all posts post new thread

Barbell Deadlifts to supplement KB training (a question about weight)...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Opiaswing

Level 5 Valued Member
I am looking to add deadlifts to my routine for the sole purpose of getting stronger for kettlebells. I don't want to go heavy heavy, nor am I interested in the notion of continually adding weight to the bar (the carrot dangling in front of the horses mouth comes to mind).

My question is would 130kg-140kg deadlifts suffice, given that they're over double the weight of the heaviest kettlebell ill be using (64kg kettlebell)?

I would rather add reps and speed than even more weight, but curious as to if this weight would be effective.

Last edited:
In my experience the magic happened when I went over 200kg or to 500 lbs. That made my heaviest kettlebell, 40kg, surprisingly light and it happened fast.

I suppose. The only way that deadlifts have helped me with kettlebells is for me to do deadlifts and then train swings or snatches right after, the bells fly. Deadlifts will add strength, the draw back in my opinion, is the dynamic motion of the bells compared to the not so dynamic deadlifts. For me grip is always the issue, I can deadlift 500lbs but my grip is an issue when it comes to swings and snatches with say the 32.

I love heavy deadlifts with heavy KB swing ladders.
I've found that heavier on the deadlift is better for making the bells feel lighter

Volume and speed will act as a progression with a submaximal weight.

If you start of with a given weight that is challenging and build up volume or explosive speed with it you will get stronger - for a little bit at least. This is a limited option and at some point more weight will be required. The force necessary to swing a 40+kg Bell is probably on par or higher than that to grind a biomechanically easier movement like a deadlift.

I remember a quote (either Charles Staley or Ian King) - fitness is like a rope ladder, pulling one of the rungs up will raise it. However by pulling the top rung all those below raise as well - maximal strength is the top rung in all fitness qualities.

Last edited:
I am looking to add deadlifts to my routine for the sole purpose of getting stronger for kettlebells. I don't want to go heavy heavy, nor am I interested in the notion of continually adding weight to the bar (the carrot dangling in front of the horses mouth comes to mind).

My question is would 130kg-140kg deadlifts suffice, given that they're over double the weight of the heaviest kettlebell ill be using (64kg kettlebell)?

I would rather add reps and speed than even more weight, but curious as to if this weight would be effective.
I think not.

Pulling deadlifts of 370lbs did nothing noticeable for my swings nor for my TGUs.

I suppose. The only way that deadlifts have helped me with kettlebells is for me to do deadlifts and then train swings or snatches right after, the bells fly. Deadlifts will add strength, the draw back in my opinion, is the dynamic motion of the bells compared to the not so dynamic deadlifts. For me grip is always the issue, I can deadlift 500lbs but my grip is an issue when it comes to swings and snatches with say the 32.
I agree. The problem for me is also the grip. My body can handle the heavy swings but not my grip.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom