all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Deadlifting for pull-ups

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

User 7569

has anyone experienced a compliment between the 2?

I've read Karen Smith say that healthy deadlifts are good for pullups

Geoff Neupert says they are complimentary exercises in Strength Shortcuts

yet I've always thought they are too much of the same thing.. i wonder why

During my TSC training I relied on Swings and Snatches for the bulk of my training with GTG pull-ups. next time around ill be doing more deads (only got in like 3 sessions before the event, and 2 were learning how to do it). I know I would have performed better in all events if deads were a bigger part of my training.

Not to offend you but: Pull-ups are good for pull-ups.
@Martin Joe, there's nothing wrong with the original question - deadlifts are good for pullups. Many people can make significant improvements in their pullups without much, if any, pullup training, and deadlifts can be a part of that. I don't think deadlifts are likely to take someone's bw-only pullup numbers from 12 to 22, but they did take mine from 2 to 12.

-S-

It could work both ways, but I haven't heard of it much in the other direction. The deadlift so rewards total body tension, and so uses the lats, and so uses the abs - which are critical in pullups - that the reward is better pullups. But if heavy pullups improves lat and ab strength, then it seems possible to me that it would work in the other direction as well. We do know that many excellent deadlifters consider pullups as necessary assistance work.

-S-

Thanks for the input everyone. Although I am not currently dead lifting I am glad to hear about the crossover effect..

I have experienced great carryover from my deadlift training to my pull-ups. When I added deadlifting into my Iron Maiden training it gave me the boost I needed to improve my tension and grip strength. I trained deadlifts exclusively with double overhand grip, which helped me to crush the pullup bar. I kept my pullup weights relatively light during the last few months of training (nothing heavier than 16kg) and increased my deadlift weight before I was successfully able to pullup with 24kg. As my deadlift volume has gone up (while still having deload weeks), my pull-ups have gone up in volume and weights.

I know you asked about deadlift, but I just found that weighted pull-ups helped my bench press immensely. My 1RM on bench jumped about 30lbs after an intense pull-up program over 2 months. I was doing weighted pull-ups with up to a 32Kg kettlebell, but mostly higher volume with 12-16Kg.

They can help each other, just don't do them back to back in a circuit or they will affect each other. :) The fatigue will set in faster.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom