to five days a week and others only deadlift twice a month. Your level of advancement matters and whether or not you also squat makes a difference. If you share more about your background, goals, and other training, you will get better help.

My goals are strength and size, I deadlift mostly with a trap bar current 1rm is around 425lbs. I don't currently squat. I've been doing the farmers carry's twice a week.

If you deadlift with a trap bar, you're doing a trap bar deadlift, not a deadlift. In your place, I think I'd look for trap bar DL programs - it's a different enough lift. But if you're not also squatting, then you should be able to do it twice or more per week, depending on volume and intensity. Twice a week should work, one day heavier and one day lighter.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom