all posts post new thread

Kettlebell deadlifts during ROP

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

justin84

Level 2 Valued Member
In ETK, Pavel mentions doing PTTP deadlifts on variety days. I was wondering if anyone did this and what your experiences where. I am milking the ROP all I can even though I think I could pass the test but I like the program but would like to get into TSC specific training in the near future. Thanks in advance.

Justin

I would like to know thoughts on this as well. I am currently doing ROP and running a concurrent squat cycle based on Nick Hortons 21 Day squat challenge. Basically you alternate between the back squat and front squat, 3xback squat, 2x front per week. I have included the zercher to replace the front squat for a few weeks. The scheme is to work to a heavy single, drop 30%, do triples until you get to a weight you can no longer hit for 3, drop 10-25% and do 2x5 reps. If you are tired just work to the heavy single. Then I move on to the ROP. I have been doing this for 5 weeks. I am currently on to my first week with the 32kg bell after finishing the 24kb. I am liking this and have thought about changing up with the deadlift, like the PTTP prescription, wonder what the experts think about the volume/frequency? Maybe all the hinge work would be too much. Seems to be working with the squats though. Additionally, I end the training session with a KB farmers walk(different sized bells in each hand.) In fact, it may be a higher volume version of Dan John/Pavel's Easy Strength...

Yes, Steve, the hall monitor in you is correct(think old shredded wheat commercials.) I am, however, citing the source of the pressing, weighted pullup, kb snatch and kb swing programming that i am using. In no way was I attempting to diminish a superb stand-alone program. Merely, as I am newer to deep and correct squats(about 2 yrs) I continue to reinforce the movement pattern with frequent daily variations of said squats. I would think it a mistake to never take advantage of any other programming during this "foundation" building.

@rmace126, around my house, I am usually not referred to as "hall monitor" but rather "dips#$% with a clipboard" - but I get the general idea. :)

As long as "variety" remains that, your ROP is intact.

-S-

Reactions: Lew
I did a round of ROP in 2011 with the 16kg, unweighted pullups, while doing deadlifts on variety day.
ROP on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, and deadlifts on Tuesdays and Thursdays (PPPT style : 1 set of 5, a 2nd set of 5 at 90% of the first set).

I started the deadlifts set at 95 kg and I always kept it relatively low (logs shows no more than 115 kg during this period, and a lot waving up and down). I was 68 kg at the time, so the heaviest set was a 1,7 BW deadlift. Heavy enough to notice, but not enough to really tax me. I waved the weight a lot to ensure it would not impair recovery. I was actually more practicing and maintaining the DL than increasing it.

It worked well and I felt like I was having a complete program. And I just like to deadlift...

The point is to remember that it is variety day, make sure the DL are not slowing your progresses on ROP...

@jef, a few thoughts in response to your post - forgive me if this is too lengthy. Let's start with that your weight and my current weight are the same, 68 kg.

So much of appropriate, result-producing programming depends on how strong you are in general, how strong you are at each individual lift you're training, and where you are in your life as lifter.

E.g., I never did the ROP with 16 kg - it's just too light for me. No insult intended towards you, of course, but I need my numbers to make the point here. Had I done the ROP with 16 kg, I could have done just about anything on variety days and it would have worked out fine.

The same is true of the deadlifts. 115 kg is about 255 lbs. - that's a weight I can deadlift anywhere, anytime, and whether or not I've been training my deadlift. So again, for me, variety day deadlifts at that weight wouldn't adversely effect a pressing program or any other program.

The devil is in the details, which is why mixing programs is tricky business. You picked light weights, relatively speaking, for both parts of the program, so combining them worked. Had you gone heavier with either your presses or your deadlifts, things might have been different; we don't know where the line would have been in your case, but you can rest assured that, if you'd crossed it, you'd know it.

I hope this is helpful to someone - not intended to rant at your or anyone, just trying to make the point that, when we read about someone successfully combining programs, we need to know that we are not them and they are not us.

-S-

@Steve Freides
Agreed.
This is why I put the numbers, to show that in my case, the ROP cycle was relatively light. We need to keep everything in perspective.

I think the mistake would be to actually mix both programs, i.e. do a complete PTTP (deadlifts and presses, with relatively heavy weights) and ETK-ROP.
Nevertheless, PTTP-style deadlift on variety days are one option given in ETK. This is why I did it then, and kept the deadlifts relatively light (my 5RM was a bit over 130kg). It was more practice than training.

If I did it now, no longer being a novice (unfortunately), it would be very different. Both 16kg KB press and 115kg deadlift feel very light and I can do them anytime.

I actually plan to start again ROP with the 24 kg after I reach the Simple goal (hopefully soon enough), until I reach the actual ROP goal. I do not plan to mix it with twice-a-week deadlifts this time, with my 1 RM being slightly higher!

As you point out, all programming must be adapted to where you are in your training history, and all personal experience taken with that in mind.

Justin, I'm also moving up to ROP. I'm also going to deadlift on my variety days. I'm not sure how it'll go, but it makes sense to me.idont think 2x5 2 days a week is too much to ask for. That being said, I'm starting my deadlifts very light for me. It's a smart tactic. Anyways, I'd like us to keep each other acountable to sticking to the program. The only thing I'm doing differntly than rx'ed is that I can't do a pullup. So I'm going to do a bent over row with my kb's following the same ladder.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom