all posts post new thread

Deadlifts are not a movement, they are a way of life - Daily Dose Deadlift

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Thursday, 5/14

Weight - UNK

Warmup - Barbell complex with empty bar (10 reps each of barbell row, standing press, and Romanian deadlift; 3 rounds)

Main Movement - Deadlift (oly shoes, no belt)
  • 135x5x3 sets
  • 225x3
  • 295x2
  • 365x1x3 sets

Accessory Work - NONE

Notes - A very good session on this day. Weights moved pretty effortlessly despite having some lingering fatigue/soreness in my legs from the day before (thinking it's from the 300m run as I have not pushed that pace/distance in some time). While things moved very well, I opted for a very short session today for a few reasons. One, I wanted to have a good session and end on a high note with positive feelings about training. Two, my three year old was being a terror inside (I could hear him over the fan and music) so I decided to head back inside and help relieve my wife. Three, I know I have some heavier work coming up in a few days so I am trying to be mindful of that.

Friday, 5/15

Weight - UNK

Warmup - Barbell complex with empty bar (10 reps each of barbell row, standing press, and Romanian deadlift; 3 rounds)

Main Movement - .75” Block Deadlift (flat shoes, no belt)
  • 135x5x3 sets
  • 225x3
  • 295x2
  • 365x1x3 sets

Accessory Work -
  • Clapping Pushups; 1 set of 3 reps after each set of deadlifts, pause at the bottom and explode up.

Notes - Another late day session which was quite warm in the garage. I did some explosive pushups in between each deadlift set to get some easy upper body work in. Work is quite stressful so I am very grateful for the daily training; it provides a nice relief and even though I would rather be training early in the mornings, hopping into the garage for a quick session after work I know positively has impacts on other aspects of my life.

Saturday, 5/16

Weight - UNK

Main Movement - Deadlift (flat shoes, no belt)
  • 135x5x3 sets
  • 225x3
  • 295x2
  • 365x1x3 sets

Accessory Work - NONE

Notes - I trained a bit earlier in the day (more around lunch time) as I work the typical M-F 8a-5p schedule. I opted to go with a comp setup to drill movement patterns in prep for tomorrow's heavier day. No accessory work on this day to try and keep fatigue low.

Sunday, 5/17

Weight - UNK

Main Movement - Deadlift
  • 135x5x3 sets
  • 225x3
  • 295x2
  • 355x1
  • 405x1x3 sets

Accessory Work -
  • Pushups; 1 set of 5 reps after each set of deadlifts, pause at the bottom and pause at the top

Notes - The way the program works out numbers wise, week 4 should be 400lbs, week 5 should be 425lbs, and week 6 should be 450lbs. But, with the 1RM being used set relatively low for me anyways, I bumped weeks 4-6 by 5lbs each as weeks 4 and 6 will be easier to load. Things moved good today but not great and not how I was hoping. It didn't seem to be a fatigue or soreness issue; technique was dialed in and positioning was good, the weights just did not move as I was hoping with respect to speed. I did some pushups after each set and followed up the strength session with a hard run.

Monday, 5/18

Weight - UNK

Main Movement - Deadlift (Oly shoes, no belt)
  • 135x5x3 sets
  • 225x3
  • 295x2
  • 365x1x4 sets

Accessory Work -
  • Planks; "5 sets" of 15 sec holds, 45 sec rests

Notes - Pulls felt pretty good today despite yesterday being a bit less than ideal. I have had my garage set up for quite a while but I finally gor around to finishing the platform just recently; I had the rubber mats just laying on plywood and carpet over the floor (which this set up, by the way, combined with bumper plates, is amazing for sound and impact dampening). Well, every time I pull, I try to visualize grabbing the floor with my heel, big toe, and little toe, and I try to develop a lot of tension in my posterior chain which would result in the mats sliding apart ever so slightly each rep. It was very minor and by the end of the session, the gap between mats would only be about 1" but I took the time to use some gorilla glue and screws to permanently put everything together.

Tuesday, 5/19

Weight - UNK

Main Movement - .75" Deficit Deadlift (flat shoes, no belt)
  • 135x5x3 sets
  • 225x3
  • 295x2
  • 365x1x4 sets

Accessory Work - NONE

Notes - A good but not great session on this day. It was fun though as my 3 year old hung out in the garage while I trained. My wife has a small set of rubber coated dumbbells so I gave him a few to play with; in between each of my sets of pulls, he would do some one arm snatches with the dumbbell and when he was done, he would pretend to flex and say he's strong like Hulk. While my work was just a pretty typical day, it was a lot of fun sharing the space with him and seeing him have a bit of fun out there as it keeps things in perspective.

Wednesday, 5/20

Weight - UNK

• 135x5x3 sets
  • 225x3
  • 295x2
  • 365x1x4 sets

Accessory Work -
  • Pushups; sets of 10 after each set of deadlifts

Notes - Today felt pretty good so I did a lot of pushups in between sets; by the end of the session, my upper body was starting to fatigue a bit. I am starting to see more and more that pulling in an elevated heel might be the way for me to go based on how I am feeling and the positions I am getting into. While I do still have a few more weeks of pulling daily, I am starting to think about next steps after this program is complete. It's still early in the planning phases but I have a few ideas in mind. More to come on that.

Thursday, 5/21

Weight - UNK

Main Movement - .75" Block Deadlift (flat shoes, no belt)
  • 135x5x3 sets
  • 225x3
  • 295x2
  • 365x1x4 sets

Accessory Work -
  • Clapping Pushups; 1 set of 3 reps after each set of deadlifts, pause at the bottom and explode up.

Notes - Work stress is getting higher by the day so the session this afternoon was very much welcomed. I was a little sore in the upper body from all of the pushups yesterday but still did some explosive work in between deadlift sets as I find that, when sore, the best thing for me is to try and move a bit and work through it vs. waiting it out. Deadlifts moved ok again; it seems like I am rather consistently stringing together ok or good sessions with not many great sessions or poor sessions, but I think that is how training is supposed to go - it's about constantly chipping away and making sure that you stay the course through the not-so-flashy days.

Friday, 5/22

Weight - UNK

• 135x5x3 sets
  • 225x3
  • 295x2
  • 365x1x4 sets

Accessory Work -
  • Barbell Rows superset with Pushups - 135lbs on the rows, feet elevated on one plate; 5 sets of 10 reps each

Notes - A very good training day this day and a bit different accessory work that I have been doing. I decided to get some "volume" and reps done for my upper body which felt great at the time but I am going to need to step back and evaluate the reason for adding it other than "feeling great". The garage gym is nice and toasty at this point and will be through October I am guessing but I would rather train in the heat than cold if I have a choice.

Saturday, 5/23

Weight - UNK

• 135x5x3 sets
  • 225x3
  • 295x2
  • 365x1x4 sets

Accessory Work - NONE

Notes - A bit earlier in the day so only about 14 hours or so between sessions vs. a normal 24. I kept this one short to make sure I am ready for tomorrow's heavy day. Pulls felt good but not great on this day; it could be the shorter turn around between sessions, the extra volume from the accessory work yesterday, or the shoe choice.

Sunday, 5/24

Weight - UNK

Main Movement - Deadlift
  • 135x5x3 sets
  • 225x3
  • 295x2
  • 355x1
  • 405x1
  • 430x1x5 sets

Accessory Work -
  • Pushups; 1 set of 5 reps after each set of deadlifts, pause at the bottom and pause at the top

Notes - Pulls felt good today so I did a full 5 singles at the top weight. By the 5th single, speed I could tell was down a little bit but positioning was good and the weight didn't feel heavy per se, just was not quite as "snappy" as the first single. The upcoming week, despite being a short work week with the holiday (Memorial Day), is already shaping up to be busy so I am very much looking forward to daily training, even if brief, as a way to decompress.

Monday, 5/25

Weight - UNK

• 135x5x3 sets
  • 225x3
  • 295x2
  • 365x1x5 sets

Accessory Work -
  • Planks; "5 sets" of 15 sec holds, 45 sec rests

Notes - Pulled earlier in the morning again as I did not have to work today. Pulls did not feel all that great on this day but I could tell there was some soreness in my hamstrings (likely from yesterday). Body composition is changing slightly; I haven't weighed in but have been tracking food, making sure I am eating plenty of protein, and keeping multi-ingredient foods to a minimum.

Tuesday, 5/26

Weight - UNK

Main Movement - .75" Deficit Deadlift (flat shoes, no belt)
  • 135x5x3 sets
  • 225x3
  • 295x2
  • 365x1x5 sets

Accessory Work - NONE

Notes - A very busy and stressful day at work but still got it done afterwards anyways. We are looking at near record highs this week (temp wise) so I end up getting a good sweat going just from the warmup barbell complex. Not a whole lot to report on with this day; just putting in the work every day.

Wednesday, 5/27

Weight - UNK

• 135x5x3 sets
  • 225x3
  • 295x2
  • 365x1x5 sets

Accessory Work -
  • Pushups; sets of 10 after each set of deadlifts

Notes - A bit more voluminous session today; 5 pulls at the top weight, lots of pushups. I had the written exam this morning and ended up scoring a 96 so I am on to the next phase. From what we were told, all fitness testing will be done by the end of the week (I took mine early and passed) and we will be provided with rank order for hiring by the second week of June. The department gives 5 preference points to vets and 10 to disabled vets; I am neither but with the written exam score, I am pretty confident I will be ranked high enough to be in the first group of people called for backgrounds, polygraphs, psych, etc. We were also told that all hiring and recruiting is on hold temporarily except for the position I posted for and, instead of being an average of 4-6 months between written exam and first day of the academy, they are looking at 6-8 weeks as its an "all hands on deck" effort to get roughly 50 recruits into the academy.

Thursday, 5/28

Weight - UNK

Main Movement - .75" Block Deadlift (flat shoes, no belt)
  • 135x5x3 sets
  • 225x3
  • 295x2
  • 365x1x5 sets

Accessory Work -

Notes - A busy work day but the session went well. I'm noting more and more I am actually stronger from a slight deficit than a slight block so these didn't move great but I know that training with a little bit varied range of motion and movement pattern will build better strength, resiliency, etc. overall than just doing the same pattern every single day, esp on barbell lifts that are not all that dynamic in nature. Pushups felt decent despite doing a ton yesterday; I am liking following a more volume heavy day with an explosive day.

Friday, 5/29

Weight - UNK

• 135x5x3 sets
  • 225x3
  • 295x2
  • 365x1x5 sets

Accessory Work -
  • Planks - 5 "sets" of 15 sec holds, 45 sec rests, after deadlifts

Notes - Pulls felt pretty good overall this afternoon. A long and very stressful week at work, especially Friday, so being able to get some training in afterwards to decompress before switching from "boss" mode at work to "dad" mode at home is nice. I've been keeping a change of clothes out in the garage so when I get home from work, a lot of times I go into the garage and train before even going inside. This has been working out nicely.

Saturday, 5/30

Weight - UNK

• 135x5x3 sets
  • 225x3
  • 295x2
  • 365x1x5 sets

Accessory Work - NONE

Notes - Trained early in the morning as my wife and I had a "mom and dad" day out while my mother in law watched the kids. All we ended up doing was going out for coffee and grocery shopping at a few places but the fact we could take our time and not have the stress of having two little ones with us was refreshing. We found a little coffee shop not too far from our house as well which is locally owned, has some great brew, and was reasonably priced compared to the typical Starbucks that is all over our city.

Sunday, 5/31

Weight - UNK

Main Movement - Deadlift
  • 135x5x3 sets
  • 225x3
  • 295x2
  • 355x1
  • 405x1
  • 455x1x5 sets

Accessory Work - NONE

Notes - Today's sessions felt great! I trained a bit earlier in the morning on an empty stomach but was properly hydrated and had some caffeine (coffee) prior. 455lbs finally felt like it used to before my layoff from training. The first 3 singles felt great and smooth; not the fastest pulls obviously with weight going up but they all felt on point. The 4th and 5th started to slow a bit but none got grindy and positioning was on point. I am excited for the upcoming week to hit a few singles at 365 most days (M-W or M-Th), then testing come Fri-Sun depending on when I feel best.

Monday, 6/1

Weight - UNK

• 135x5x3 sets
  • 225x3
  • 295x2
  • 365x1x3 sets

Accessory Work - NONE

Notes - Upper back and hamstrings were a bit sore on this day but I am not surprised after hitting 5 singles at a weight heavier than I have touched in a few months. Overall, body is feeling good and it's nice to start getting some strength back. The more and more I think about what is next, I am leaning on keeping high frequency pulling in the mix with some hill sprint work and lower heart rate endurance work. I am also looking into adding one other barbell lift into the mix or a pushup program but more to come on that.

Tuesday, 6/2

Weight - UNK

• 135x5x3 sets
  • 225x3
  • 295x2
  • 365x1x3 sets

Accessory Work -
  • Pushups - Sets of 5 after each deadlift set; feet elevated about 10", pause at both floor and at top.

Notes - Soreness is about gone from Sunday's session. Deadlifts were moving pretty good on this day but not quite where I want the speed in order to push forward with a "max" attempt so it's still going to be a few days. I am planning on taking tomorrow off, training Thursday and gauging from there how the rest of the week is going to shake out.

Wednesday, 6/3

Weight - UNK

Warmup - Barbell complex with empty bar (10 reps each of barbell row, standing press, and Romanian deadlift; 5 rounds)

Notes - I wasn't planning on training per se, but I thought it would be a good idea to hop into the garage for 15 mins or so and go through some rounds of my normal warmup just to move a bit. I received my rank order from the physical fitness and written testing I've been involved in over the last several weeks - #5 out of 200+ applicants (from what I was told). Without having any preference points given to me, I am very happy with this and am pretty confident it means I will be in the first round of calls.

Thursday, 6/4

Weight - UNK

• 135x5x3 sets
  • 225x3
  • 295x2
  • 365x1x3 sets

Accessory Work - NONE

Notes - I thought today might be the day that I push for a "max" single but 365lbs did not exactly move how I waned it to so I decided to just hit a few singles to work on positioning and call it a day. I will take tomorrow off and go for it on Saturday.

Friday, 6/5

Weight - UNK

Warmup - Barbell complex with empty bar (10 reps each of barbell row, standing press, and Romanian deadlift; 5 rounds)

Notes - Hopped in the garage on this day to get some movement in and make sure I am feeling good all the way around. I am just about set on my next "phase" of training and what it will look like but need to test my deadlift "max" to finalize some things. I have the general structure laid out using Excel; I just need to plug in the numbers so it calculates out the next block.

Saturday, 6/6 - THE DAY

Weight - UNK

• 135x5x3 sets
  • 225x3
  • 295x2
  • 355x1
  • 405x1
  • 455x1
  • 500x1
  • 530x1

Accessory Work -
  • Ab Wheel Rollouts - 5 sets of 10 reps

Notes - Overall, very happy with the last 6-7 weeks of training. While 530lbs is not within striking distance of all-time numbers, it marks considerable progress in a short period of time. I based all of my training on an estimated 1RM of 485lbs based on how my first few days back to strength training went after a hiatus. 500lbs moved well and I contemplated jumping to 545 or 550 but was not 100% sure it would be there on the day so played it a bit more conservative. Looking at how 530lbs moved, it was the right call as I might have had 5-10lbs more in me but that's about it. I also spent the morning cleaning up my garage in advance of some work we are having done and while I knew I had an ab wheel somewhere, I just found it after not seeing it for months so did that for some accessory work after; I forgot how much this can actually work the core when done properly. It also gives me a bit of an idea when it comes to another potential goal or target and that is to be able to hit reps from the standing position vs. kneeling position.

Sunday, 6/7

Weight - UNK

Notes - Pretty sore overall so I got in for a quick 15 mins movement session just to get feeling a bit limber. My posterior chain was feeling it a bit but my core is very sore, likely from the reintroduction to ab wheel rollouts. As I look back on what I think went well overall and what I want to or need to work on, I have a few things that come to mind.

1. Relatively frequent deadlifting works really well for me. I've played with sub-max pulling with a bit more volume (this past block) and a more "Bulgarian" approach where I work up to a daily heavy single, both with success. I don't see myself training deadlifts any less than 3x a week going forward; 3x a week would be on the lower end of the spectrum so volume of those sessions would be greater than if I trained more frequently.
  2. I would like to work up to standing ab wheel rollouts so I will be working on building core strength through this movement.
  3. Because I don't have access to much equipment right now besides my barbell and plates and would like to do a little upper body work, I will put together some kind of pushup program as well. This movement is emphasized (along with others) during the academy so this will be good prep.
  4. Endurance related work will not be taking a seat on the back burner; I want to push this as well so will be following a more 80/20 approach with respect to running (maybe even more easy). Lots of easier stuff (with some strides at the end; I live on a street with a slightly uphill straight section of about 200 meters) and some harder interval efforts thrown in.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom