all posts post new thread

Barbell Deadlifts as General Physical Preparation - How?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
BroMo, you don't have to do a disclaimer, the forum is a place to discuss and argue, and as long as it doesn't get malignant confrontation as a debate is a good thing.

I disagree with you in regards to specificity. Specific exercise is the one that imitates part of the sport activity. For rugby players, for example, sprint is specific, as is pushing/pulling the sled, while squat, deadlift and long runs (and swings) are general.

Re pushups - I think they are quite good as part of GPP assessment. Anybody who can crank 50 pushups is unlikely to be unfit, whatever is meant.

As you very well know you don't necessarily gain weight with strength training. Moreover, I will argue that weight gain will be offset by increased strength.

I get your point in regards to "GPP doesn't exist". I think it does exist though, but is defined in a broad sense. Physical qualities are universal. There are quite a few examples when athletes achieved elite level in some sport, then moved to another one, often very different, and achieved elite level there as well. I believe this is because of general physical and mental qualities, which are pretty universal. I am a case study for this: I am a wimp and do equally miserably at every sport :rolleyes:

Can you give examples when getting stronger can do harm?

Maybe not harm, but Eddie Hall who holds the world record deadlift, can't even tie his shoes. There is a good documentary on Strongman competitions on Netflix, it illustrates clearly, "the cost of adaptation."

Just realized that I was using GPP wrong according to the original definition thanks to your post. The original meaning was exercise not sport specific as the foundation for more specific training. However, I think it often used here and other places to mean exercise for general health without specific competitive sport goals, which is the way I have been using it.

I'm a little confused with some of the uses of the terms GPP and SPP.

Maybe someone can explain it better but my understanding has been the fact that exercises like swings and deadlifts and squats carry over to many activities is the exact reason they could be considered GPP. SPP would be very specific to a certain activity and not as useful in other activities, things like a climber developing the type of grip strength used in climbing, or a martial artist developing hip flexor strength to better chamber kicks.

Based on that understanding, it seems most people only really need GPP unless they have a specific quality they're trying to develop to help with an aspect of a specific activity.

exercises like swings and deadlifts and squats carry over to many activities is the exact reason they could be considered GPP.
I would consider the intention of carryover as specific.
it seems most people only really need GPP unless they have a specific quality they're trying to develop to help with an aspect of a specific activity.
Getting back to the original question of the thread, are heavy singles GPP or light sets of 15 considered GPP? If able to choose one over the other for whatever reason (ie, carryover), its specific to me.

Guardian7, we can definitely find lots of examples of disabled elite athletes. I, on the other hand, am talking about the average joe. The majority of people around me will seriously benefit from getting stronger.

BroMo, we can get into the philosophical debates, but I think you are tweaking definitions somewhat unnecessarily. GPP is what it is, General Preparedness. Basic lifts, KB stuff, jogging, swimming etc., done for purpose other than getting results in any of the above examples. So if I go for a jog in order to improve my endurance in BJJ it is GPP. If I deadlift in order to get stronger for BJJ it's still GPP. On the other hand, if I drill techniques or grapple at certain intensity - it is specific to the sport.

S&S is by definition GPP, even if it is the only activity you ever do. If you achieve certain standard you are likely to be quite strong, which will or may transfer to many there activities.

As i understand it GPP simply means that you are training general physical qualities like strength and endurance. It doesn't mean that you are trying to train multiple physical qualities at the same time.

So jogging can be GPP because it trains your aerobic system. Deadlifts for 3-5 reps can be GPP because they make you stronger. Mixed modality training can be GPP. etc, etc.

Generally, I think that any discussion specifically of the general adaptations that may or may not be specific to general athletic performance needs to specifically address generalities that can be usefully generated to describe specific adaptations a generalist can focus on as the specific required adaptations coagulate to create a generalized approach.

Russian research clearly demonstrates this.

Strength, speed and endurance are at the bottom of the sport pyramid, according to Mel Siff. For most of us heavier deadlift will transfer to the ability to carry a heavy groceries bag, and the ability to run couple of miles - without gasping for air - to overall wellbeing and probably somewhat lower cardiac risk. For these training for a specific sport there will be some transfer.

The trick is to choose volume and intensity of GPP, so that it does not interfere with the recovery and performance in the main sport. In that respect Easy Strength by Pavel and Dan John was a revelation to me.

Well, our bodies are springs that can either push outwards or grasp and pull inwards, so if you get strong at full body movements for both you'll be able to transfer these two strengths to everything else in life and sport.

I've come to decide within my own philosophical lense that sport is not optional, it is necessary, and thus GPP is necessary to support it, and as such there are several effective "flavours" of the full (or nearly full) body push and pull which all achieve similar results in sport.

For example, I've been doing Reload now for a month with no S&S at all. Overall I'd rate the effect on my judo as quite similar although we could split hairs and point to some differences in how my strength and endurance feel. In any case, I'm still strong at a full body push and a full body pull, and as for other movements found in judo, they are pretty much just angular variants of each.

To compare, the TGU hits more pushing angles than the military barbell press but it isn't as heavy, and the swing is using faster twitch muscles than the deadlift and is a more violent movement, but at the end of the day with either program I'm getting stronger or maintaining strength at pretty similar movements - a big push and a big pull - which transfer to everything else either perfectly or on a bit of an angle.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom