all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Deadlifts VS Squat: Which best supplements KB training?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Opiaswing

Level 5 Valued Member
Question: IF you had to pick just ONE of the two, which is more beneficial to benefit Kb training? Squat or deadlift?

————————————————————-

I ask because I recently signed up to a gym and hit a 418lb deadlift on my second day deadlifting, having done nothing but heavy kettlebells for years prior.

Before that, I never really deadlifted either - perhaps once a month for fun.

However, my squat doesn’t seem to be much at all. I think I was squatting 90kg (30kg each side plus 20kg bar) for 3 reps.

So this could go either way right? The obvious transfer of kB to deadlift could mean that: better deadlift = better Kb.. or ..

Would the lack of squat strength potentially be a missing link in the chain and if I focussed on squat, would I garner more improvements in my Kb it is overtly neglected..

What’s your take? Squat or DL (yes both ideally, but I’m curious)

Generally speaking, unless you are an elite lifter, whatever load you can squat you can also deadlift it too without training. The opposite is rarely true.

The same holds true for other lifts: if you can overhead press it, you can also bench it no problem.

So, as a generalist, I would always choose those exercises that give me the most bang for the buck.

IF you had to pick just ONE of the two, which is more beneficial to benefit Kb training? Squat or deadlift?

Tough question to answer as there are a lot of unspecified variables there.

I know you like to use REALLY HEAVY kettlebells so I'm not surprised it gives you a big deadlift. And yeah, squat is a different thing for sure. Sounds like you could make some easy gains there, and then you would see for yourself what the effects are! One thing to keep in mind is that the type of squat will affect the outcome. Normally for myself and my trainees I like the low-bar back squat. However in your case (posterior chain already super strong), I'm thinking you might benefit more from a high-bar back squat, or even a front squat.

Question: IF you had to pick just ONE of the two, which is more beneficial to benefit Kb training? Squat or deadlift?
Depends on what kettlebell lifting and what overall goals. Pure strength, Deadlift; strength and hypertrophy, squat. If time, SQ 2x/week and DL 1x/week.

-S-

I think the deadlift is more synergistic but the squat will plug the gaps better

My thoughts entirely.

Generally speaking, unless you are an elite lifter, whatever load you can squat you can also deadlift it too without training. The opposite is rarely true.

The same holds true for other lifts: if you can overhead press it, you can also bench it no problem.

So, as a generalist, I would always choose those exercises that give me the most bang for the buck.

I wasn’t aware of the ‘if you can squat it, you can probably deadlift it, but not vice versa.’ It does make sense though given a squat is similar in movement but greater ROM

Tough question to answer as there are a lot of unspecified variables there.

I know you like to use REALLY HEAVY kettlebells so I'm not surprised it gives you a big deadlift. And yeah, squat is a different thing for sure. Sounds like you could make some easy gains there, and then you would see for yourself what the effects are! One thing to keep in mind is that the type of squat will affect the outcome. Normally for myself and my trainees I like the low-bar back squat. However in your case (posterior chain already super strong), I'm thinking you might benefit more from a high-bar back squat, or even a front squat.

Very helpful Anna. I have been leaning towards high bar ‘olympic’ style back squats just because it feels so comfortable.

I’m not necessarily trying to be as strong as I possibly can, just well rounded so will probably go with the squat as swings are already clearly doing their job on posteriors chain ‘pulling’ strength. Plus it’s such a fun movement.

@Opiaswing ..."....having done nothing but heavy kettlebells for years prior."

Could it be possible that your squat form and/or technique could use some refinement? Proper form is essential to making heavy lifts.

Carl in Dover

My form is great with the squat. The cool thing about kettlebells (swings/goblet squats/etc) is that they teach great form for the compound movements. I do notice however that it is harder mentally in that you need to be a bit more ballsy to commit to a lift. With a deadlift you can just drop it. Perhaps this played a part.

If I remember correctly I read somewhere that Pavel said once a gent can comfortably swing 2x32 for 10x10 posterior chain developement needs no longer be his priority.
Obviously this is true for you.
I agree with @Anna C and would say work on high bar squats and/or front squats.
Personally I found BB front squats feel very comfortable and natural for me since I am quite tall (1,95m). Yet I do them with Kettlebells because I traim at home but I'd def consider dping them with a BB if I had regular access to one.

Doesn't matter. I think the deadlift is a more important move than the squat personally.

Blasphemy ;)

Personally I'm keen on the view of primal movement patterns pushed by Chek.

Hip hinge
Squat
Lunge
Gait
Push
Pull
Rotation

Your training needs to cover all seven in some shape or form.

Arguably deadlift and swing (or variant) are the same thing. The load through the choice of implement (barbell vs Kettlebell) may change the result from training (power, strength, muscle) but they are the same - a hip hinge and unless your Goblet or front squatting with KB a barbell squat would round out your development more.

I think you answered your own question in yout post. Squat needs some work.

Obviously, if you do more Swings and/or Snatches then you could focus more on BB squats. If you do more KB Front Squats then focus on Deadlifts.

The deadlift by far transfers more to kb movements. The deadlift represents how much total body strength a human is capable of. Furthermore the deadlift and kb swing are both hinges. One is a ballistic and the other is strength movement. Both movements are used to develop the hip hinge and posterior chain and they complement each other nicely. Now having a low squat compared to your deadlift is a good thing and could show up during lockout of the deadlift or push pressing a heavy bell.

Depends on what kind of "kettlebell training" you're doing... That's too broad. "Kettlebell training" can mean so many different things.

+1 on the squat for this reason.

@Glen, everyone needs to have a good squat movement pattern but not everyone needs to load it. My general recommendation strength without a lot of muscle gain is the Deadlift combined with a press. Squat well, squat regularly, but it can be a warmup or variety lift.

-S-

Unfortunately I don't remeber any details.
The swing dominates the snatch in lower-body strength development and hypertrophy, simply because one can swing a lot more weight. Ladies who get on a regular diet of two-handed swings with 32-48kg never fail to develop spectacular curves. And once a gent can confidently swing a pair of 32s — as opposed to being swung by them — posterior chain strength is no longer his #1 priority.

Swing Versus Snatch | StrongFirst

well, i perfer the squat more than the DL. You have already had a lot of hip hinge exercises with kettlebell

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom