all posts post new thread

Barbell Deadlift. What is the best set-reps scheme for me?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

User 4484

Right now I combine S&S with running. I want to complete the Simple-goal, but I also have a half marathon and a ultra marathon planned for the spring/summer.

I do S&S 2-3 times/week. Same with the running.

I have not have time or the possibility to attend to the gym for a couple of months, but I am now and since I have done two or three sessions with deadlifting and it really feels great! During these sessions I have deadlifted 5x5 super set with pull-ups. After that goblets 5x5 super set with push-ups. I really like this whole body training without killing your self and the deadlifts have made me feel much stronger. My first question is; right now I have plans on following Pavels 3-5 method (The Original 3 to 5 Method for Maximal Gains in Very Little Time: A Fitness article )
But I have heard much about his PttP 2x5 as well. Which progression model do you guys think benefits me the most regarding my goals?

Second and with my goals in mind. Do you think I should combine the deadlifting with a session of S&S instead of the above exercises?

Which progression model do you guys think benefits me the most regarding my goals?

First of all you need to figure out which goal is your nr. 1 priority and work on that. Is it the simple goal? Prioritize S&S. Is it the half marathon? Prioritize your runnning.

First of all you need to figure out which goal is your nr. 1 priority and work on that. Is it the simple goal? Prioritize S&S. Is it the half marathon? Prioritize your runnning.

You are right about that I can't serve two masters at the same time. By running 2-3 times/week I know running those events won't be much of a problem, but I love running. As for S&S I need more practice to complete the Simple-goal in a satisfying way.

Its easy to say, do either this or that. But for me, as I don't have all the time in the world I´ am asking for advice in two matters to help me find the golden road in between.

@Stefan Olsson, PTTP is an Easy Strength approach. It's designed for lifting every day or almost every day but, unlike S & S it's not designed to be put on the back burner and simply done less often. Especially for someone new to deadlifting and not also doing barbell squats, training the DL often is usually best.

I would start with figuring out a regular training schedule for your deadlifts - after that, we can talk about what might work best on that schedule. You'll note that on PTTP you do about 200 reps in a month: 10 reps per day, 5 days per week, 4 weeks in a month. (Best to plan training in 4-week and not calendar month-long blocks, anyway.) Doing 25 reps per day (5x5), 2 days per week gets you to the same total (the 3-5 plan), as does doing 15 reps per day, 3 days per week. For you and your goals, keep the deadlifts non-taxing so that you don't feel they adversely effect your running.

-S-

@Stefan Olsson, PTTP is an Easy Strength approach. It's designed for lifting every day or almost every day but, unlike S & S it's not designed to be put on the back burner and simply done less often. Especially for someone new to deadlifting and not also doing barbell squats, training the DL often is usually best.

I would start with figuring out a regular training schedule for your deadlifts - after that, we can talk about what might work best on that schedule. You'll note that on PTTP you do about 200 reps in a month: 10 reps per day, 5 days per week, 4 weeks in a month. (Best to plan training in 4-week and not calendar month-long blocks, anyway.) Doing 25 reps per day (5x5), 2 days per week gets you to the same total (the 3-5 plan), as does doing 15 reps per day, 3 days per week. For you and your goals, keep the deadlifts non-taxing so that you don't feel they adversely effect your running.

-S-

Thank you Steve!

I know that PttP is a daily routine. I just thought that the ramping up to a 2x5 would might be sufficient for me (my goals) without taxing the body? The 5x5 straight sets work great now, but I know that in a near future those sessions will be grueling and have and negative impact on both S&S and my running.

I can deadlift once (sometimes two) per week, on Saturdays. What approach do you think will give me best bang for the buck in this case?

Edit: and would you suggest me doing S&S on saturdays with the deadlift, that would make for three S&S sessions per week. Or should I do what I wrote in my first post? When I think about it, three S&S sessions with one deadlift session sounds quite good?

Hey,

If you recover quite fast, you can do either two sessions (2 sets of 5 reps, with your 5RM and perfect technique - this means you do 10 reps per session) or a heavy session (like the one described above) and a light one (3 sets of 5 or 6).

Kind regards,

Pet'

If you're serious about your other pursuits, I'd go the Easy Strength way. Two times a week of lifting is fine. Aim for ten reps a time, with sets of 2-3 or heavy singles.

@Stefan Olsson, it's important that your upcoming races remain your priority, so do what strength training you can manage and be happy with that. Many a competitive outdoor athlete uses the winter to focus on strength and then reduces strength training to nothing or nearly nothing during their competitive season; this is a sound approach for you as well.

You're asking about deadlifting, and about S&S, and it's already too many variables, IMHO. I would see what approach you feel gives you the most bang for your buck but I don't think I would do both things. Two lifts is plenty for you, although there's nothing wrong with, e.g., doing getups and deadlifts. The question is whether you want a ballistic lift in your training or not - if yes, then use swings but not deadlift. For your second lift, you could use the getup or any one-arm, overhead lift, e.g., the military or bent press. You could, e.g., do PTTP by the book, with barbell deadlift and barbell side press. Adding a third lift, pullups, is OK, but I wouldn't do more than that.

"Bang" for your buck here needs to be "bang" that positively effects your running, not your deadlift max. The time for working on your DL max is during your non-competitive season. But - there's always a "but" - if your DL max is soft, e.g., less than double bw, then your running might improve if you put a little more emphasis on the DL. It's this level of detail where I think one should have a third party advising you.

-S-

Edit:

Thank you all for you information and different ways tackle my question!

Just to clarify. I do not compete in running, nor do I strive to deadlift crazy amount of weight. I run for fun by feel.

I think I´ve got enough answers to continue :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom